Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Aug 2000, 17:54 (Ref:30184)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched 20 laps of the race. In lap 8 Murray awarded the race to McLaren. In lap 20 he awarded it to Mika.

There was no reason to continue watching unless I wanted to watch and see if Mika's car would break or TGF would fall off the track... or if another goofball would wander onto the track just so something, ANYTHING, would happen.

This track should be dumped from the schedule instead of Hockehneim. What a complete an dutter waste of time.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 17:56 (Ref:30186)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

Unfortunately, it's unlikely now that the dullest GP on the calendar will be ditched, seeing as Bernie has been given the freedom of the city of Budapest.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 18:02 (Ref:30190)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Liz, I was about to post a topic "Booooooorrrrriiiinnngg Race"... but you came first.
Can anyone suggest to FIA blow up this circuit ?
Old 13 Aug 2000, 18:13 (Ref:30191)   #4
JAM
Rookie

JAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure a dull race. Other than the great start from Mika, the close position battle of DC trying to come out of the 2nd pit stop ahead of TGF, and the final close chase of DC on TGF, this race was just another plain F1 race.

Definitely, a track were the aerodinamics of the car just makes overtaking almost impossible.

The only encouraging factors are:

1. What a drive from Mika. Whoever said that he was out of championship drive, what an answer.

2. Everything indicates that the next 3 races are more suitable for McLaren. Talking about pressure on TGF. After leading the entire season, TGF and Ferrari now go to low down force circuits behind McLaren.

3. The championship battle is wide open for MH, TGF and DC. What an end of the season!
Old 13 Aug 2000, 18:58 (Ref:30200)   #5
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!

I almost fell asleep during the race! There was absolutely nothing happening too. No prost flying everywhere!, only 1 major blowup (Thanks to Minardi) and a lot of boring spins mostly from Johnny Herbert. If this is what is going to become of F1 in future years then there will be no point in watching it! What a total and utter procession the race was!

Ally ;(
Old 13 Aug 2000, 19:01 (Ref:30201)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boring: yes
Fascinating: err... yes!!!
I thought TGF would walk this year but now I havn't a clue!!!
Plus which in Spa Schumi SHOULD win (he usually does) blowing the door on the championship WIDER OPEN STILL!!!

But what a dull race!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Aug 2000, 19:44 (Ref:30204)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Well, everyone thought TGF would win at Spa in 1998...I'd like to see someone new on the top step, seeing as no-one outside the top 2 teams (or the top 4 in the championship) has won this season.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 21:03 (Ref:30225)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once the Europeans get a really good look at CART (wonderful race today!) and the ELMS, I'll be surprised if anybody but wealthy friends of Bernie and sponsors attend or watch Formula One at all.

Had I been a German in attendance, I would have thought about firing a few rockets across the track, just to see whether I could wake anybody up. Not even any decent moves by Diniz today.
Old 13 Aug 2000, 21:56 (Ref:30242)   #9
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RG, any one in particular in mind?

I did fall asleep! I can't believe that I woke up at 4:00am for that! Well I get me best sleep during the Hungarian GP's I had a dream me and TGF were discussing CART and superspeed-ways! Ah well atleast williams cleared benetton be two more points.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 00:42 (Ref:30272)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee Loz, although I am a big Castro-Neves fan, I thought today's Cart race was quite boring. There were few good battles and the entire race was dominated by one team. Sounds like F1 to me.

But, overall Cart is more exciting.

Today's F1 race was pretty bad too. I think Jacques did some of the only passing in his climb through the backmarkers.

I hate to say it, but unless it rains in beloved Spa, I wouldn't expect anything better.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 00:48 (Ref:30275)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - a totally boring race. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Thankyou Gaston for blowing up in fine style, Herbert for providing us with some spin-induced entertainment, Mika for driving superbly, and everyone else for being BORING.

And as for the TV director... ARE THEY HIRING CHIMPS NOW???

When I phoned him this evening, Tourist said to me, "I didn't watch the race, I was watching a McLaren promotional video."

Old 14 Aug 2000, 01:54 (Ref:30326)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Murray and Martin have bet their entire retirement income on McLaren winning the WDC. That is my explanation.

On the other hand, John Watson said bluntly during the run-up to the race, "The chief stewards have decided that Ferrari are going to win this year and nothing anyone can do can change their minds about that." So it is not only the Ferrari Conspiracy people on this Board who think so.

P.S. to Jay, it was not as exciting as some CART races, but it was a lot more exciting than the F1 race. And I have to like a race where my Gil comes in a very comfortable second! And I didn't see Johnny Bravo climbing up the fence after his win either.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 02:07 (Ref:30331)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Well, I haven't seen this "drama" unfold yet-I had been looking forward to the replay tomorrow on Speedvision, but after what this crowd's sayin', I think its early to bed and no race.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 02:28 (Ref:30337)   #14
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Highlights

Start Hakkinen makes good get away from 3rd on the grid to lead into turn 1
Lap77 Hakkinen wins the Hungarian GP

That is all.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 02:29 (Ref:30338)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

I should have gone to bed after the first lap.
Old 14 Aug 2000, 03:50 (Ref:30352)   #16
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eehhh, it was alright. Hockenheim two weeks ago got us all overexcited and we were (secretly) expecting sth unusual. But now that I think, Hungaroring this year was not much less exciting than Hockenheim last season. What made Hock so fun was fast cars qualifying behind and the different loads of fuel. Wonder if Bernie could think up sth like reverse grid, the perverse mind that he has . Hoh and did you notice Mika, his intimate(you know what I mean) life must have radically improved lately-no trace of that maso-melancholic look.
Oh, one last thing-if there's one place Schumi could win, it is Spa (if his car holds), the other is Monaco...
Old 14 Aug 2000, 05:15 (Ref:30359)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Bernie and the creative control at the FIA saw what happened in Germany, and would not let it happen again... who out of F1 could do a Bobby Rahal and run the series, and do things which the majority of people support?

Lets ditch the wings, ditch the grooves and get the cars running around an airport somewhere, then F1 might get some more fans.

I watched the first 8 laps on f1-live.com, then the delayed coverage came on the TV...i didn't make it past the formation lap...
Old 14 Aug 2000, 06:01 (Ref:30363)   #18
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...see?

True this race was eventless!!!...but my admiration for Hakka has soared up...not only for his speed but for his professional understanding of the sport- " Even then it was very close, I was close to Michael for the first corner but then that's what the racing should be. We came around that corner in one piece, so that also explains that sometimes when you do have something like that near the first corner, you need good drivers and this was the case, and all drivers did the right thing. "
Old 14 Aug 2000, 09:49 (Ref:30382)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with everybody - another bore-athon but why pick on Hungary as the only 'criminal'.

On this forum there have been many comments about other dull and boring races this year. How many times have we heard Martin, in his GP build up, tell us how "Overtaking here is so difficult" or "this circuit is just about impossible to pass on".

At this point I always think, why are they racing there then? Am I alone in this......

Is it the cars or the circuit's or both. Or is it just a lack of overtaking in European motorsport. The same comments are made about the BTCC, F3, GT's, even the TOCA support races have lacked much overtaking.

Commnentators go made if they see one overtaking move per race - I thought that was what we were all there for.....
Old 14 Aug 2000, 11:43 (Ref:30411)   #20
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fell asleep aswell, in the middle of the afternoon, that was sooooooo boring. I try to explain to my wife what makes F1 so exciting to me, and then that happens and....well, what can you say. Thanks Max, thanks Bernie for the wonderful fare you put before us.
Please God will somebody do something. Surely, at some point the ratings will drop a percent or two and alarm bells may finally start ringing in the ears of the powers that be!!
Fat chance, eh?
Old 14 Aug 2000, 17:40 (Ref:30495)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We in North America get spoiled by all the passing in Cart races, and F1 racin usually just seems like a parade.

PS didn't I say it would be a real bore in my race predictions?
Old 14 Aug 2000, 18:17 (Ref:30504)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.S
RG, any one in particular in mind?

Who, me??? Never!