Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 Jan 2003, 14:25 (Ref:489454)   #1
cathelly
Rookie

cathelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Le Mans novel just published!

'24' is a brand new motorsport novel just published on the internet. The book is a thriller based on the Le Mans 24 hr race, following the fortunes of a new GT team as they build up to the race - it's brash, fast and sexy, full of political intrigue, and packed with vivid racing sequences and authentic technology. You can buy the book on CD Rom or by direct download to your computer from www.nospine.com. Read exclusive extracts from the novel at http://uk.geocities.com/twentyfournovel
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:20 (Ref:489826)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this pure advertisement? Tell us about yourself, cathelly - what's your connection with the new book? If I feel that this isn't a proper information-passing post, I will pull it.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 04:08 (Ref:490171)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Geocities" eh? This is an advert for a self-published novel, I think. Not a bad idea, actually. Maybe I'll post my Ferrari stories on my website and invite people to buy them!
Old 30 Jan 2003, 13:17 (Ref:490536)   #4
cathelly
Rookie

Hi, my name's mark and I'm responsible for the message concerning the Le Mans novel. Sorry, I didn't really think of it that way but I suppose technically it could be construed as an advert. The message was more to test opinion - The mainstream publishing industry have given me good feedback but claim that there is no interest in motor racing fiction, or to put it another way, and I quote, 'that lot don't read.' I disagree, and I'm wondering what subscribers to your chat room think. Please accept my apologies and pull the message if you think fit - I could post another one without any details about where to buy it if you would be happier with this.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 13:28 (Ref:490545)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for coming back and giving us more info Mark. The fact is that most people who post along these lines are never seen again. Blatant advertising is (at least) frowned upon here, but if you're just seeking to draw our attention to a good novel which is clearly on-topic, then fair enough, I wouldn't propose to delete the post. But...... are you the novellist?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 14:50 (Ref:490625)   #6
cathelly
Rookie

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, it's me! I actually earn a crust as a musician and an artist/illustrator (motorsport scenes and classic cars, naturally) and 24 is my first novel. Motorsport and Le Mans in particular have always been a total obsession since I was knee-high to a typewriter... I'm currently wrestling with a homepage for the book which includes some sample pages. I'd love to get some feedback from likeminded folk, in particular to the question... would anyone want to read a motor racing novel if they could find a half-decent one? (there's some utter trash already out there...)
Old 30 Jan 2003, 15:05 (Ref:490640)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darn it, someone beat me to the punch! I'll write a screeenplay, then
Some day, people, some day...
Old 30 Jan 2003, 16:47 (Ref:490768)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good stuff Mark. I'm happy that we should bring your efforts to the attention of the folks here. I'd like to read it myself, so I may pay you a visit for the extracts first! Best of luck with it, in any event.

(But does the book include the trials and tribulations of spectators at Le Mans? )

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Jan 2003 at 16:48.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 23:58 (Ref:491163)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: New Le Mans novel just published!

Quote:
Originally posted by cathelly
'24' is brash, fast and sexy, full of political intrigue
I'm not interested in "sexy" or "political intrigue" -- I'd rather read a good racing novel that's about racing. Or one of those "melange" novels that contain vignettes; this about drivers, this about mechanics, this about spectators, this about the radio guys ... you know the type. There are very few good racing novels (what I'd call good racing novels) being written and it might be fun to write one here on the forum - each of us take a turn adding a "vignette" and see if we come out with a novel at the end of the day.

I have friends who sell "e-books" through a registered company and they say it is probably the coming thing.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 07:06 (Ref:491419)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I'd like to read a "reportage" book about Le Mans : all the things we don't see, or the race inside a Team...
Old 31 Jan 2003, 09:45 (Ref:491548)   #11
cathelly
Rookie

Hmm, interesting. You might find 24 more interesting than you think, because actually it is a bit 'melange-y' in structure. There are chapters which are written from journalists' points of view - 'reproductions' of articles about the team from imaginary magazines and newspapers. There are also quite long sections about setting up the car, aerodynamics etc., lots of inside-the-team detail, testing, and long racing sections. The last 3rd of the book is basically on-track at Le Mans. I wanted to make it quite different in structure from your normal novel.
The 'sexy' bits were always a bone of contention (excuse the pun) in my mind. I didn't want it to be gratuitous and I didn't want them to be really cliched. The language a lot of novels use to describe sex makes me cringe, and you won't find the word 'engorged' anywhere! In the end I left in the scenes which I thought were important to illustrate Martin Stone's character as an anti-hero, capable of the most irresponsible act, and as his closest 'friend' in the book finally observes, a selfish b*****d...
Thanks for the feedback. You're right - extending the concept to incorporate lots of other points of view would be interesting.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 13:13 (Ref:491792)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Was Martin Stone based on any particular real-life driver(s)?

Perhaps you don't want to say even if he was?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 07:46 (Ref:492660)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A good novel was published in the early 70' in France, about the start at Le Mans of a small team (Alpne, in fact !) including the young Jean-Claude Andruet (who will become later a great rallyman and class winner at LM)... no romance, but the difficulties of a small team, and the fears of a young pilot (rain and night)... I like to re-read it, despite of the fact it was done for middle age child (10-12 years I think)...

Last edited by Fab; 1 Feb 2003 at 07:47.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 11:29 (Ref:492791)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
In English, I suspect that I'm really a "middle-aged chld", Fab! (At least Mrs. Aysedasi probably thinks so!)
Old 1 Feb 2003, 12:02 (Ref:492825)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aren't we all

The trouble with fiction about motor racing is that either it tries to be extra flashy and exciting, and falls back into a soap opera on wheels - which usually turns the racefans away; or they at least aspire to give a truthful picture of what actually goes on in the paddock, and that will then turn everybody else away because it's just not exciting enough. I can't say I really like any of the novels I know about motor racing. But that's probably because I'm a racefan, and will notice blatant inaccuracies. The very early ones - the trashy paperbacks and newspaper "cliffhanger" serials from the 20s or so - are usually the most entertaining because they are refreshingly naive; the bad guy bites the bullet, and the hero wins the race and gets the girl. Today the public knows so much more about what motor racing is (though F1 et al. try to shut them out again) that you just couldn't get away with this anymore.

Besides, the best stories about racing are written by the racing itself - 11th hour heartbreaks at Le Mans, comebacks from the deathbed, nailbiting battles all the way to the chequer (yes they still happen occasionally). And plenty of tragedy. It's tough for fiction to better them. And if you turned them into literature or movies, no-one would believe them.
("Let' see now - this is a 3 hr race, right - and the guy in the black car tries to catch the guy in the yellow car for a whole hour, everyone else drops out until these two are in the lead, and then on the last lap the guy in the yellow car runs out of fuel two corners from the end?? How cliché is that..." - Czech FIA GT round 2002).
Old 1 Feb 2003, 12:56 (Ref:492851)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best novel ever written about our sport was the racer by hans ruesch (way back in the fifties but I've got a copy), bob judd wrote a bunch of fairly good ones too. Mike breslin had a go but was not entirely successful.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:17 (Ref:492862)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Hmm, good points. The thing that made "Drivel" unwatchable was the error-riddled racing scenes, and the outcry from the racing fraternity turned the general public away. A novel that had not been researched would be impossible to enjoy. However, a novel by Ron Dennis that would be factually perfect would bore the sox off most people. So you have to walk a fine line, perhaps.

My hero, Gilles deAngelis (yeah I know, Memo Moreno ) is a loner who alternates between being his teammate's best friend and hating his guts; the only sex involved in any of the stories is the fact that his mother is a tifosa who 'collects' Ferrari drivers -- he was fathered by one and his sister by a different one -- and in one of the stories his mother makes a play for his teammate. The one I'm working on now is his retirement story, where he's realising he has no life outside racing and he alternates between hanging on like grim death (and being jeered by the media) and doing a Nige and retiring every third race. The problem is I can't see my way to an ending yet.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:56 (Ref:492889)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Hmm, good points. The thing that made "Drivel" unwatchable was the error-riddled racing scenes, and the outcry from the racing fraternity turned the general public away.
As well as the fact that it was a lousy movie - a distinction it shares with "Le Mans"...
Quote:
However, a novel by Ron Dennis that would be factually perfect
are you sure
Quote:
would bore the sox off most people. So you have to walk a fine line, perhaps.
Isn't that what he always does
Old 1 Feb 2003, 14:33 (Ref:492905)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
As well as the fact that it was a lousy movie - a distinction it shares with "Le Mans"...
In what sense "lousy"? As a "movie", maybe, but to lovers of Le Mans and motor racing in general, surely not?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 16:03 (Ref:492992)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
In what sense "lousy"? As a "movie", maybe, ...
And that's what I said.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 22:27 (Ref:493267)   #21
Liz
Veteran

All the parts of "Le Mans" the movie that were not actually racing were pretty lame. Which doesnt' mean I wouldn't watch it every chance I get!

Why do you think there aren't more racing-themed novels?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 22:42 (Ref:493274)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
All the parts of "Le Mans" the movie that were not actually racing were pretty lame.
And in "Days of Thunder" and "Driven", even the racing parts were lame!
Old 2 Feb 2003, 14:02 (Ref:493786)   #23
cathelly
Rookie

It was Judd's books that inspired me to write 24. I thought they were so utterly **** that I thought let's write a proper one! And wild horses couldn't drag me to watch 'Driven'. The thing about 24 is that I tried to make it as unsensational and un-soapy as I could - there's no deaths, gratuitous pile-ups or punch-ups. The politics and corporate shady dealings could all be straight out of the pages of 'the Business' newspaper (and what about Arrows last year? That was all straight out of a John Grisham novel!!). As a racefan I wanted the racing bits to be as detailed and authentic as possible. There is a fine line between bending reality and making an exciting story, though. For instance, in 24 the chronology of Le Mans week is jiggled a bit. In real life Friday is a rest day between qualifying and the race, but in 24 the story would have lost momentum if everyone had to hang about for a day, so out it went! Personally I can cope with that, whereas a small new team beating the big works teams on track would NOT be acceptable or believable...
Old 2 Feb 2003, 15:33 (Ref:493828)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by cathelly
...whereas a small new team beating the big works teams on track would NOT be acceptable or believable...
Now see, that's very realistic - have you ever considered working for the ACO?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 18:17 (Ref:493959)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
In English, I suspect that I'm really a "middle-aged chld", Fab! (At least Mrs. Aysedasi probably thinks so!)
Ahem... middle age... silly me ! I ment 10 years old child, not a child of XI th century...