Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Feb 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2639787)   #876
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it is now official, the FLM (LMPC) cars will be included for LMS grids. Here

L.P.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 06:49 (Ref:2640153)   #877
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I'm sorry, did I miss something? A video of a nice sounding race car? Where?! :P
Mariantic's blog posted a link to some photos and a video.
Here is the link to the vid, you may have to scroll down past several videos to find the Rebellion video.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2640194)   #878
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
Given the comments (relating to lack of power and straight line speed) from the FLMC teams at the WDWT, I have slight concerns that these cars could become something of a nuisance in the LMS. There is scope in the ALMS to give them a boost in power, but not in the LMS.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2640212)   #879
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Given the comments (relating to lack of power and straight line speed) from the FLMC teams at the WDWT, I have slight concerns that these cars could become something of a nuisance in the LMS. There is scope in the ALMS to give them a boost in power, but not in the LMS.
For P1 & P2 cars it will probably be like having a few more GT2's of the track. The problem may well be for GT2 you will find these cars in the midst of there class battles.

It seems a little odd to include them in LMS races as they dont appear to need to make up the numbers as they do in ALMS.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2640368)   #880
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
So now that these cars are included in both ALMS and LMS, will they be allowed at Le Mans in 2011?

DK
Old 25 Feb 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2640383)   #881
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I hope not , as the only reason that they are presant on the ALMS grid is to boost the grid . Fortunatly the ACO & Le Mans dont have that issue .
Old 25 Feb 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2640413)   #882
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
So now that these cars are included in both ALMS and LMS, will they be allowed at Le Mans in 2011?

DK

As they are now, I doubt it. Unless there is some waiver action going on for the engine. Then it is possible they might/could be entered as a P-2. It all depends on the level of submitted entries in 2011 and what class those submissions are. It is a stretch, IMO, but not that far of one, as the performance #s given for 2011 P-2 are right in the ballpark of the FLM/LMPC class.

L.P.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2640484)   #883
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I hope not , as the only reason that they are presant on the ALMS grid is to boost the grid . Fortunatly the ACO & Le Mans dont have that issue .
If you are running 1000k races you should be targeting 40+ car grids.

With only P1, P2 and GT2 you need a fourth class.

*I'm assuming GT1 will be dropped after this season.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2640570)   #884
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
As they are now, I doubt it. Unless there is some waiver action going on for the engine. Then it is possible they might/could be entered as a P-2. It all depends on the level of submitted entries in 2011 and what class those submissions are. It is a stretch, IMO, but not that far of one, as the performance #s given for 2011 P-2 are right in the ballpark of the FLM/LMPC class.
L.P.
I think you have to also consider the input from other manufacturers. Lola, Zytek, Pesca/Oak et. al., may not be too keen on allowing Oreca to corner the P2 market. They would much rather lease used P2 chassis or sell new ones to teams. Certainly they won't stand for a low price alternative to be snuck into the back of the room and then promoted to the front row. So while some may dream of a cheap upgrade from the C class to P1/P2 group, I doubt the ACO would risk upsetting so many partners.

Further, independents like Radical or Embassy have spent fortunes trying to compete, and now they would have to also contend with low tech knock-offs? Such a path would risk all the manufacturers leaving to form some spin-off series and we have all seen how destructive such actions can be. (curse you for-ever T@%^ effin G&^&**)(sorry, off topic cursing)
Old 25 Feb 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2640583)   #885
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
I think you have to also consider the input from other manufacturers. Lola, Zytek, Pesca/Oak et. al., may not be too keen on allowing Oreca to corner the P2 market. They would much rather lease used P2 chassis or sell new ones to teams. Certainly they won't stand for a low price alternative to be snuck into the back of the room and then promoted to the front row. So while some may dream of a cheap upgrade from the C class to P1/P2 group, I doubt the ACO would risk upsetting so many partners.

Further, independents like Radical or Embassy have spent fortunes trying to compete, and now they would have to also contend with low tech knock-offs? Such a path would risk all the manufacturers leaving to form some spin-off series and we have all seen how destructive such actions can be. (curse you for-ever T@%^ effin G&^&**)(sorry, off topic cursing)
Hmm, and who suggested that no other mfgs. would be in P-2? And just what do you think these chassis are? They are a full Oreca prototype with spec. ancillaries attached! Any other mfg. could produce the same if they wished! And lets not forget that to be competitive in P-2 there would be other things that would need changing on the FLM chassis. Also who is to say that the Lola and other chassis will not be brought into a similar control spec., in their P-2 configuration, in order to control costs to the privateers that run them? Which possibly could bring customers to all the mfgs. because of the (reported) lower cost. Also mfgs. such as Radical and Norma will probably be very happy with that, as they are, basically, producing similar models now.

L.P.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2640588)   #886
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post

I don't think we have seen any announcements from the Lola, Zytek or Pesca camps about building a car for the 2011 P2 regs - which may be leaning towards a lower cost class. So far Norma is the only manufacturer to confirm (and crash test) a car for the new regs. So I guess we will have to wait and see how much the Norma is going to cost to buy and run. But I don't think the other manufacturers are having anything snuck behind them.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2640604)   #887
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I can't help worrying that with stories like the proposed development freeze on homologated LMP2 chassis for 2011 on (in today's print Autosport), the situation could end up being slanted things towards a spec chassis like the ORECA FLM.

All of this would, to my eye, run completely contrary to the ethos of LMP2 - which should be an arena where constructors could build and run a straightforward prototype, and critically where garagistes could compete for class honours without having to compete against much better resourced factory entries.

One does rather have to hope that the ACO is keeping its eye on the ball here.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2640618)   #888
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In LMP2 many teams were burned after they bought competitive Lolas, Courages and Radicals, only to see their cars at the back of the class once the Porsche and Acura's arrived.

All of the well established manufactuer's should be able to produce a pretty distinctive and competive car first time around, P2 teams shouldn't be expected to upgrade their cars each season.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2640636)   #889
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
That'd be a first!
Old 26 Feb 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2640782)   #890
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, Fisichella and Alesi, are testing at Vallelunga with AF Corse:

racingworld.it
Old 26 Feb 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2640786)   #891
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
In LMP2 many teams were burned after they bought competitive Lolas, Courages and Radicals, only to see their cars at the back of the class once the Porsche and Acura's arrived.

All of the well established manufactuer's should be able to produce a pretty distinctive and competive car first time around, P2 teams shouldn't be expected to upgrade their cars each season.
I believe the Autosport article mentioned performance balancing for P2, so you'd then hope that cars like the RS Spyder would be limited to P1. But I'm not sure P2 necessarily needs performance balancing, unless its just to help smaller builders like Radical, Lucchini and Norma.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:01 (Ref:2640806)   #892
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I can't help worrying that with stories like the proposed development freeze on homologated LMP2 chassis for 2011 on (in today's print Autosport), the situation could end up being slanted things towards a spec chassis like the ORECA FLM.

All of this would, to my eye, run completely contrary to the ethos of LMP2 - which should be an arena where constructors could build and run a straightforward prototype, and critically where garagistes could compete for class honours without having to compete against much better resourced factory entries.

My understanding is that is will be spec gearbox, spec brakes, GT2 homologated engines and free chassis and tyres.

Ben
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2640818)   #893
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vallelunga test, gallery in update:

racingworld.it
Old 26 Feb 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2641090)   #894
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting mix of specifications of car at that test - I guess they do have a lot of chassis to choose from!

Seemed to me that the car with Alesi/Fisichella/Vilander labeled above the door and the late 2009 livery was running with the new wide-body spec while the other cars were not. Various different hood and front splitter packages in evidence too. 3 of the cars seemed to be running Michelins but the Pirelli-logo car did not...was it actually testing Pirellis? Or were those just old logos?
Old 26 Feb 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2641098)   #895
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
My understanding is that is will be spec gearbox, spec brakes, GT2 homologated engines and free chassis and tyres.

Ben
GT-2 homologated engines up to 4.0L are part of what is on the agenda for P-1. I doubt that they would be used in both, but... maybe with different restrictors.

L.P.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2641110)   #896
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
GT-2 homologated engines up to 4.0L are part of what is on the agenda for P-1.

L.P.
No, P2.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2641115)   #897
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Yep, my bad!

L.P.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2641179)   #898
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
It has probably been asked and answered already, and I missed it, but, what of Team WFR in 2010?

L.P.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2641191)   #899
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Not heard diddley since Silverstone, last year.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2641217)   #900
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
It has probably been asked and answered already, and I missed it, but, what of Team WFR in 2010?

L.P.
The last mention of the team on Tenths was as a result of a recruitment ad having been spotted (in Autosport, I think).