Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2023, 07:39 (Ref:4158698)   #426
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Newish format for test days makes it harder surely as so close to race - presumably all pits set up as for race plus all the other stuff on the circuit. Can’t see any on timings for 2022 or even back in 2017.

Have any cars dropped out in recent years after test day incidents? Used to have time to totally rebuild a car from a new tub back at base - probably not now.
Old 29 May 2023, 09:14 (Ref:4158718)   #427
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
THe cost of a team taking a car to the test day would be prohibative on the off chance that someone drops out with a week to go, however teams with only one entry but one on the reserve list my decide it is worth taking the spare car just in case.
Old 29 May 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4158740)   #428
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks. I figured no one would for the reasons said. So was thinking hypothetically. Maybe to double up or give a driver some mileage.

We did have a weird situation some time ago when it was like pre-qualifying. Or you were European based and logistically it was simple for you.
Old 31 May 2023, 12:52 (Ref:4158961)   #429
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have cobbled together my entry list. It is traditional for this list to contain some errors...

RIP GTE Pro. A sad development but one tied to the explosion of interest in Hypercar.

Hypercar
16 entries! This is the biggest top class since 2015, which featured 14 cars. Three 2015 entrants are represented in 2023: Toyota, Porsche and, amazingly, ByKolles/Vanwall.

Entries per manufacturer
Porsche - 4
Cadillac - 3
Ferrari, Glickenhaus, Peugout, Toyota - 2
Vanwall - 1

LMP2
This is the first all Oreca entry. 24 of them. Even Alpine have stopped pretending.

Entries per manufacturer
Orecas! Orecas everywhere!

GTE Am
21 entries here, with a little more variety than in recent years thanks to the Corvette joining the usual Astons, Ferraris and Porsches.

Entries per manufacturer
Porsche - 8
Ferrari - 7
Aston Martin - 5
Chevrolet - 1

Garage 56
A welcome return for the oddball entry. This heavily modified NASCAR Chevy Camaro should be a crowd pleaser. The last time we had a G56 car was Fred Sausset's incredible effort in 2016.

Drivers
186 in total
31 LM rookies. This is quite a low number compared to recent years. There were 51 last year, which was more than usual.

Driver gradings

Platinum 71 (38%)
Gold 46 (25%)
Silver 39 (21%)
Bronze 30 (16%)

The high percentage of Platinums reflects the large hypercar class, which is slightly larger than Hypercar + GTE Pro from recent years. This year there are 45 cars in the 'Pro Am' classes (LMP2 and GTE Am). Last year there were 50. All three G56 drivers are also Platinum rated.

Driver nationalities

France 33
Great Britain 24
USA 21
Italy 14
Denmark 13
Belgium, Switzerland 9
Japan 8
Netherlands 7
Brazil, Germany 5
Argentina 4
Austria, New Zealnd, Spain 3
Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Ireland, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, R***** 2
Angola, Chile, China, Estonia, Lichtenstein, Oman, Romania, Turkey, Venezuela 1

Driver crews with most starts
Hypercar - #708 Glickenhaus Racing 45 starts

LMP2 - #32 Inter Europol Competition 26 starts (these are mostly just J Mag)

GTE Am - #54 AF Corse 21 starts

Driver crews with fewest starts
Hypercar - #4 Floyd Vanwall 3 starts
LMP2 - #9 Prema Racing and #63 Prema Racing, both 1 start each
GTE Am - #16 Proton Competition, #21 AF Corse, #72 TF Sport, #74 Kessel Racing, #98 Northwest AMR, all with 2 starts each (feels a bit weird to say 2 starts for NW AMR)

Average and median starts per driver
Hypercar - average 6.2 starts, median 6 starts
LMP2 - average 3.8 starts, median 2 starts
GTE Am - avearge 3.1 starts, median 2 starts
These might look quite low but they are pretty typical

Previous overall winners - 13

Bamber, Buemi, Conway, Dumas, Duval, Hartley, Hirakawa, Jani, Kobayashi, Lopez, Lotterer, Rockenfeller, Tandy

Previous class winners (excl overall) - 35 (not sure about this total)

Some other thoughts...
The quality of drivers this year is high.
48 (100%) Platinum or Gold in Hypercar
45 (62.5%) Platinum or Gold in LMP2 (max permitted by the sporting regs is 66.6%)
21 (33.3%) Platinum or Gold in GTE Am (this is the max permitted by the sporting regs).

The quality of the pros in the LMP2 Pro Am field is worth a mention too.
#13 Tower Motorsports Ricky Taylor, Rene Rast
#14 Nielsen Racing Mathias Beche, Ben Hanley
#32 Inter Europol Competition Jan Magnussen, Anders Fjordbach

#37 Cool Racing Nicolas Lapierre, Malthe Jakobsen
#39 Graff Racing Patrick Pilet, Giedo van der Garde
#43 DKR Engineering Maxime Martin, Ugo de Wilde
#45 Algarve Pro Racing James Allen, Colin Braun
#80 AF Corse Norman Nato, Ben Barnicoat
#923 Racing Team Turkey Dries Vanthoor, Tom Gamble

If the Ams can keep it neat and tidy for their 6 hours these guys could spring a surprise, especially with Bronze drivers like Francois Perrodo and Salih Yoluc in the mix.

This is the third year of Hypercar but it feels like another new beginning. Hopefully we get a good race. Next year we will also have Apline, BMW and Lamborghini in Hypercar and a few more privateers. And a completely revamped GT field with much more variety. Hard to believe after the lean years we have had recently.

Last edited by Mike E; 31 May 2023 at 12:57.
Old 31 May 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4158964)   #430
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some top stating there Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
...Germany 5
I'm always surprised at the small numbers of Germans at LM - both drivers and fans, especially when brands such as Porsche have such an illustrious history in the race.

Perhaps they favour the Nurburgring 24hrs (with good reason).
Old 31 May 2023, 13:25 (Ref:4158969)   #431
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a fantastic piece of work Mike

I was also surprised to see just 5 German drivers in the field, extraordinary. 13 overall winners back too - impressive.
Old 31 May 2023, 14:29 (Ref:4158978)   #432
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes thanks for that Mike, some interesting facts in that
Old 31 May 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4158979)   #433
Dominion
Rookie

Dominion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDominion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The level of talent in LMP2 this year is incredible, especially when you consider the amount of top drivers that have gone to Hypercar.

Doesn’t look to be a weak team to me, even last year you’d have the odd bronze/bronze /silver car where it looked like a few gents had chipped in to get there, now even pro-am is full of quality drivers alongside the bronzes.
Old 31 May 2023, 17:58 (Ref:4159003)   #434
rika
Racer

rika should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
I'm always surprised at the small numbers of Germans at LM - both drivers and fans, especially when brands such as Porsche have such an illustrious history in the race.

I think if you study history of Porsche brand they always had very different nationalities competing for them even in succesful years 80-90.
And not focus on German drivers.

So probably not surprise?

I mean just look at drivers winning with Porsche cars not only at Le Mans but in World Sportscar racers

Ickx, Wollek, Bell, Holbert, Schuppan all raced for works team.
And then strong private teams had Pescarolo, Barilla, Ghinzani, Boutsen, Larrauri, Sigala, Pareja, Baldi, Lammers, Dumfries and I sure forget many good drivers!!!
Old 31 May 2023, 19:41 (Ref:4159016)   #435
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good point Rika. Perhaps also German motorsport fans have had plenty of F1 superstars to follow (The Schumachers, S Vettel, etc.) this century so sportscar racing might not get a look in.
Old 31 May 2023, 21:28 (Ref:4159026)   #436
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Driver crews with fewest starts
Hypercar - #4 Floyd Vanwall 3 starts
Love the post, great work.

I feel pretty mean querying this, but I think the Kolles crew have 4 starts?
Dillman's been with Kolles 3 times previously, and I think Vautier was in LMP2 last year.
I'm sure Kolles is still the least experienced Hypercar crew though.
Old 31 May 2023, 21:32 (Ref:4159028)   #437
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Love the post, great work.

I feel pretty mean querying this, but I think the Kolles crew have 4 starts?
Dillman's been with Kolles 3 times previously, and I think Vautier was in LMP2 last year.
I'm sure Kolles is still the least experienced Hypercar crew though.
I told you there were errors. You're right, 4 starts in total for the #4.
Old 31 May 2023, 23:27 (Ref:4159036)   #438
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
German drivers 3rd on overall win list after GB and France and almost 3 x as many wins as GB in last 25 years and 2 x France and Denmark. Less success in last few years. But agree very few this year despite Porsche and Proton teams.

Mercedes especially and currently Audi plus BMW have loads of GT cars in other series plus all the Porsche one make stuff.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 00:36 (Ref:4159043)   #439
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I have cobbled together my entry list. It is traditional for this list to contain some errors...
It’s wonderful. Thanks.

Quote:
Hypercar
16 entries! This is the biggest top class since 2015, which featured 14 cars. Three 2015 entrants are represented in 2023: Toyota, Porsche and, amazingly, ByKolles/Vanwall.
I’ve had to change my analysis to include this many!
Old 1 Jun 2023, 15:42 (Ref:4159146)   #440
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New drivers listed in the #88 Proton RSR.

- Harry Tincknell
- Donald Yount
- Jonas Ried

https://endurance24.fr/24h-du-mans-d...f23xMyw70F3aiQ
Old 1 Jun 2023, 17:06 (Ref:4159156)   #441
Mike E
Veteran

Peugeots are looking a bit brighter

https://twitter.com/24hoursoflemans/...IRpEbxDRA&s=19
Old 1 Jun 2023, 17:10 (Ref:4159159)   #442
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Peugeots are looking a bit brighter
Seems they forgot the rear wing in the workshop…
Old 1 Jun 2023, 17:20 (Ref:4159161)   #443
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i like the one on display last year at le mans but since then they have not looked as good
Old 1 Jun 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4159162)   #444
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, for those worrying about the weather it is currently a sunny 27 degrees where we are slightly west of Le Mans. Yup we arrived today ?
In other news the Harlequin in Arnage is no more
It's now a pizza restaurant

Ayse - Sorry - edited instead of quoting - doh!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 1 Jun 2023 at 18:23.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 18:23 (Ref:4159165)   #445
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
So, for those worrying about the weather it is currently a sunny 27 degrees where we are slightly west of Le Mans. Yup we arrived today ?
In other news the Harlequin in Arnage is no more
It's now a pizza restaurant
Pah. They did that to our favourite restaurant, Le Belinois at Monce-en-Belin Now I think it's closed completely. We had some fabulous meals there over the years - mainly late 90's-early 00's.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4159169)   #446
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i would have thought there was a limit on the number of pizza places that can survive in a given area. France was once a place famed for its food what the hell happened
Old 1 Jun 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4159177)   #447
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I assume places like Arnage are fairly quiet during the other 51 weeks of the year.

Pizza is also the cheapest genre of restaurant to run in terms of raw materials and staff skills - plus always does a roaring take away trade.

I'm sure our comrades from across La Manche can explain the reasons for a general loss of trade (if there is one) - I suspect it is the same the world over, longer working hours, easier access to transport, supermarkets etc.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 22:31 (Ref:4159202)   #448
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I needed to grab the list of this years driver classifications. I thought it might be of help for the race:
https://driverscategorisation.fia.com/public/drivers

The entry list will specify them too, but this is searchable and can be imported (with a little effort) for analysis if you so desire. Maybe you want to produce a nice table?
Old 2 Jun 2023, 07:24 (Ref:4159239)   #449
Mike E
Veteran

If you are having a very slow day you can watch scrutineering

https://www.youtube.com/live/6U297sQffNA?feature=share
Old 2 Jun 2023, 07:32 (Ref:4159242)   #450
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Does anyone have the scrutineering order for today and tomorrow handy - I'm sure it's been posted somewhere.....?

Edit. Found it.

https://assets.lemans.org/explorer/p...ire-pesage.pdf

Last edited by Aysedasi; 2 Jun 2023 at 07:58.