Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2003, 10:21 (Ref:499217)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Will (not can) Fisi ever win a race?

With what looks to be yet another year in a car which is likely to be 5th-7th best car, there seems to be no chance that Fisi will drag it onto the top step of the podium this year.

For whatever reason, the "top 3" have overlooked Fisi and to be perfectly honest, i don't see that changing. I certainly don't see Ferrari (eventually) replacing Schumacher (once he's retired) with an Italian, no matter how good he is, too political. And with Kimi a long term prospect at McLaren (and Heidfeld on a long term contract) it doesn't look likely that he'll go there. Renault (likely to be 4th best) won't be having him back all the time Flav's in charge and getting "commission" from his drivers which are incidently, under his management.

This only leaves Williams. Both JPM and Rafe are contracted to the team untill the end of 2004, if both were to leave at that time, Fisi would still "only" be 33, but with the current trend of going for younger drivers, would he be too "old" And would Williams employ a driver with that much experiance who hasn't managed to win a race?

In 107 races he has managed 9 podiums and 1 pole position, but hasn't made it to the top step? Will he ever?

I bet he rue's the day he spun out at Nurburgring whilst in the lead.

Last edited by Mr V; 7 Feb 2003 at 10:22.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 10:24 (Ref:499221)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
If it rains at Monaco he could.Otherwise NO.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 10:26 (Ref:499224)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
How good is the Cosworth (sorry FORD) engine that Jordan will be getting?
Old 7 Feb 2003, 11:02 (Ref:499249)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Like Alesi, I'm sure he will have his day. One day. Sometime. Prehaps after a massive shunt, taking out some red and grey cars.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 11:15 (Ref:499270)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Giancarlo will win a race, but it will probably take either an extraordinary piece of luck or a change to a top-3 team. But as mr v pointed out, it's unlikely he'll ever end up in one of those cars.

So it will have to come down to some luck, allied with a good, reliable Jordan (or whatever)...
Old 7 Feb 2003, 11:43 (Ref:499297)   #6
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, i think he will. People used to say will Alesi or Herbert ever win a race (or hak believe it or not) eventually if you are around for long enough the combination of luck and a half decent car will get you a victory.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:33 (Ref:499355)   #7
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heart says 'hope so', head says 'no'
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:47 (Ref:499374)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with Hugh .........But it may be a case of he does get a win like Alesi did , but not sure if he will get a car to consistently get to the top step.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:49 (Ref:499375)   #9
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
I think Giancarlo will win a race, but it will probably take either an extraordinary piece of luck or a change to a top-3 team. But as mr v pointed out, it's unlikely he'll ever end up in one of those cars.

So it will have to come down to some luck, allied with a good, reliable Jordan (or whatever)...
That pretty much sums it up for me as well- given the right drive, I'm convinced he's got the ability to be a winner- I just can't see him ever getting the opportunity unless it's in very unusual circumstances....
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:55 (Ref:499387)   #10
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Head says maybe... It'll either take a windfall / turnaround for Jordan in 2004, or Fisi to make a move to Sauber or Toyota and some luck. So it's an outside chance until a back team makes a very positive move and Fisi can see it and ride the wave in so to speak.

I rate him as quick. I'd put him somewhere around, ooh, 4-6 in rankings. Can't quantify why, that's just what I guess. I reckon he'd be faster than Ralf when it comes to wheel to wheel. Williams should seriously look at the guy.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 13:03 (Ref:499403)   #11
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if he ain't in a Ferrari, Mac or Willy, he's in the best place. Aren't Jordan the only other team to have won a race (or races) in the past 7 years or so???
Old 7 Feb 2003, 13:06 (Ref:499411)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No chance.......
Old 7 Feb 2003, 13:11 (Ref:499422)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I am not allowed to comment here.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:22 (Ref:499621)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has to be a reason teams are not choosing him. Everyone speaks so highly of him but he always ends up in a second rate team. I think he and JPM would make the strongest driver pairing of the grid. Different styles but both very fast. If not there then I dont forsee a "valid" victory for him.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 22:18 (Ref:499996)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A win's a win neilap. Is Herbert's win at the Nurburgring not valid because cars fell off the track in front of him? It happens at plenty of race weekends all over the world.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 22:36 (Ref:500038)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope he can win a race, but I just can't see it at this point in time...perhaps after the driver aids are gone, if it rains and the Jordan is reliable, MAYBE he could scrape through in exceptional circumstances, but with Ferrari's form, I am beginning to wonder if ANYONE else will win in 2003.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 00:12 (Ref:500147)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
A win's a win neilap. Is Herbert's win at the Nurburgring not valid because cars fell off the track in front of him? It happens at plenty of race weekends all over the world.
I know a win is a win but when it is because of a collision that took out the ten cars infront of him it is not the same. Its like OP's win. Everytime it is mentioned the word surprise or lucky comes into play. Wouldnt it be better to win on merrit? When I play tennis I want to beat the person, I dont want him to lose, there is a difference; at least to me there is.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 00:20 (Ref:500151)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I see your point Neilap. Let's hope that Frank fires Ralf, and hires Fisi. I think nearly everyone in this forum will collectively cheer.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:13 (Ref:500475)   #19
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I see your point Neilap. Let's hope that Frank fires Ralf, and hires Fisi. I think nearly everyone in this forum will collectively cheer"

Not a ralf hater at all but i would DEFINITELY cheer long and loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
and that get's me to my answer to this thread...
No hope i think.He HAS to get in a decent team or that's it...it's over
Old 8 Feb 2003, 15:40 (Ref:500645)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ironically, Herbert won that one because Fisichella (and DC) slid off while leading, not to mention Frentzen breaking down, Ralf puncturing, Hakkinen botching the strategy, as well as the famous Ferrari pitstop snafu.

Realistically, that might have been Giancarlo's biggest chance. It'll be terirbly unfair if he never does win, but its becoming less likely that a top team will pick him up.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 00:00 (Ref:501926)   #21
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno, i think that when the grid is shaken up we might see alot more collisions involving the Ferrari's, rather than TGF speeding off into the distance for the rest of the race....
Old 10 Feb 2003, 00:22 (Ref:501953)   #22
The Other Chris
Rookie

The Other Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would BMW let frank fire Ralf? I had the inkling that it was a part of their deal to have a german driver and BMW definately favors ralf over juan - their new in helmet warning thing will only be available for ralf.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 03:14 (Ref:502006)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think a seat will be open at any of the current top teams in time for Fisi. I think there all very secure. The person he should be replacing is DC, but he could drive the car around in reverse and still get his contract renewed. Toyota might be Fisi's best shot. Things could shake up if MS retires. How many more years will he want to race? Surely after the 7th WDC he'll get board of it...
Old 10 Feb 2003, 08:21 (Ref:502075)   #24
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I see your point Neilap. Let's hope that Frank fires Ralf, and hires Fisi. I think nearly everyone in this forum will collectively cheer.
I think Ralf and Fissi at willams would be better!

but Webber and Fissi at Jag also sounds very good as well
as for the question if Fissi is in a Jordan NO CHANCE
its a case of good driver bad car
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:12 (Ref:502177)   #25
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The person he should be replacing is DC, but he could drive the car around in reverse and still get his contract renewed"
I want to laugh...but it could happen!!!!

"Toyota might be Fisi's best shot"

Hey!! Good point!!