Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Edwards joins Yamaha

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/raceresu...pe_racing.html
Old 16 Oct 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1126156)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm a bad move for Colin IMO - If I were him id have stayed put at Honda. Sure the Yamaha of Rossi is winning at the moment but thats because Rossi is behind the wheel, the next best Yamaha rider after him is quite a way back, behind most of the Hondas.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 06:49 (Ref:1126460)   #3
wreckless
Racer

wreckless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good for yamaha thats for sure, edwards can get consistant 4th and 5th places and be a great 2nd rider to rossi, something which they havent had this year
Old 17 Oct 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1126585)   #4
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edwards said in an interview today that his main reason for going to Yamaha is that Yamaha WANT him, a feeling he has never had from HRC this year. He has had no say in the developement of his bike and has had to accept whatever "scraps" were thrown by HRC whether he wanted to use them or not. I think he will perform more consistently at Yamaha than Checa / Milandri / Abe.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1126631)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Edwards has certainly been very consistent this year and would be the perfect teammate for Rossi. If Yamaha wanted him more than Honda, then it's clearly Honda's loss and Yamaha's gain.

IMO Honda have made a mistake in their supposed treatment of Colin and have made a mistake in letting him go.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 13:08 (Ref:1126638)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed manoz. Colin never seemed to be wanted at Honda, they treated him pretty badly throughout the year despite all the success he has earnt them over the years. He's clearly not as good as Rossi, but who is? The Yamaha bike should be much closer to the Honda next year, so I can see Colin taking his first MotoGP win for them.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1126790)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HRC treated Colin ver badly from the time he managed to win the WSB corwn despite Honda not giving him any help up til the 8H when he was miles behind Bayliss. They tried to give him the idea he was wanted then dumped him when the so called "better prospect" Hayden came on the scene. He wrote a column for a mag over here and the shenanigans that went on that winter were outrageous. He was offered four different HRC rides after hw won the crown and signed for Ducati. HRC really messed him around and he signed for Aprilia.
I think Yamaha is the best move anyway, better than Repsol even. He is wanted as he says, he has history with Yam in AMA in WSB. He rides the front like Vale but can spin it aswell like Rossi and he gets on fammously with him.
Great move and isnt it nice to have two bloke in a team with massive determination to put one over HRC!
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1128303)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good to see Colin wanted by a top team again - I'm sure he can do a better job than Checa has this year.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 19:28 (Ref:1128669)   #9
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chunder
Great move and isnt it nice to have two bloke in a team with massive determination to put one over HRC!

You're right there chunder. All we need know is for Bayliss to join them and the show will be complete
Old 20 Oct 2004, 02:08 (Ref:1128973)   #10
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And if Yamaha are running under the factory colors there will be nothing to stop them running 4 up to date bikes... 8)
Old 20 Oct 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1129595)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, let's see, Ewards and Rossi in one team and Melandri and AN Other in the other team, surely they can't keep on ploddinhg away with Abe
Barros going back there perhaps after he was injured in his year there, he flew on the bike in testing remember. Maybe Xaus to replace Checa in the Fortunsa Spain colours, good move again
Old 20 Oct 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1129644)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any word on which colours Colin will ride?

Xaus would be a good choice, but I'd expect to see him at Repsol. Someone like Hopkins or Ellison might be an option?
Old 24 Oct 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1134192)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Rossi and Edwards in one team is great by me - my two favourite riders! Somehow add Bayliss to the mix and Yamaha would be looking really good. Sorry about Checa, though, a decent guy.

Last edited by strider; 24 Oct 2004 at 20:43.
Old 30 Oct 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1140807)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi and Edwards have won together before so it's looking good for Yamaha next year. Personally I can't wait for Colin to get his first MotoGP win, although a consistent string of podiums would be just as sweet. Unless you work for HRC I guess
Old 31 Oct 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1141201)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Sorry for Checa, I dont think so, he has consistently underachieved on any bike for years and I dont really understand why he always seems to get rides, but then again after a great start Melandri has hardly set the world alight either
Old 6 Nov 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1146059)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting...

Tell you what lets do it proper like.

Colin gets Jeremy and the boys, while Vale gets the second string Yamaha guys and girls.

Odds on Colin bags the Championship!
Old 7 Nov 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1146738)   #17
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Odd more like!

Rossi is supreme, that is why Burgess only wants to work with him. Like Doohan, Rainey, Schwantz, Lawson etc Rossi is head and shoulders above others.

I like Edwards and hope he is better next year but he is no Rossi!

I think we saw that the battle between Edwards and Bayliss in WSBK was NOT a battle between the best... They have become small fish in a BIG POND (excempting the odd result in MotoGP)
Old 9 Nov 2004, 02:46 (Ref:1148161)   #18
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But do you really think that Rossi would be where he is now if it wasnt for the influence of Burgess and co? Sure , hes very good, but hes only as good as the bike under him will allow him to be.

Lets see Edwards with a good engineer in a team that cares about what hes doing and see how he goes. Sure, Rossi may be better, but to suggest that Edwards is below par is drawing a long bow indeed.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 03:15 (Ref:1148175)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
A great team helps, no doubt about it, but the Rossi more than does his part.

Like Michael and Ferrari, the best rider with the best team = Championships
Old 9 Nov 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1148376)   #20
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't suggest Edwards was below par, Bayliss either. Just said that they have been put into perspective in the MotoGP. I like both of them a lot and wish they would do better!

Haga was the same, Hodgson too! Haga had two great performances in his best year, Donington and Philip Island. Edwards was hot at Donny and Quatar and maybe another one... Bayliss has had a handful of top results too. That's it though!

Rossi is like Schumacher though, like Wrex says, he is consistent and fast as hell and provides clear feedback to the team.

And he is a super-human! (like Schumacher) It helps.