Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Mar 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1243397)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fernandez vs. Fernandez at Indy?

That was the title of an item in today's Indy Star...

Apparently, Adrian's business partner, Tom Anderson, is meeting with Mo Nunn at Homestead this weekend to see if there is a possibility of having Adrian Fernandez drive for Mo Nunn Racing at Indy...

There are many details to be worked out....

Which set of set-up notes the team will use....

What race crew will be handling the entry (Mo's or some people from Adrian's camp or some of both)

How much equipment Mo still has in his shops...

Apparently, the car will run with Honda power....

Interesting development, isn't it???

Fernandez would be racing against his own team in another car....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 5 Mar 2005 at 16:16.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1243425)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be nuts.

You would think that Adrian could get sponsorship for the Indy 500 in his own car, wouldn't you? Can't see this one panning out...

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1243448)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems pretty ridiculous under the circusmtances, for Adrian to race against himself in effect. I know Tom and Mo worked together at Mo Nunn, so I suspect this is only a preliminary discussion that will never get anywhere.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1243455)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's essentially a third car for the team, but run by Mo Nunn's outfit.

It's not racing against himself.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1243510)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just telling you what Curt reported in today's Indy Star...

Maybe they will all be under the same umbrella, with Mo involved with the rest of the Fernandez operation...

But that was the "Sub-Header" to share this story line in today's Star...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 5 Mar 2005 at 19:32.

Old 5 Mar 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1243590)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Be cool to see Adrian run the 500. I think he still has a few more "competitive" laps left in him!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1243614)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
He had a little trouble in a "very loose" Busch SeriesTurdBucket today in Mexico City....

Hit the wall pretty hard...but he was fine...

But I'm a Fernandez fan...hope he does get a deal hooked up to run the Indy 500

Old 7 Mar 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1246178)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More from Speed. The last paragraph explains why he can't run a third car for himself :

NUNN WANTS FERNANDEZ

Morris Nunn and Kenny Brack couldn't put a deal together for this year's Indy 500 but the veteran owner/engineer is close to running Adrian Fernandez in the 2005 May classic.

"I've sent my two G-Forces back to the factory to get the update kits, I've signed up with Honda and I'm in the process of putting a crew together," said Nunn, who closed the doors on his full-time IRL operation this year when he couldn't find a competitive driver.

"Adrian and I have been talking and it's not a done deal yet but it's close."

The 41-year-old veteran from Mexico City earned three IRL wins in 2004 but isn't running this year because he lost his sponsorship. His Fernandez Racing is fielding cars for Scott Sharp and Kosuke Matsuura but isn't in the position to run another for the boss at Indy.

"We've got three good race engineers but we just don't have the people to run three cars," said Tom Anderson, general manager of Fernandez Racing. "Adrian didn't want to upset the chemistry and put any unnecessary strain on the team so he's trying to work something out with Morris.

"I think it's a good deal for both of them."

I hope it materializes, although I would have preferred seeing Mo give a younger driver a chance...

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Mar 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1246361)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that this Indy 500 is likely to be Mo's last outing as a team owner, Fernandez is the idea choice to push for a race win.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1246718)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could prove to be a great swansong for them both, although if Mo has 2 G-Forces, it's surely possible that he will give another driver a chance to qualify the second one once Adrian is safely into the race (noting the new qualifying procedure this year) - Simmons perhaps?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1246996)   #11
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Could prove to be a great swansong for them both, although if Mo has 2 G-Forces, it's surely possible that he will give another driver a chance to qualify the second one once Adrian is safely into the race (noting the new qualifying procedure this year) - Simmons perhaps?

Whoever pays him.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1247176)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Touché Team Owner. Sad but probably true.