Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Mar 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1266652)   #1
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy interested in going to NASCAR

Toronto Sun Article

Quote:
THE 20TH edition of the Toronto Molson Indy could be the final one for Paul Tracy -- a two-time winner of his hometown race -- in the Champ Car World Series. Tracy, 36, told The Toronto Sun yesterday that if NASCAR comes to Canada in 2006, he wants to be part of that series.

Tracy's Champ Car contract with Forsythe Championship Racing ends this season and he said he wants to explore other avenues.

"I haven't got any irons in the fire so to speak," Tracy said yesterday while in Toronto to help promote this year's Molson Indy race.

"(But) there are a lot of things happening in Canada right now with NASCAR."
I think Dean McNulty has a Stock Car bias, but its interesting read none the less. I personally don't think Tracy would jump series unless he had a guaranteed ride for all races, not just road races.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1266666)   #2
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't surprise me. I think once Tracy won his Champ Car title, he was done with the series.

It would be sad to see him and Vasser go though. Then it would truly be the end of the "old" generation.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1266689)   #3
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once Tracy is finished with his contract at Forsythe he is going to be looking to get paid to drive. He is going to look towards NASCAR as that is where the dollars are.

He won't likely get another big dollar contract from Forsythe.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1266759)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He also says "The main reason I've stayed in Champ Car is that I've been able to race in Canada." That's news to me, before he's always gone on about supporting the series. I really have to wonder why he'd want to go to Nascar. Let's be realistic, Nascar is all about consistancy, PT is a balls to the wall kind of guy, not Mr. Consistancy.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1266769)   #5
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul's maturing.

Seriously, he has one or two more big contracts in his future. He wants to make the most of those. He could race 10 more years in NASCAR.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1266773)   #6
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul is almost 40 and he has to plan his retirement right about now, a treck through NASCAR would be fine he could go out there and get his paychecks just like Michel. I guess Paul views NASCAR as many aging soccer players view the soccer league in a Quatar a clear step down in professionalism but an upgrade in pay, without doing all that much work. Heck if Jimmy also goes they can form their own little ban of racers and support each other. I think I'm getting carried away again.

Last edited by Tenoch; 1 Apr 2005 at 01:29.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1266789)   #7
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did he not complain about the taxing Nascar schedule?

Anyhow, he is still in his late 30`s (Dale Jr is 30 BTW), he might have something to prove, and more money to make.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1267092)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't blame him for considering changing to a different type of racing, he has been in Champ Car for a long time, however he'll be sadly missed if he does move over to NASCAR.
If Paul does ever move, hopefully it won't be for another season or two, so he can leave Champ Car with great memories, if he wins the Championship again.

Last edited by luke; 1 Apr 2005 at 12:43.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1267467)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I completely disagree with the suggestion that PT wasn't 100% committed last year. I don't think I need to point to anything other than his Vancouver performance to prove it. Regarding the championship, at least last year PT seemed like he wanted to prove that he could do it again.

I think PT can still make say a ~$2M salary with Forsythe next time. Forsythe didn't have to sign up PT, he could have found a pay driver who might have covered some of the expenses out of pocket. Forsythe has put all sorts of money into the sport for quiet some time now, I find it hard to believe that he'd give up a shot at winning races over a couple $10^6. I think PT still has a couple of competitive years left in him.

While I don't necessarly agree with some of what Liz said, it certainly wasn't horrible and there's no reason it has to be censored. This forum is about opinions otherwise we wouldn't have a forum.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 04:19 (Ref:1267626)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Right Ive cleaned this thread up , please no more racist remarks.

And as for saying where are the moderators when they are needed.

seems to me that people are forgetting that there is a little warn button , we cant be everwhere all the time folks so use it if you feel something is inappropriate then we know exactly where to look.

Carry on
Old 2 Apr 2005, 04:21 (Ref:1267627)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and Snrub while I respect your opinion , Im sorry i disagree what was said can be considered a racist remark and i have removed said posts and others pointing it out.

its not censorship its common sense , we a multinational communtiy lets try and act like it
Old 2 Apr 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1267763)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like what I wrote has been cut, simply because part of it was in disagreement with the post that resulted in the thread descending into (by ten-tenths standards) anarchy. Never mind. From what I can remember, I commented that Paul would be well-advised to consdier the NASCAR option, as it gives him a chance of a long-term second career, as well as being a pioneer for the sport in his homeland.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1268199)   #13
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all speculation at the moment, from that article he could be angling for a full time drive or a one off race when the NASCAR boys turn up in Canada...

(Heck, if the Three Amigo's are smart they could arrange a back to back kind of deal so Tracy can run both races, no matter what series is his "home" )

As for Champcar....it'll be a crying shame to lose Mr excitement of open wheel, but who knows, seeing what's happening on the other side of the world at the moment, there may be another famous Canadian to step into his Forsythe shoes next year.......stranger things have happened!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1268299)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
sorry Boots , I was a tad pressed for time and got a little carried away

and to everyone else who I may have removed their posts that were on topic
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1269262)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
As for PT, isn't the Nascar calender full? Does that mean PT would do Busch? - that seems a bit beneath him. Where is a Canadian race going to happen for PT to help pioneer? If he's a CC die-hard, why does he want to bring competition to Canada? I dunno, just don't have a very good feeling about this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
...Snrub while I respect your opinion...
You do? Why? (you don't need to answer that, I know you're just being polite)

Quote:
...Im sorry i disagree what was said can be considered a racist remark and i have removed said posts and others pointing it out.
I guess it was a bit prejudicial, but I'm not sure that it was racist. You're typical southerner is an Anglo-Saxan like most people in the US/Canada.

Last edited by Snrub; 3 Apr 2005 at 21:40.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1269315)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
As for PT, isn't the Nascar calender full? Does that mean PT would do Busch? - that seems a bit beneath him.
That is exactly the attitude that shot Fittipaldi's stock-car career to ****.

(Meaning, obviously, when that particular attitude is that of the driver.)

It's been proven over and over again that at least one year of Busch before moving up to the Cup series is extremely valuable to drivers coming from elsewhere than stock-cars. Just ask Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman and tons of others.

Going straight to Cup and expecting to do wonders is one of the most common mistakes "outsiders" do, and in the case of Fittipaldi he also managed to join one of the worst teams - at the time at least; they've picked up this year - competing, Petty Enterprises.

Of course, after running into trouble they - or rather their hardcore fans - start to rant about how everyone else are against them and how other drivers take 'em out on purpose just because they are "outsiders" etc...

Last edited by macdaddy; 3 Apr 2005 at 23:47.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1269319)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
...Shouldn't really have to do either in the first place!

Last edited by macdaddy; 3 Apr 2005 at 23:31.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1269325)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not going to argue over this...
Ah well, whatever.

I'm not, either.
-macdaddy

Last edited by macdaddy; 3 Apr 2005 at 23:32.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1270923)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
My point is more that if PT considers himself not too far from the end of his CC career, does he want to start on the Nascar ladder? Again, for the theoretical race in Canada, wouldn't that suggest that rather than climb the ladder he'd stay in Busch?
Old 5 Apr 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1270942)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tracy is an important part of Champ Car, I sure hope he stays in Champ Car untill he ends his carrer, similar to Vasser?
Old 5 Apr 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1270994)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
My point is more that if PT considers himself not too far from the end of his CC career, does he want to start on the Nascar ladder? Again, for the theoretical race in Canada, wouldn't that suggest that rather than climb the ladder he'd stay in Busch?
If he's interested in making a more money even a mediocre team in the Cup Series would probably make it worth it.

Take for example Jeff Green, who's driving the #43 Petty Enterprises Dodge. His best finish so far this year is 16th (with the four other finishes all outside the top-20), and yet he has collected over $700k in winnings.

As a comparison the 2004 Busch Series Champ collected just over one million - for the whole year.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1271021)   #22
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that PT can get one more lucrative contract out of Champ Car. He is an integral part of the series, he could almost be considered a franchise player. Champ Car need to retain their stars like PT to maintain and grow their fansbase.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1271267)   #23
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a Thought.

I know this would never ever happen because of his age and how F1 conducts business with its drivers, but I've always wanted to see paul drive in F1 just to see how he would do. I think it be sweet, and fun to watch. I bet he would out do Villenuve.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 05:59 (Ref:1271465)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He tested a Benetton in 1994.

He wasn't far off the pace over one lap, but the team was appalled by his lack of fitness/stamina - although clearly that's an area he has improved in since.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1271786)   #25
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a feeling his mouth may have eliminated his chances of ever racing in F1. Heck it might keep him out out of the new Nascar even.