Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Nov 2003, 22:44 (Ref:783736)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Favourite Hillclimb?

Quote:
I am looking at doing a couple of hill climbs next year to see what its all about. In 20 yrs of marshalling I have never done a hill climb. Can anyone suggest a good meeting to do prefably a whole weekend.
This quote got me thinking.......

what is your favourite Hillclimb and why???

This is NOT a place to slag any venue off, but if you have a favourite, then let the rest of us know why and maybe we might join you there.
Old 14 Nov 2003, 22:50 (Ref:783744)   #2
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good one Crazystu, I guess you can split it down into 2 categories really, one being general atomsphere, one being post specific. For me the best venue in terms of post has to be Shelsley and Ess Approach, for those of you who have`nt done it the cars go by at 110 MPH + approx 8 ft away from the post and you are on the ouside of a slight left hand kink. In terms of overall enjoyment it must be Prescott due to the great atomsphere in the evening with Dicky Twists'`s Memorial Erection to shelter under. Thats not to say Gurston, Loton or Doune are **** by any means.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 00:48 (Ref:783845)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shelsley for me, probably because that's where I started marshalling, and you can see most of it from the majority of posts. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed both Prescott and Gurston last year, and if Shelsley's a 10 then they're a 9½.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 01:28 (Ref:783877)   #4
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the track/post it has to be "Finish " at Gurston - less feet away than you'd like at stupid miles an hour. Even after the big one there in August I still love it!!!

Prescott - great track, excellent people, very hospitable, enjoyed every meeting I did last year. I couldnt get the hang of the leaf blowers though

Wiscombe - Very wet Wiscombe, but very, very good too! Under the trees in the damp....Oooh!

I must try to do a couple more this year, but so far I have not experienced a bad venue.

The heart says Gurston overall, but that was where I first went to a motorsport event and where I marshalled my first event so the rose tinted glasses may be on.

Let's face it, they're all good, especially when the National guys are there!

Roll on next season when the driver/car combinations look just awesome. I love it!!!
Old 15 Nov 2003, 08:54 (Ref:784110)   #5
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Loton Park as well, probably not too far either?
Old 15 Nov 2003, 08:57 (Ref:784116)   #6
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or if you want to come a bit further North there's Scammondon and Harewood plus Curborough, 3 Sisters, Anglesey and New Brighton sprints (Flat hillclimbs!!). All would welcome more marshals! They're all good fun and a good atmosphere.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 15:43 (Ref:784363)   #7
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult one.

I've only been to Shelsley, Gurston and Wiscombe, but I think Shelsley shades it for me.

Character and atmosphere probably does it.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 15:52 (Ref:784366)   #8
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
loton park is my favorite.but i like prescott as well
Old 15 Nov 2003, 16:37 (Ref:784385)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckom if I had too choose one it would be The World Famous Shelsley Walsh.....
Mainly because it is steeped in history and it has a special atmoshphere..........
But that is not to say I dont like all the other venues I have had the pleasure of marshaling at.........
Old 15 Nov 2003, 18:15 (Ref:784435)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Walsh never gets the proper local grassroots classes in though like ACSMC speed, CCC speed and Marketing Machine League.

Wiscombe does it for me (driver) and even though its a sprint not a hill North Weald for me (Marshal)
Old 15 Nov 2003, 18:24 (Ref:784439)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheres North Weald? is that out Epping way somewhere?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 00:27 (Ref:785307)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I'm going to sit with a fence up my backside because my favorite two are too close to call.

I'll list which hills they are but won't qualify why. I'd merely suggest you go and marshal the for yourselves, the reasons will be plainly obvious to anybody who does.

Gurston. Prescott.

PS I love Shelsley and Wiscombe dearly, but let's just say that in this age of equal opportunity, bushes aren't really good enough and we can't all afford motorhomes.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:12 (Ref:786358)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're sitting with a fence up your backside it doesn't really matter...
Old 6 Dec 2003, 20:46 (Ref:805707)   #14
prestonsau
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia /China
prestonsau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was quite convinced that Noosa (Queensland, Australia) was my favorite, and it's still right up there.
BUT I returned to Shelsley once more this year and got that old feeling . . . . !
I have this ambition to do Pikes Peak before I die. I suspect it might take top prize.

Blue Flag meaning: There's a race going on an you're not in it!
Old 6 Dec 2003, 23:35 (Ref:805801)   #15
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noosa is pretty good isnt it , Dont know about the silly Marshals with Yellow wigs though
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:19 (Ref:878812)   #16
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
Walsh never gets the proper local grassroots classes in though like ACSMC speed, CCC speed and Marketing Machine League.
Great, must be worth serious consideration then.

Last edited by Fireblade; 18 Feb 2004 at 23:19.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 00:14 (Ref:878883)   #17
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For what? Closing down? Grass roots fast motorsport must be given priority and speed events are all it has since road rallying changed. We all know which venues and organisers are doing their bit.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 07:15 (Ref:879044)   #18
hillclimber26
Rookie

hillclimber26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but what would we rather like to see. I for one would much prefer to see well prepared and driven mod prod cars, sportscars and single seaters at a hillclimb rather than lots or suped up Novas etc which a poorley prepared, which the grassroots classes attract. I have nothing against them and we will always need them and they are good fun but the British Championships are on another level now and should be separate from smaller championships. Shelsley is my favourite although Prescott is a very close second. I just love the prescott setting.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 09:51 (Ref:879128)   #19
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The "British Championships" do not deserve houseroom after the behaviour displayed in the past towards those who make it all possible - voluntary marshals and track maintainers - by refusing to run on slippery surfaces when they have taken up entries that could have gone to competitors who would have made use of them to entertain the spectators who had paid. Wiscombe 1998 was a milestone that lost them respect which they will never ever recover.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 11:53 (Ref:879244)   #20
Jedi088
Rookie

Jedi088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread seems to be heading in a new direction but here goes. Wiscombe 98 was disappointing and removing the championship status wrong in my opinion as the event still went ahead, safe enough for me safe enough for everybody. But that can't be helped now and with more entrants in the Championship probably would not happen again .I think Hillclimbing even at championship level is very grassroots and the majority of proper race cars probably cost a lot less than the keved up novas corsas crx's that we see speeding around carparks in the evening and it's only in the last couple of years that the competition for top 12 places has improved to a point where you have to be a decent driver as well as having a competitive car to qualify for the runoff but even then with the two separate runoffs the weather can throw a spanner in the works and allow the little guy to get in. As for my favourite hill as a driver it has to be Doune and spectating Llergy Fissell at the stile before the Goose neck watching David Grace come by about a metre away flat out top gear before breaking nice!
Old 19 Feb 2004, 12:18 (Ref:879270)   #21
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to love marshalling at Harewood - particularly on the repeater flag up near the last right hander. The first time I went to Harewood that's where they put me. I had a great morning and then at lunchtime some bright spark pointed out the damage to the Armco just about on a level with my right knee - guess what the aiming point for the corner was - Yup - little old me!

As an experiment in the afternoon I tried moving and sure enough the drivers failed to get the final right hander correct!

Funnily enough I used to like spectating there too. Wonderful setting, nice people (competitors and officials alike). Shame it's a bit far to go these days because I would like to go back.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 03:20 (Ref:880046)   #22
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Anuauto
For what? Closing down? Grass roots fast motorsport must be given priority and speed events are all it has since road rallying changed. We all know which venues and organisers are doing their bit.
The joke wears a bit thin watching a class of 27 Ginettas making four runs a day at such venues like Loton for example.
Hardly rivetting.

No thanks.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 08:46 (Ref:880177)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Ladies and Gents. I'm moving this thread to the National and Club Racing Forum as it more suited to there than the Marshals Forum. By moving the thread I would hope you will get a few more people interested in the topic which should expand the number of replies.

Stephen.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 09:36 (Ref:880203)   #24
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Does pikes peak count? If so that's the clear winner - just for some of the cars that tackle it, the Quattro S1 and the Mach2 RS200 for starters! Awesome machines.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 09:37 (Ref:880208)   #25
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For example me : Gurston or Harewood - from my house I love the drive roof off on a summer morning at 5 or 6 am past night clubs chucking out on the empty roads to Gurston - Harewood in April or May we have a club weekend and its also a great place because a bit like the Nurburgring it could snow or sunburn - and they're both great venues with friendly helpful staff