Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Street circuits - do we need more??
Yeah Yeah Yeah!! 20 45.45%
Nope- we have enough at the moment 9 20.45%
No-way infact Monaco needs to go as well 6 13.64%
we need more tracks like Silverstone and Malaysia 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:38 (Ref:825235)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

does F1 need more street races like Monaco and Canada?? ofcourse they have produced some great Gp's over the past few years but tracks like Malaysia give more chance for overtaking.
so simple enough question..
Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:54 (Ref:825242)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canada is an unusual street cirtuit. Most of the street circuits fall more into the category on Monaco. I dislike them.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:56 (Ref:825244)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
But tracks like Maylasia don't always offer more overtaking.
I must be one of the few F1 fans that hates the Sepang circuit.

I do think we could do with a few more street circuits.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 19:16 (Ref:825252)   #4
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i don't think canada falls into the category of a street circuit and monaco remains on the calender because of its history, the fact that it is the showcase for sponsors, and that it is....well....monaco....i think that if f1 had any more street circuits, they should follow the australian example.....
Old 1 Jan 2004, 19:21 (Ref:825253)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Montreal race certainly isn't what comes to mind when one thinks of a street circuit. For all intensive purposes it's a typical road course.

F1 needs more tracks that are more condusive to F1 passing. Also, natural terrain road courses need to make a comeback.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 19:24 (Ref:825256)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be nice to see more street circuits but not in the Monaco mould. I'm thinking of Adelaide type tracks.
And not too many either, otherwise they lose their unique tag.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 19:39 (Ref:825264)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we need more tracks with challenging corners, and those are usualy not found on street tracks.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 19:51 (Ref:825269)   #8
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not need but I would like to see Montjuich Park or Pau on the calender. Dreaming, just dreaming....
Old 1 Jan 2004, 22:26 (Ref:825350)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends on what is ment by a `street circuit'.

In cart for example it is very confusing. :confused:

Some people there regard any temp circuit as a street circuit (eg Cleveland - what is that circuit?) :confused:
Old 1 Jan 2004, 22:44 (Ref:825364)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can Australia have a 2nd round, and have the F1 take the ChampCar round date on the Surfer's Paradise circuit??

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Jan 2004, 22:59 (Ref:825368)   #11
Baritone24

I dont see why not

Old 1 Jan 2004, 23:39 (Ref:825391)   #12
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted "Yeah Yeah Yeah!!". I think that it's always a good thing to have variety in the type of circuits which are raced on by a series, and I think F1 should try and showcase the very best of all kinds of circuits in equal measure. For me the street circuit races have a much greater sense of occasion about them, so for sure there should be more than just one temporary one (Monte Carlo) and two semi-permanent ones (Albert Park, Montreal). But it's essential to get the balance right with the circuit, you can have greats like Macau, but then ****ers like Miami. What about the following for F1 races, as all currently exist/have been proposed to a decent standard:

Bilbao, Spain
Cagliari, Italy
Changwon, South Korea
Guia, Macau
Long Beach, USA
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Pau, France
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Vienna, Austria
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 2 Jan 2004, 00:28 (Ref:825413)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Would love to see Adelaide back on the calender. But circuits like Monaco, no ta!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 01:01 (Ref:825428)   #14
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we were to see more street circuits, i would far prefer them to be added on to the current season, and not replace a normal circuit.

So if we had the option of having 16 races - like now --- Or having 16 races PLUS 4 more street circuits - then i would far prefer the latter.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 01:38 (Ref:825453)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
does F1 need more street races like Monaco and Canada?? ofcourse they have produced some great Gp's over the past few years but tracks like Malaysia give more chance for overtaking.
so simple enough question..
Just to echo The Monster's thoughts, just how much overtaking have you seen at Sepang? (not including wet races, they don't count)
If you ever pop into Armchair Enthusiast, you'll see a thread with more than 4000 posts called "My Tracks". We frequently have this debate of how much overtaking these modern super tracks offer.
Race track design is more of an art than you might think. It's very difficult to engineer into a new track overtaking spots. I would argue it's nearly impossible to judge the correct corner combinations that will allow passing. A tight corner at the end of a long straight is not an answer. Look at Monza's first corner if you want proof of how inneficient this is.

So my thought would be that street tracks can add variety. They can also be mindless series of right angle bends.

I think what is important is to have more circuits. It's no good pouring all our efforts into these souless showpieces of contemporary architecture, where the circuit is to it's facilites as a parking lot is to a cinema. We're just gonna end up with a single big facility per country, and all the real venues like Brands are gonna go. And that will be sad. Since we cannot build lots more race tracks, it makes sense to have a few more semi permanent street tracks to supplement what we have already.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 02:25 (Ref:825459)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canada is a street circuit as far as the driving is concerned, and it is a regular road the rest of the year (apart from the 3 days it's used for the CART race as well). The reason most people don't see it as a street circuit is that most of it is boardered by a few feet of grass and there are small gravel traps in places - other than that, it's just a fairly flat (there are elevation changes - but you have to walk the track to see them) street circuit.

I think F1 could use more street circuits to provide more variety in the circuits. Some drivers really like the street circuits as well, becuase the sensation of speed between the concrete walls is much greater than when the tire walls are 200 feet away (like Nurburgring).

I don't think F1 will go to any more street circuits though, as they are insistent on having elaborate permenant facilities that cannot be found at many street circuits. They've been making an exception for Monaco, because it is Monaco (though they're building some better facilities from what I hear) and Montreal has its own permenant facilities; however, I don't think the F1 snobs would be able to tolerate the cramped and temporary facilities they would find at most street circuits such as Surfers Paradise, Long Beach, etc.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 2 Jan 2004, 02:42 (Ref:825468)   #17
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Re: Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
So my thought would be that street tracks can add variety. They can also be mindless series of right angle bends.
phoenix 1991 springs to mind....
Old 2 Jan 2004, 17:36 (Ref:825817)   #18
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd like to see a fast street curcuit.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 18:22 (Ref:825847)   #19
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
this one and Detroit spring to my mind.
I often drive Phoenix on F1 2002 in the 2003 cars and it is great fun.
Plus who could forget Senna and Alesi there
so I voted for ore street tracks

and I wish they would swap back to Adelaide and dump Melbourne
Old 2 Jan 2004, 19:12 (Ref:825869)   #20
santori
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
i'd like to see a fast street curcuit.
Montjuich Park. That must have been extraordinary. Too dangerous but....
It seems a shame that such an interesting city as Barcelona has such a bland, if well-organized, GP as it does.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 19:13 (Ref:825870)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
Quote:
Originally posted by MacMan
this one and Detroit spring to my mind.
I often drive Phoenix on F1 2002 in the 2003 cars and it is great fun.
Plus who could forget Senna and Alesi there
so I voted for ore street tracks

and I wish they would swap back to Adelaide and dump Melbourne
Hmmmm...
I think that should be Phoenix 1990
Alesi was driving for Ferrari in 1991.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 2 Jan 2004 at 19:15.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 19:15 (Ref:825872)   #22
santori
Racer

I did hear a rumour a while ago that there were tentative plans for a street circuit in Cape Town. Camps Bay, I think. That could have been very good - elavation changes - but the collapse of the rand probably finished it.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:16 (Ref:825954)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Canada isn't a typical street circuit for two reasons - partly, the gravel traps around it give it a more typical feel. Secondly, unlike more 'street' circuits, the layout is actually designed for racing, and produces exciting races almost every year.

Most street circuits from the modern era are boring, soulless offering. The predominance of them in the US is probably the main reason the Americans lost interest in F1 in the 1980s, adn teh large amount on the current ChampCar schedule is surely a amjor reason for the problems that series has had in attracting an audience.

Sepang is a circuit I like, as I've always found it challenging, it flows well, adn great races seem to gravitate there. The weather has an effect, but that's part of the fun of having a racetrack in Malaysia.

A lot of the modern circuits are quite lame, especially Hungaroring, Catalunya and the redesigned Hockenheimring. The series is too obsessed with safety, which has now gone OTT. As long as there are big run-off areas at the fast corners, the classic tracks ar eno mroe dangerous than those. Features of the cars, such as impact protection, shielded fuel tanks and rollover hoops, have a much bigger effect.

The changes to Monaco this year, moving the barriers out at some of the toughest corners and instantly nullifying half the challenge of the ultimate driving test, are a particular disgrace. The top teams shouldn't be monopolising the track the way they did this year.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 22:06 (Ref:825996)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We need Monjuich and London on the Calender
Old 2 Jan 2004, 22:22 (Ref:826014)   #25
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Does F1 need more STREET circuits??

Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo

Race track design is more of an art than you might think. It's very difficult to engineer into a new track overtaking spots. I would argue it's nearly impossible to judge the correct corner combinations that will allow passing. A tight corner at the end of a long straight is not an answer. Look at Monza's first corner if you want proof of how inneficient this is.

They can also be mindless series of right angle bends.

I think what is important is to have more circuits. It's no good pouring all our efforts into these souless showpieces of contemporary architecture, where the circuit is to it's facilites as a parking lot is to a cinema. We're just gonna end up with a single big facility per country, and all the real venues like Brands are gonna go. And that will be sad. Since we cannot build lots more race tracks, it makes sense to have a few more semi permanent street tracks to supplement what we have already.
I was kinda baffled when they switched from that superb adelaide track to that park in melbourne.
That backstraight was really nice for overtaking.. recall alesi doing some crazy stuff.
Perhaps the t1 at monza isnt perfect but wasnt that because it is a chicane rather than corner?

Further the overtaking we saw at the british gp was largely due to the increasing tyrewar is what barrichello said after the race.
Silverstone isnt known for overtaking heaven since they killed a few great corners after 94, yet the race was great.

I'm a big fan of the tyrewar and think that is also important factor aside the track lay-out.