Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:15 (Ref:584927)   #1
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands: Seeking Pro advice

I've been awarded my first media pass to photograph at the Brands Champcar thanks to Champweb.net

Would any of you seasoned pros consider showing me around for an hour or so on Saturday?

I've not been to Brands, nor have I had media access before, so I'd appreciate some expert tuition!

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Gav
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:41 (Ref:584960)   #2
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As this is your first time, 1st rule I'd suggest, walk the trackside counter direction so you can see what is coming towards you.

Now there is all the extra catch fencing around the circuit, the top of Druids will be a nightmare, Don't bother going there for the start you'll never get in unless you get there early and stay.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:30 (Ref:585329)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dont cross the track while the race is on! You may laugh but I saw it at Brands 2 years ago-the chap was reported and has never been seen since trackside! Only cross if a marshal gives you the ok and dont stand in the way of marshals. Dont try and take pictures after a violent accident (if there area any), marshals, medics, organisors will take no pitty on your equipment. Just use you commom sense and have your wits about you. If you stand at Paddock Bend remember cars may head straight for you at great speed-be prepared to get out of the way quickly-and allow marshals to get past if need be. I have to take pictures of a bloody family wedding Saturday which I'm well chuffed at!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:40 (Ref:585341)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You'll probably be given a tabard to wear, if so fine. If not, a wrist band but try to keep this visible at all times, not under the shirt or jacket sleeves as you will get pretty fed up with marshals asking you if you have a pass! But as Baz says, keep your eyes open and wits about you.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 21:35 (Ref:585641)   #5
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the classic head on stock picture is at the top of druids, but as its been said before...it'll be mobbed. theres a nice pan shot from the back of the paddock with hopefully cars and crowds in the background. and theres a real long one from the infield of druids/paddock hill...looking across to the cars just before they enter paddock hill bend. looks good with that grandstand full in the background...i think its a 600mm with converter shot though.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 23:34 (Ref:585762)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i feel really sorry for you because there doesn't seem to be many places untouched by the fence. i'm writing not doing pictures this weekend so it's one less person to fight for a spot with.
however, checking what sort of media pass you have, you should be able to get some cool pitlane shots sorted. just look where other photographers go and follow them.

remember your equipment is replaceable but you aren't. if you haven't already make sure you've got a filter on the lens to protect it from stones flying around. apart from that what they said
Old 1 May 2003, 06:55 (Ref:585915)   #7
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gav, not sure the procedure for Brands but let me tell you what happens at the Canadian CART races.

Your credentials will give you access to the media centre. There will be a photographers meeting every morning. It is important to attend as they will give you the do's and don'ts. Also they will tell you where the holes in the fence are for photographers. If you have any questions you can ask them then. You should also get the "track locks" at the first meeting.. These (usually colored plastic and are attached to your media pass) indentify you as a person who has access track side.

There will be the usual gang of CART regulars (photographers) in attendence. Most of them are pretty friendly and you should be able to ask them for advice if you need to. If you follow them around you should find some good spots to shoot from. You will also hear them complaining about the lack of spots to shot from.

CART has tabards that allow you to shot on pitlane (over the wall) during practise and qualifing. CART only gives out a handful of these. If you don't get one you can still shoot behind the wall. Most teams will let you in but some don't like anyone in the the way. They will ask you to leave. Go in until some says no. I can't think of any team that has a problem with this except for Team Ganassi and they are no longer in CART.

On race day they will issue different colored track lock that will give you access to the hot pits during the race. If you get this you can get some great pit stop shots.

On race day most of the best spots to shoot the start fill up fast. I have camped out at turn one (at Vancouver) for a couple of hours prior to the race. Keep your ears open where these spots may be.

The only other advice would be to keep your eyes open all the time because things happen fast. If you are shooting film make sure you have a fresh roll in before the race starts. Also wear a good pair of shoes, you may be doing a lot of walking.

Good luck.

Rob
Old 1 May 2003, 10:15 (Ref:586048)   #8
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for your responses, folks.

I have to say that as well as being enormously excited, i'm really nervous about the whole affair!

Simply cannot wait until Saturday...
Old 1 May 2003, 17:34 (Ref:586463)   #9
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and take a big bag of sweets to bribe the marshals and rescue crews
Old 1 May 2003, 19:16 (Ref:586582)   #10
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you decide which clothes to wear don't choose a a flag colour or carry a flag coloured umbrella.

Old 2 May 2003, 17:48 (Ref:587752)   #11
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any media trying to use their Octagon passes will have no joy at all...it will get you in the main gates and thats it!...see new thread!!
Old 3 May 2003, 03:38 (Ref:588162)   #12
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something I learned a few years back at indy, make sure there is film in your camera
Old 3 May 2003, 08:43 (Ref:588271)   #13
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Also, a certain Mr.Bloxham of Autosport fame lent me 2 rolls of print film last year at a meeting. Having got some superb shots on them-my glee turned to horror having got them dev'd...both films had already been exposed by his daughter of horses and her school friends! So - lesson to be learned ...allways carry enough film!!