Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Nov 2003, 17:34 (Ref:787344)   #1
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Citroen on McRae

A few quotes from Autosport's Rally GB supplement by the Citroen team. Perhaps the McRae bashers should have a quick read over these quotes before they start their next round of criticism.

Guy Frequelin, Citroen team principal on McRae's 2003 season:

"He has been unlucky this year. He has had lots of problems with things like the misting screen in New Zealand; in Sweden he had a misunderstanding with Derek and they spun a couple of times; he was quick in Argentina - then came Finland. He was very quick in Finland, but he got the minute penalty. Finland was good, though; we saw the old Colin. He showed how quickly he can still drive."

Guy Frequelin on rating McRae and Sainz:

"How can you choose between them? How can you choose between Colin McRae and Carlos Sainz? I had to."

Guy Frequelin on Citroen's decision:

"In the end it came down to marketing. In Britain it is hard to do the advertising showing the speed of the car. It was a marketing decision, certainly not a driving decision. These new regulations made things very, very difficult for me - and I am sorry to lose Colin."

Alex Avril, Citroen car controller on McRae's 2003 season:

"His only problem was luck...He didn't have any."

Unfortunately these people ARE World Rallying so they know what they are talking about.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 17:45 (Ref:787364)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the marketing theme, and purely by hearsay, I heard that Citroen UK made a policy decision not to include WRC in their UK road car marketing campaigns. Sounds like absolute barking madness to me - and a complete miscalculation of McRae's pulling power in the UK - but if it's true, I'm sure that had a bearing on the rally team decision.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 18:53 (Ref:787470)   #3
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Bob Irvine.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad u posted that Jock,far too many people jumping on the bandwagon and saying hes lost it and all that c**p
Old 18 Nov 2003, 19:26 (Ref:787501)   #4
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well its true what jock said and quoted,

But one of the main reason was that he did zippo promotion for Citroen

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 19 Nov 2003, 08:31 (Ref:787945)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ironically Citroen have been running a TV ad in the UK for some time, showing a WRC car sliding around a Citroen car showroom - but the driver seems to be an actor, not a WRC driver, and certainly not Colin - very strange.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 09:39 (Ref:787998)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Citroen, or any WRC team for that matter, would never let an actor drive a WRC car, no effing way.
Has to be a WRC driver that did most of the driving, or should i say, sliding?

Last edited by ASCII Man; 19 Nov 2003 at 09:40.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:21 (Ref:788056)   #7
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Bob Irvine.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no way its an WRC driver,it will be a less known driver which then switches to the actor stepping out of the car,just as they did with the Mcrae Focus advert.

Last edited by Bob Irvine..; 19 Nov 2003 at 11:25.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 13:11 (Ref:788192)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd forgotten about that ad!

Seems to contradict my 'hearsay' then!