Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: ...who you want to be the replacement of DC at Mclaren next year?
Juan Pablo Montoya 8 10.13%
Jacques Villeneuve 17 21.52%
Giancarlo Fisichella 22 27.85%
Nick Heidfeld 10 12.66%
Jenson Button 2 2.53%
Gary Paffett 4 5.06%
Other driver (specify) 5 6.33%
No, keep DC in his seat! 11 13.92%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:09 (Ref:671233)   #51
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Convinced yet?
Not yet
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:10 (Ref:671234)   #52
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motoya and Kimi in a team is a disaster waiting. They both drive hard and with more downstairs than upstairs.
Ralf is more calculating and thinks of points more so than straight out try for a win and sacrifice. DC is a good bet at mac as he is invaluable for development and he is consistent and a last to 5th place at the BGP isn't a bad drive. so Ithink he's still got it. abeit he is not a rising star anymore, he is either falling or at the pinnacle and is running out- He should go to sportscars in a few years
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:25 (Ref:671246)   #53
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
13-4 in favour of Fisi. Convinced yet?
Er...no.

I've never rated Fisichella the way a lot of others have, simply because I've never seen results (in, what, 7 years of racing?) to make me think the guy could ever be world champion. That's not to say that I'm 100% sure that if Button drove for McLaren he'd be WDC, but he's got more of a future ahead of him. Fisichella is, as you said yourself, a veteran. McLaren like stability and consistency with their drivers, and I think Fisichella is the wrong side of 30 for them.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 25 Jul 2003, 16:28 (Ref:671250)   #54
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well, if those stats don't convince you, vman, and RG, no amount of blabbering on my part will, so I'll just shut up now...
Old 25 Jul 2003, 17:23 (Ref:671285)   #55
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
DC is a good bet at mac as he is invaluable for development and he is consistent and a last to 5th place at the BGP isn't a bad drive. so Ithink he's still got it. abeit he is not a rising star anymore, he is either falling or at the pinnacle and is running out- He should go to sportscars in a few years
Good point(s?!). It's all very well having fantastic 'out and out racers' (which many here seem to think that DC isn't, which I think is debatable), but they need someone to develop a decent car for them. Kimi will be able to do it eventually, but DC has been at McLaren a long time and must be doing something right to be kept there. He's also still capable of putting in fantastic race performances, though does seem to have trouble putting consistant challenges together, so I wouldn't be surprised - or upset -if McLaren kept him.

If he had to go, then any one of Fisi, Heidfeld or Button would be interesting. Fisi, to see if he is THAT good, Heidfeld because he deserves a crack after those years at Sauber, and Button because there's more to come.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:45 (Ref:671413)   #56
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Well, if those stats don't convince you, vman, and RG, no amount of blabbering on my part will, so I'll just shut up now...
Inigo, don't shut up on my account, i enjoy reading your posts, even if i don't agree with them
Old 25 Jul 2003, 20:59 (Ref:671422)   #57
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Gotcha v-man, but I can't come up with a better argument than those stats, so there is no use beating a dead horse
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:23 (Ref:671512)   #58
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella sounds like a good idea to me, as does Villeneuve. But I think Fisi just edges it, if Coulthard is leaving. Where will Coulthard go?
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:24 (Ref:671513)   #59
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC won't be going anywhere. Mclaren's his job for life...
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:33 (Ref:671523)   #60
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm I tend to agree with you on this one :-) Maybe that's the reason he can be a little lacklustre at times, due to the "comfort factor"??
Old 25 Jul 2003, 23:38 (Ref:671528)   #61
cos
Veteran

England
Maybe. Whatever, the fans like him, Mclaren like him, the sponsors like him. He may not be the greatest driver, but if you can't get Schumacher then you'll have to do the best you can.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 00:17 (Ref:671553)   #62
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Coulthard will drive for McLaren next season,and retire after that,Heidfeld will never drive for McLaren
Old 26 Jul 2003, 10:52 (Ref:671778)   #63
cos
Veteran

England
They'll probably keep him until Lewis Hamilton is ready to step up into F1.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 11:27 (Ref:671788)   #64
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well everybody knows I'd love to see JV in the Mac but realistically I think Fisi deserves a shot in a good car.

However JV is now sponsored by TagHeuer (sunglasses) so maybe there is a hint of a possible MacLaren connection there?
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 26 Jul 2003, 14:36 (Ref:671883)   #65
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Wurtz.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 26 Jul 2003, 18:42 (Ref:672052)   #66
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would McLaren prefer a certain driver because of his nationality? I read somewhere Ferrari may prefer south american drivers because they have some big customers down there.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 06:22 (Ref:672332)   #67
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heidfeld

He's proven to be a top driver over the past three years, particularly with his performances at the god-awful Prost teams and his first two years at Sauber (although he has been mostly disappointing this year). He's still contracted to Mercedes, so there is always a chance he could end up at the Silver Arrows. He's the only realistic option, he's fast, reliable, a good development driver and has proven this year to have some racecraft, something a few people said he lacked.

However, because this years Sauber is a complete pig, Nick is suffering a confidence crisis in his own abilities and he has to get out soon or otherwise fade into oblivion like so many other talents who are wasted.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 21:59 (Ref:672762)   #68
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just read that Mario Theissen is well aware of teh fact that JPM's contract runs out end of next year, and that Mclaren is interested in JPM. But Mario is most keen in keeping JPM at Williams
Old 27 Jul 2003, 23:47 (Ref:672836)   #69
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VILLENEUVE because he is an world champion and he deserves better than Crappy old BAR
Old 28 Jul 2003, 00:49 (Ref:672862)   #70
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by beau
VILLENEUVE because he is an world champion and he deserves better than Crappy old BAR
It is your heart talking,not your head
Old 28 Jul 2003, 09:13 (Ref:673076)   #71
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wurz deserves it - having him testing only is a cruel and stupid waste of talent, and a betrayal of his loyalty to McLaren. I hope the reason he didn't go to Jaguar was that he's promised something better in 2004, rather than just money.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 11:11 (Ref:673148)   #72
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given the growing rumours that Montoya might be going to McLaren, some interesting scenarios come up.

If this happens, Fisi gets the second seat at Williams. I'm almost certain of it. As teammates at Jordan, Fisi easily had the measure of Ralf, and I think we could expect the change of scene to prompt a rejuvinated performance. Also, as has been suggested that he's on the wrong side of 30 for McLaren, Williams' history would suggest otherwise for them. Also, Fisi has had continued contact with Head and Sir Frank for this very eventuality.

As for Heidfeld, I support OzMan in this, recall that if F3000, Montoya and Heidfeld had a Battle Royale and Nick was rigour to JPM's passion. I think Heidfeld as a driver is more in the McLaren mould. The downside of this argument, of course, is Montoya's great charisma and Nick's accountant-like personality.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 11:48 (Ref:673173)   #73
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe so EERO but I think if Montoya ends up leaving Williams it may be Villeneuve in that seat...remember JV was the last guy to win Frank a title, he likes real racers like JV and they still have a great relationship. With a driver like Ralf you need someone else who's agressive and if a guy like Montoya is going out JV is a sure bet to bring Monotya like aggressiveness back into the team...Fisi although a great racer I'm just not sure if he's all that agressive...

If this does happen hopefully Fisi might get a Renault drive as I am pretty sure Trulli is out next year...would be great to see Montoya, Kimi, Michael, Villeneuve, Fisi, and Alonso all in cars capable of winning next year! Wow what a championship that would be!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 18:45 (Ref:673589)   #74
daviopolo
Rookie

daviopolo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella is the only one for interest and for novelty and because he damn well deserves it the rest have either had their chance in a top team or been beaten directly or indirectly by Fisichella.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 18:47 (Ref:673590)   #75
daviopolo
Rookie

daviopolo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also everyone talks about 'real racers' Anytime Fisi has been in a half decent car he has raced the hell out of the car almost faster than the car should go, He drives flat out all the time and would mix it with anyone but NOT in that Jordan!