Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2002, 15:42 (Ref:349388)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
No summer break in 2003!

Good for the fans, bad for the teams personnel, this posted on f1-live!

The provisional 2003 calendar recently came in for some criticism from McLaren team boss Ron Dennis, who stated that it was unfair of the FIA to withdraw the summer break that is much-needed by all the personnel working in Formula One. However according to FIA president Max Mosley the blame for the calendar denying teams the break, which they were finally granted this season, rests with inflexibility of the Monaco Grand Prix organisers, who are unwilling to change the date of the Monte Carlo race.

Many team bosses fought hard for a summer break to be put into the calendar, to allow hard-working team personnel the opportunity to return home for a few days and spend some time with their family, who often do not see them for long periods of times. While this was granted this season, next year's provisional calendar has not had the break included, and according to Mosley there is no chance of the calendar changing and the break being implemented.

"The answer is no," said Mosley. "We would have a really crazy calendar with three races in succession, or we would have to move the Monaco GP from a date we'd agreed with the organisers, and they built everything around one set date."
Old 3 Aug 2002, 15:53 (Ref:349391)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, what if they were doing 36 races like NASCAR?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 16:55 (Ref:349410)   #3
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The objection to the break is from Jean Todt, of course he doesn't have young children so isn't concerned about the family life of his workers.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 07:04 (Ref:350202)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by El_Gibleto
The objection to the break is from Jean Todt, of course he doesn't have young children so isn't concerned about the family life of his workers.
Aaahhh, and of course you know better than let's say Mr Dennis:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Dennis
I can comfortably say there wasn't a single grand prix team consulted in any shape or form when this calendar was put together. And I don't think that's particularly fair. Most of the management of the racing teams can comfortably cope. But it is extremely tough for the people who work directly in the teams, all the mechanics and all the logistics staff.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 07:56 (Ref:350223)   #5
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Aaahhh, and of course you know better than let's say Mr Dennis:
Don't you know already? Everything that's wrong in F1 is Ferrari's fault.

And again, we're the blinded ones trying to "defend" Ferrari.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 09:33 (Ref:350267)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
D'uh! Yes Ttc, you're right...... I forgot!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 16:05 (Ref:350530)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
To the relative newcomer to these forums, Ferrari, if not TGF seem to be the root of all the evils of this world. I am sure somewhere on their payroll is the second gunman on the grassy knoll, assorted killjoys, spoilsports and anti-vacation with the family people, led by Jean Todt who has proven he does not like children by allowing his own to become adults! How does he live with the shame? I forgot! TGF made him do it!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 16:10 (Ref:350532)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
You're excused John. But now, you've been warned and you won't make those capital mistakes anymore. By the way...... How could you miss those facts all that time?
Old 5 Aug 2002, 17:50 (Ref:350593)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This mid-season break is stupid. Have races every 2 weeks with no season testing at all. Then have November has a testing month.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:21 (Ref:350615)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hell no. Not everything is fault of Ferrari and TGF, Red!

But, as I said, what if they did 36 races a year or 20 like CART?
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:25 (Ref:350620)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Hmmm...... I'd be delighted. However, I realize that this is NOT possible. 20 maybe..... but 36.... nah... Anyway, increasing the no. of races certainly would reduce the (already non-existing) period of breaks.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:38 (Ref:350632)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
I didn't mean to demand an increase of races, but if they were in NASCAR they would do 20 races in a row!

I don't think it is that bad. If I enjoyed being an F1 mechanic, I'd do it all the time I could...
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:43 (Ref:350638)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yes Jordi. But in NASCAR or CART they don't develop the cars every day. In Formula 1, the car from the last race is in a great proportion completely different (in design, not only in spare-parts) from the car that started the season. I'd like a longer season, races at every weekend but that's not possible!

Anyway, why not enjoy this weekend a Formula 1 race, next one a CART and in third a NASCAR... (that's rhetorical question, I don't enjoy CART or NASCAR )
Old 5 Aug 2002, 20:39 (Ref:350717)   #14
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Aaahhh, and of course you know better than let's say Mr Dennis
I just want to say Ron Dennis sux bad time! Man, I have never seen a public person with such a low quality. Howling all the time, calling names at his own crew and being so unpleasant. Guys remember when he said David had a brain-fade some times ago when he stalled his car? Man he is just something else, isn’t he?
Old 5 Aug 2002, 20:51 (Ref:350730)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you Red, I guess I must read and accept the "truth" more carefully!

In all seriousness, both CART and NASCAR do testing/development between races as well. I cannot speak for the level (same, more or less than F1) but they run a fairly rigorous schedule as well. In NASCAR especially there tend to be rule changes about once per week that keep the teams hopping!

Legend, I am sure you would agree that if TGF declared: "There shalt be more time off for Holiday!" That it would be made so immediately (if not sooner!).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 21:26 (Ref:350769)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Yes Jordi. But in NASCAR or CART they don't develop the cars every day. In Formula 1, the car from the last race is in a great proportion completely different (in design, not only in spare-parts) from the car that started the season. I'd like a longer season, races at every weekend but that's not possible!

Anyway, why not enjoy this weekend a Formula 1 race, next one a CART and in third a NASCAR... (that's rhetorical question, I don't enjoy CART or NASCAR )

Not really. The CART teams also do develop some parts (Newman/Haas, Player's/Forsythe have their own R&D programs, and Penske of course in the IRL) and the rebuilding and setting up and packing is the same basically. And probably CART and NASCAR teams have less workforce than Ferrari or McLaren...

Anyway. I do enjoy CART and NASCAR, even the IRL too... and nothing better than a F1-CART combo (don't get NASCAR here)