Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:20 (Ref:530008)   #1
RubberD
Racer

RubberD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your opinion on the rookies

Da Matta. Lost it when trying a move on Webber and Schumacher.

Firman. Not good

Pizzonia. Not bad. He didm't know the track so why takes chances.

Wilson. Could not he find a better things to do with his money than paying for such a crappy ride?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:22 (Ref:530012)   #2
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta: sensational on Friday, pretty good on Saturday, just ok on Sunday.

Firman: Jury still out.

Pizzonia: Dissapointing, though a pretty good best lap on Sunday.

Wilson: An ok weekend, did very good in the race untill his radiator got punctured.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 13:58 (Ref:530056)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta: overall good first weekend, unforunately picked a bad place to spin out on Sunday.

Firman: Didn't really register on any Radar.

Pizzonia: Not really impressed so far. Seems a little ragged.

Wilson: That team needs to improve more before judgement can be made on Wilson. Difficult to bring a Pig to the Ball.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 9 Mar 2003, 14:05 (Ref:530058)   #4
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta: okay, good on saturday, but shouldn´t spin during the races
Firman: erm...he should better stop crashing...but beaing in mind that he had not much experience with the car, we should give him some time

Pizzonia: disappointing

Wilson: did okay, looking forward to see his next races
Old 9 Mar 2003, 14:46 (Ref:530072)   #5
Jellybabe
Racer

Jellybabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson was the best of the bunch in the race, and considering he's had less car time than any of the others that's impressive.

Da Matta doesn't look like he's going to do a Zanardi, which is good. He doesn't seem to be a JV or Monty either at the moment but the potential is there.

I didn't notice Pizzonia much all weekend and I only noticed Firman when he was crashing or driving off track!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 14:59 (Ref:530091)   #6
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta - what's da matta with Da Matta? I thought he did very well (apart from his 2nd qualifying session). His accident was kind of ameteurish, but I expect he will do well this season as the Toyota improves.

Wilson - great start up 9 places, just bad luck with the car.

Pizzonia - I was surprised with his performance because I've always thought of him to be quick. He was far slower than Webber and didn't do that well, although it was a new track to him.

Firman - even though he's British, I don't think he is good enough for Formula 1. Jordan need someone who is going to be quick, and Firman he ain't.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:02 (Ref:530095)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta: F1 is'nt as easy as CART.

Firman: Formula Nippon is'nt what it used to be.

Pizzonia: Is also no Senna, if he really was that good sir Frank would'nt have let him go.

Wilson: had a great start, made very litle mistakes throughout the weekend and just had bad luck his radiator was punctured by a stone.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:04 (Ref:530100)   #8
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first race was rough on all rookies including De Matta who have to adjust to the F1 style of racing. Hey its only the first race of the season, fifteen to go to the 2003 season.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:05 (Ref:530102)   #9
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta: Probably made the biggest mistake of his life by entering F1

Firman: Lost in space

Pizzonia: I agree with steve nielsen on that.

Wilson: should pull himself together and everything will e just fine
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:08 (Ref:530107)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fpr Da Matta: That's the exact same thing he did at Road America last season! Let's hope he only does once this year too. He was running a heavy fuel load in quali, and I think you'll see him gradually move up the time sheets and be giving Panis a run for his money mid-season.

Neither Firman nor Pizzonia really impressed..but hopefully they'll be given more time to improve.

Didn't really see enough of Wilson, but he had a good, albeit brief run in the race. I'm more worried about Minardi...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Mar 2003, 15:14 (Ref:530118)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Jos also made(when asked about it) an interesting comment on it, he said that when some rookies(Kimi,Mark) did well, some other teams get the idea they need a rookie/young driver in their team when there are much better experienced drivers around who could fill those seats(Irvine,PDLR,Salo)
Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:00 (Ref:530190)   #12
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CDM, Firman: missed the first 20minutes and no comment,

Pizzonia: just saw flashes of the Jag on TV--most of the time was on the Ferrari: even though it is not leading and there are other battlefields at the same time.

Wilson: once in a while he was 9th (from 21st). Whatever his fuel load, tyre strategy, he is driving a MINARDI into top ten where no-one expects it to do so. Not bad as a debut. But how much potential he really has and how far he will go is unknown. Perhaps he will "do a Button"
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:48 (Ref:530348)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jury out, no rookie came under the chequered flag!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 9 Mar 2003, 18:42 (Ref:530410)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I nearly fell off my chair when I saw Wilson in 9th. Starting from 20th and from the pitlane, he made an amazing first few laps of the race and impressed immensely. Too bad about his punctured radiator.

As for the other three, can't say they impressed much. Firman crashed early on after running way back, da Matta spun (far back as well), and we hardly ever saw Pizzonia, though he made up a few places - always behind Mark Webber though, and didn't finish due to a rear suspension failure.

Having read the Jaguar report, they are pleased with Pizzonia's performance though, so he probably did reasonably well.

Last edited by R; 9 Mar 2003 at 18:52.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 18:53 (Ref:530424)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Jos also made(when asked about it) an interesting comment on it, he said that when some rookies(Kimi,Mark) did well, some other teams get the idea they need a rookie/young driver in their team when there are much better experienced drivers around who could fill those seats(Irvine,PDLR,Salo)

Badoer, Wurz, Gene, etc.
Well, maybe not Gene...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 19:17 (Ref:530444)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by R
I nearly fell off my chair when I saw Wilson in 9th. Starting from 20th and from the pitlane, he made an amazing first few laps of the race and impressed immensely. Too bad about his punctured radiator.

As for the other three, can't say they impressed much. Firman crashed early on after running way back, da Matta spun (far back as well), and we hardly ever saw Pizzonia, though he made up a few places - always behind Mark Webber though, and didn't finish due to a rear suspension failure.

Having read the Jaguar report, they are pleased with Pizzonia's performance though, so he probably did reasonably well.
Justin did'nt start from the pitlane, only Jos and Raikkonen did, Jos had problems with his car(oil line was broken after 1st sighting lap), so he HAD to start from the pitlane in the T car, Kimi came in to change tyres, but Justin started from the grid.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 19:53 (Ref:530493)   #17
sparfiz
Rookie

sparfiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firman started in 17th place and was in 8th place when he crashed. It shows good potential that he made up so many places.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 20:05 (Ref:530517)   #18
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
give them all a chance, its only one race into thenseason after all. its a challenging track as well.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 20:07 (Ref:530520)   #19
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're all being too hard on Pizzonia. It was a tough weekend for him, only being able to do 16 laps on Friday. At least he kept it together in the race, for as long as the Jag lasted. He qualified with a 1 stop fuel load and began running some quick laps when the fuel came down.

I think Antonio will be competitive with Webber by the time they get to Brazil and begin the European stretch.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 20:16 (Ref:530536)   #20
John Holmes
Rookie

John Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bunnies the lot of them. What wasted talent we have watching from the sidelines.
The midget from Toyota was very poor.
Did pizza boy do anything?
Firman, very mediocre, actually, lame!
Wilson, who knows, benefit of the doubt.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 21:39 (Ref:530624)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too early to judge for any of them. While it's easy to be critical of those who went off, remember that JPM, Rubins, Ralf, MS (not catastrophic), Webber, Kimi (qualifying) also went off. It's first race stuff and they're not doing something that's easy.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 21:49 (Ref:530639)   #22
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought they all did ok for a first race. Give them 2 or 3 before making a proper judgement.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 21:54 (Ref:530645)   #23
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a combination of speed, mediocre car, and remarkable gains in track position, the winner has to be Justin Wilson. But I was struck by da Matta's remark after the race, that he had missed the 100m mark because he was behind two cars, and by the time he saw the 50m mark it was too late... On the one hand, he candidly admitted the error; but on the other, this doesn't sound like something a mature drive should be doing. All in all, though, I'm with those who think it's too early to judge. Can't wait for Malaysia!

Last edited by Bibendum; 9 Mar 2003 at 21:55.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 22:55 (Ref:530723)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
Too early to judge for any of them. While it's easy to be critical of those who went off, remember that JPM, Rubins, Ralf, MS (not catastrophic), Webber, Kimi (qualifying) also went off. It's first race stuff and they're not doing something that's easy.
Webber did not go off. Unless you are talking about his off in practice. He had rear suspension failure in the race.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 23:03 (Ref:530731)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
da Matta: Good during free practise, and his qualifying wasn't too bad, but he let himself down with his spin.

Firman: Er... poor.

Pizzonia: Managed to keep it on the track, but was rather slow.

Wilson: Did well while he was on track. Good job.