Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2022, 15:57 (Ref:4134513)   #1
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Motorsport Quiz

A little game for the off-season. The rules are very simple.

I will ask a quiz question about motorsport. Whoever gets the question right asks the next question, whoever gets that one right asks the next question and so forth.

If you get one right but don't want to ask the next question, anyone is allowed to butt in with a question, and the chain continues from there.

When asking a question, you must specify whether we are allowed to research to help us find it, or if it must be done entirely using your own brain. (If not specified, assume research is allowed).

Clues can be given at the discretion of the question-asker. It is also up to the question-asker to decide when to reveal the answer, and if nobody gets it then that person is free to ask another, or allow anyone to ask the next question.

The topic of the question can be anything to do with motorsport, past or present. This is in the Formula 1 section because I assume most people will want to ask about F1, but it can be any motorsport.

So, my starting question is, what have the following drivers done, which nobody else has?

Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Denny Hulme
Emerson Fittipaldi
Alain Prost (x3)
Ayrton Senna
Nico Rosberg

You could also argue that Graham Hill should be on the list, but I wouldn’t include him.

Clue: it is something that can only be done during a championship-winning season. Research is permitted.

I hope you enjoy the game

Last edited by BTCC frog; 22 Nov 2022 at 16:18.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 21:40 (Ref:4134536)   #2
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post

I will ask a quiz question about motorsport. Whoever gets the question right asks the next question, whoever gets that one right asks the next question and so forth.

If you get one right but don't want to ask the next question, anyone is allowed to butt in with a question, and the chain continues from there.

When asking a question, you must specify whether we are allowed to research to help us find it, or if it must be done entirely using your own brain. (If not specified, assume research is allowed).

Clues can be given at the discretion of the question-asker. It is also up to the question-asker to decide when to reveal the answer, and if nobody gets it then that person is free to ask another, or allow anyone to ask the next question.

The topic of the question can be anything to do with motorsport, past or present. This is in the Formula 1 section because I assume most people will want to ask about F1, but it can be any motorsport.

So, my starting question is, what have the following drivers done, which nobody else has?

Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Denny Hulme
Emerson Fittipaldi
Alain Prost (x3)
Ayrton Senna
Nico Rosberg

You could also argue that Graham Hill should be on the list, but I wouldn’t include him.

Clue: it is something that can only be done during a championship-winning season. Research is permitted.

Won a Championship after previously being runner-up to the driver that they beat in their Championship winning year?

Last edited by Beau2; 22 Nov 2022 at 21:50.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 22:08 (Ref:4134540)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Juan Manuel Fangio
Alberto Ascari
Denny Hulme
Emerson Fittipaldi
Alain Prost (x3)
Ayrton Senna
Nico Rosberg

Won the WDC by beating a prior WDC with both in the same car/team?

Juan Manuel Fangio
o 1951 Giuseppe Farina

Alberto Ascari
o 1952 Juan Manuel Fangio

Denny Hulme
o 1967 Jack Brabham

Emerson Fittipaldi
o 1974 Denny Hulme

Alain Prost (x3)
o 1985 Niki Lauda
o 1986 Keke Rosberg
o 1989 Ayrton Senna

Ayrton Senna
o 1988 Alain Prost

Nico Rosberg
o 2016 Lewis Hamilton

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 22 Nov 2022 at 22:26.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 22:34 (Ref:4134544)   #4
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Won the WDC by beating a prior WDC with both in the same car/team?

Juan Manuel Fangio
o 1951 Giuseppe Farina

Alberto Ascari
o 1952 Juan Manuel Fangio

Denny Hulme
o 1967 Jack Brabham

Emerson Fittipaldi
o 1974 Denny Hulme

Alain Prost (x3)
o 1985 Niki Lauda
o 1986 Keke Rosberg
o 1989 Ayrton Senna

Ayrton Senna
o 1988 Alain Prost

Nico Rosberg
o 2016 Lewis Hamilton

Richard
This is correct. Well done.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 22:46 (Ref:4134546)   #5
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
This is correct. Well done.
Cool! This type of trivia is usually not my thing. But I had a flash that it was likely related to beating a prior WDC (Nico was the trigger) and then realized while looking up info that it had to include the fact they were on the same team.

My question might be an easy one...

For the TAG F1 engine that took McLaren to the 1984 WCC and WDC, what was the first car the engine was used in.

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2022, 03:44 (Ref:4134567)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
My question might be an easy one...
Actually this might be harder than I anticipated. Google searches points in incorrect directions. I can find the information online, but only by searching with the answer. If nobody gets this in a day, I will post hints.

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2022, 05:51 (Ref:4134569)   #7
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
For the TAG F1 engine that took McLaren to the 1984 WCC and WDC, what was the first car the engine was used in.
Some long forgotten memory is saying one of the racing Porsche 959s. Maybe a Dakar car? I cheated and did a quick google search but could find anything to confirm it, so it may well be a faulty memory.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 07:31 (Ref:4134571)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
My answer to Patrick's question.
Not as hard to find as I thought it might be.
Just a little thought then some reasoning.

Spirit F1?
No that was Honda.

1983 MP4/1E? Dutch GP 1983, Niki Lauda.

Otherwise it may have been fitted to something as a test bed like a Porsche 956.....
Porsche 956 chassis 107...
Wasn't in Rothmans color's, ran plain white.

Last edited by Teretonga; 23 Nov 2022 at 07:51.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 07:49 (Ref:4134574)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think - the very first car that ran with the engine was a 956 'mule'. Then it ran in an MP4/1-1 that was 'converted' to be the MP4/1-D?

Old 23 Nov 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4134575)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Here is a Spark model..

https://motorsportsminiatures.com/im...ed/6/S3410.jpg

Last edited by Teretonga; 23 Nov 2022 at 08:03.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 09:17 (Ref:4134587)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think - the very first car that ran with the engine was a 956 'mule'. Then it ran in an MP4/1-1 that was 'converted' to be the MP4/1-D?
Yes the test hack was the MP4/1D, but the first race appearance for the TAG was the Dutch GP for Niki Lauda in an MP4/1E (Watson was in an MP4/1C Cosworth)

Watson joined Lauda with an MP4/1E for the following race at Monza.

Pic below is Watson testing the MP4/ ID at the Porsche Weissach test track in June 1983.

Ron Dennis (right), race director Peter Falk (third from right) and engine designer Hans Mezger (left) at the Weissach track in 1983.

On 6 May 1983, Roland Kussmaul takes the first laps in a 956 with the TAG Turbo engine

Last two pics are from Porsche Newsroom archives and articles found there re the Weissach Test track.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4134590)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Yes the test hack was the MP4/1D [...]
On 6 May 1983, Roland Kussmaul takes the first laps in a 956 with the TAG Turbo engine
So we all seem to be in agreement. Which means we just need Richard to confirm and then it is over to Teretonga for the next question......
Old 23 Nov 2022, 12:57 (Ref:4134606)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

My anticipated answer was the 956 mule. For which McLaren/Ron Dennis was not happy as the car had the Porsche name on it and Porsche was contracted to produce the "TAG" badged engine.

I believe it was fitted into a Mclaren chassis after the 956.

So I think Teretonga got it right first.

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4134607)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Bonus points to E.B. for spelling Hans Mezger's name correctly. People want to put a "t" in it.

Richard
Old 24 Nov 2022, 05:52 (Ref:4134689)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Ok. A F1 question.
(I had a WEC question but this F1....)

Farina 1950
Brabham 1959
Hill (Graham) 1962
Hulme 1967
Rosberg 1982

All five of these F1 champions achieved something in their championship year that made them unique amongst all the other champions since 1950.

What was the achievement that differed them from every other champion?

Last edited by Teretonga; 24 Nov 2022 at 06:10.
Old 24 Nov 2022, 06:57 (Ref:4134691)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Farina 1950
Brabham 1959
Hill (Graham) 1962
Hulme 1967
Rosberg 1982

All five of these F1 champions achieved something in their championship year that made them unique amongst all the other champions since 1950.

What was the achievement that differed them from every other champion?
At a guess - they won their first Formula One Championship Race and their first Formula One WDC in the same season?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 06:30 (Ref:4134815)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
At a guess - they won their first Formula One Championship Race and their first Formula One WDC in the same season?
Correct crmalcom.

I was surprised that Brabham and G Hill had no wins and very few real podiums before their championship year. Same with Hulme and Rosberg. Hulme never had a full season before 1996 and Rosberg had only had second level cars scratching around the back half of GP grids.
Granted he had the Silverstone non championship race in the wet to demonstrate his skill, but he only got the drive because Carlos went home prior to the Falklands war.
Fortune smiled upon him.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 07:07 (Ref:4134818)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Correct crmalcom.

I was surprised that Brabham and G Hill had no wins and very few real podiums before their championship year. Same with Hulme and Rosberg. Hulme never had a full season before 1996 and Rosberg had only had second level cars scratching around the back half of GP grids.
Granted he had the Silverstone non championship race in the wet to demonstrate his skill, but he only got the drive because Carlos went home prior to the Falklands war.
Fortune smiled upon him.
Yes - definitely a bit of a surprise. Particularly (IMO) Hulme when you look at his 1966 season.

So - on to the next question.

Of the countries that hosted GPs in 2022 - the following countries are special places for drivers, but the others are not. Why?

Australia, Italy, USA, Spain, Canada, Britain, Austria, France, Hungary, Belgium, Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Abu Dhabi.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 10:40 (Ref:4134855)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes - definitely a bit of a surprise. Particularly (IMO) Hulme when you look at his 1966 season.

So - on to the next question.

Of the countries that hosted GPs in 2022 - the following countries are special places for drivers, but the others are not. Why?

Australia, Italy, USA, Spain, Canada, Britain, Austria, France, Hungary, Belgium, Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Abu Dhabi.
The title has been decided in these countries?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4134903)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a good guess. Looks like it could be right. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're all places drivers have made debuts.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 18:22 (Ref:4134904)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The title has been decided in these countries?
Yes - this is the correct answer.

Born Racer - that might be true, but would not fit the question because it would also make Bahrain special.

The countries listed are special to [certain] drivers because they are the countries in which they clinched their titles.
Old 26 Nov 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4134951)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can you name any other countries that have decided the title that weren't on the calendar the season just gone?
Old 26 Nov 2022, 10:13 (Ref:4134953)   #23
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Can you name any other countries that have decided the title that weren't on the calendar the season just gone?
Germany
Ascari in 1952, Nurburgring
Clark in 1965, Nurburgring

Switzerland
Ascari in 1953, Bremgarten
Fangio in 1954, Bremgarten.

Morocco
Hawthorn in 1958, Ain-Diab.

Portugal
Brabham in 1960, Porto
Lauda in 1984, Estoril
Prost in 1993, Estoril

South Africa
Hill in 1962, East London,
Piquet in 1983, Kyalami.

India
Vettel in 2013, Buddh.

Turkey
Hamilton in 2020, Istanbul.

I did look these up. 2020, 2013, 1984 and 1958 were the only ones I thought of off the top of my head.
Old 26 Nov 2022, 11:02 (Ref:4134955)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

Well done! Morocco was one I could think off of the top of my head. Would have needed more time to think of others
Old 26 Nov 2022, 11:09 (Ref:4134956)   #25
BTCC frog
Veteran

Thanks, I will ask a question:

'some of the younger guys were dangerous, sometimes, but I was always, always, suspicious of {driver's name}'

Who was Emerson Fittipaldi talking about with this quote?