Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Apr 2024, 15:40 (Ref:4207111)   #626
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Worth remembering that on April 8th 1973 the International Trophy race was held in a blizzard. Likewise the International Trophy meeting in 1983 was also affected by snow! There, motorsport and meteorolgy all in one post.
Just to try to keep Bauble happy ? , a memory of motorsport and weather .
Arrived at Cadwell for a race in the 70s , possibly first meeting of the year Easter time . Track covered with several inches of snow .
They run a couple of mechanical sweepers around , then a salt/ grid spreader , then asked everybody if they could do a few laps in their tow vehicles .
The track was raceable and mostly dry by mid morning and the meeting carried on as normal .

Nowadays a little bit of snow causes chaos across most of the country .
Old 30 Apr 2024, 16:22 (Ref:4207118)   #627
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
That made me laugh ???
Old 30 Apr 2024, 17:22 (Ref:4207125)   #628
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Just to try to keep Bauble happy ? , a memory of motorsport and weather .
Arrived at Cadwell for a race in the 70s , possibly first meeting of the year Easter time . Track covered with several inches of snow .
They run a couple of mechanical sweepers around , then a salt/ grid spreader , then asked everybody if they could do a few laps in their tow vehicles .
The track was raceable and mostly dry by mid morning and the meeting carried on as normal .

Nowadays a little bit of snow causes chaos across most of the country .
Marshalled at a meeting many moons ago at Donington. At sign on, underneath the old Craner Curve suites, you couldn't see the track for thick fog. Then some bright spark of a CoC, suggested that we, the marshals, drive around the circuit to help clear the fog. It was that bad even East Midlands Airport stopped flying for a while. Eventually the meeting got under way around midday, although it was still a little misty.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4207133)   #629
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Marshalled at a meeting many moons ago at Donington. At sign on, underneath the old Craner Curve suites, you couldn't see the track for thick fog. Then some bright spark of a CoC, suggested that we, the marshals, drive around the circuit to help clear the fog. It was that bad even toEast Midlands Airport stopped flying for a while. Eventually the meeting got under way around midday, although it was still a little misty.
I can recall a Boxing Day meeting at Brands many, many years back where the meeting was abandoned with heavy snow following which several of used Paddock Hill as a sled run.
Old 30 Apr 2024, 20:13 (Ref:4207137)   #630
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I can recall a Boxing Day meeting at Brands many, many years back where the meeting was abandoned with heavy snow following which several of used Paddock Hill as a sled run.
And I remember a Boxing Day Brands (1969?) that got cancelled because of thick fog, & that after we had trekked all the way down from Norfolk.
Old 1 May 2024, 05:19 (Ref:4207156)   #631
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thirty years ago today we lost the greatest of them all - Ayrton Senna.

RIP Ayrton
Old 1 May 2024, 05:39 (Ref:4207157)   #632
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of those "I remember where I was" moments. I was at the kart centre in Swindon working on their kart race team lorry. Phoned Mrs MM to find the result of the race and she said "Oh haven't you heard? Senna crashed and it doesn't look good."

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2024, 06:37 (Ref:4207160)   #633
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
One of those "I remember where I was" moments. I was at the kart centre in Swindon working on their kart race team lorry. Phoned Mrs MM to find the result of the race and she said "Oh haven't you heard? Senna crashed and it doesn't look good."

Yes, exactly.

I was at Snetterton for BTCC & on the Sunday morning commentator Brian Jones called for two minutes' silence. The circuit was crammed with race cars & people but you genuinely could have heard a pin drop. Ayrton spent much of his early career based in Norfolk, racing for Van Diemen in FF1600 & then Rushen Green in FF2000 before returning to drive for Team Lotus in F1, so he was well-known locally.
Old 1 May 2024, 06:39 (Ref:4207161)   #634
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And of course the day before we lost Roland Ratzenberger. It was a dreadful weekend.
Old 1 May 2024, 07:20 (Ref:4207164)   #635
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And of course the day before we lost Roland Ratzenberger. It was a dreadful weekend.
Indeed. Roland was a lovely guy too. Just so hard to believe it is 30 years ago. There is an extremely eloquent piece written by Damon Hill on the Telegraph site this morning.

In those days so many of the F1 grid came up through British FF & F3 & it seemed so much more personal because so many of us knew them personally, Sadly it is not like that now.
Old 1 May 2024, 08:23 (Ref:4207170)   #636
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Daily Telegraph's sports section carries a two page spread on Senna's death, by Damon Hill, who was, of course racing that day.

Two fatalities on the same weekend shocked the sport after a 10 year period without any. To older followers it was less of a shock.

Oops! Just seen your post John.

Last edited by bauble; 1 May 2024 at 08:24. Reason: Addition
Old 1 May 2024, 09:19 (Ref:4207176)   #637
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, exactly.

I was at Snetterton for BTCC & on the Sunday morning commentator Brian Jones called for two minutes' silence. The circuit was crammed with race cars & people but you genuinely could have heard a pin drop. Ayrton spent much of his early career based in Norfolk, racing for Van Diemen in FF1600 & then Rushen Green in FF2000 before returning to drive for Team Lotus in F1, so he was well-known locally.
We were racing in Malaysia that weekend and I phoned home that evening to let my Dad know how we'd got on. He said "Have you heard what happened at the Grand Prix?" and I told him we knew about Roland Ratzenberger. He then told us about Ayrton Senna....
Old 1 May 2024, 09:28 (Ref:4207177)   #638
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I remember doing a December meeting where there was ice around the track for qualifying and no one wanted to be the first, I was asked to go round first to test it as I had done many laps over the years. I was opposite lock from paddock to Druids and most of the track much to the amusement of the other guys waiting !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 May 2024, 11:53 (Ref:4207196)   #639
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Katie Price used to work for Eddie Jordan but no Great Tits there in those days
Old 1 May 2024, 15:14 (Ref:4207203)   #640
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Katie Price used to work for Eddie Jordan but no Great Tits there in those days
Ah, is that why she is famous?
Old 1 May 2024, 15:25 (Ref:4207204)   #641
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I remember doing a December meeting where there was ice around the track for qualifying and no one wanted to be the first, I was asked to go round first to test it as I had done many laps over the years. I was opposite lock from paddock to Druids and most of the track much to the amusement of the other guys waiting !
Hang on Gordon . You did that in the dry as well.
Old 1 May 2024, 15:27 (Ref:4207205)   #642
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
On the train again too Hockenheim . Said to the UK border force lad that we had a Morris 1000 engine in the race car . He had never heard of Morris yet alone a 1000. Dear O Dear .
Old 1 May 2024, 18:51 (Ref:4207213)   #643
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Talking of youth I noticed it is Will's (356sc) Birthday today, Tuesday, so Will.
Thank you….it appears I am catching up with many of you fast!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 1 May 2024, 20:25 (Ref:4207217)   #644
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
On the train again too Hockenheim . Said to the UK border force lad that we had a Morris 1000 engine in the race car . He had never heard of Morris yet alone a 1000. Dear O Dear .
On the train? Amazing what you can get in overhead lockers these days

Old 1 May 2024, 20:28 (Ref:4207218)   #645
midgetman
Veteran

Got to love this thread. Moving from the anniversary of the death of a champion to Gordon sideways without a breath. Quite some segué!

Old 1 May 2024, 21:03 (Ref:4207222)   #646
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hang on Gordon . You did that in the dry as well.
True, however after driving flat out on wet grass in the field next to the garage the we ran and driving the shale hot rod tracks for years, opposite lock was totally normal on the tarmac as well. Not always the fastest way round a circuit but great fun
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 May 2024, 21:44 (Ref:4207224)   #647
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
On the train? Amazing what you can get in overhead lockers these days
Its a special delta train I presume.
Old 1 May 2024, 21:45 (Ref:4207225)   #648
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Happy Birthday 356!
Old 2 May 2024, 06:31 (Ref:4207249)   #649
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Happy birthday Will. We stopped just past Reims last night . Awoke in the night to fantastic sheet lightning . Mrs Delta says you had thunder storms back home . Dark, gloomy and wet heading into Germany now .?
Old 2 May 2024, 08:28 (Ref:4207259)   #650
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Weekend weather forecast improving at Hockenheim. Chilly tho…