Old 18 Apr 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3061589)   #126
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Ok I've had Iracing for just over a week and i'm getting oh so frustrated.

I'm a fair driver. If someone has the line I will put up a fight for so long but then let them through. All without incident.

However, it seems every other Tom, Dick (quite literally) and Harry, just doesn't give a hoot. Just had an MX5 race on Lime Rock. I started 8th and was up to 5th on the first lap. Guy behind me in 6th was being pushy and I was watching this however he decided that a damned good love tap was enough (4x) to let me know. I let him through and went pursuing him.

Coming into the final stages and I'm latched on to 2nd and 3rd place. 3rd place is all over the place and i'm going for moves and poking it around. I get my nose cut off in to T1 and then into T2 he runs wide and then shuts the door mid corner.

Result........ Broken steering and a DNF along with 12 penalty points.

Cocknobs.

How long do I have to race for before I find decent people to race against?
I know the feeling. I did an MX-5 race a couple of weeks ago at Lime Rock and was going well, started 6th on the grid, was in 2nd coming out of turn one after a banzai start but got pushed out wide on turn 3 and had to coast across the grass and was running in 7th at the end of lap 1.

By lap 12 I was back up to 4th after a couple of retirements, within sight of 3rd place and catching as they had handing issues. The guys in 1st and 2nd were catching me and by lap 15 were close enough that I started giving them room to get through. This went on for a couple of laps, before 1st place got through on the pit straight and 2nd was about 2/10ths back.

I spent a whole lap giving him every opportunity to get past, thus slowing myself down and ruling myself out of 3rd place until we got to the pit straight on lap 17/18, where I pulled to the right hand side to let him go on the racing line, where he decided to side swipe me in to the end of the pit wall. This resulted in me having to run the last couple of laps with 'cross-eyed' steering and dropping to 8th by the flag.

Now maybe he thought I was holding him up, but even so, that's no excuse for nurfing me off and ruining my race. Admittedly, I didn't put in a protest as I didn't know how, but I was very pee'd off, so much so that a full post-race war of words ensued.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3061678)   #127
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its always the same in Rookie classes. It doesn't help the circuits used. Laguna Seca tends to spread the field out a bit more and so would Okayama GP version but iR are pretty bad at scheduling a series.

Once you get out of rookies things improve a lot as people care about their iR and SR a lot more! Bigger iR safer racers (in theory) you will compete against. The Skip Barber is a car I never got on with but when I drove the Star Mazda I first realised how good the sim was.

I also enjoy running the ovals too. The Trucks are great for close racing and some friendly guys in there that will run you hard and clean so don't discount turning left in the future

If you do carry on be careful what you buy as I've bought the Mustang, DP, IndyCar, V8 all which never appealed to me.
Old 21 Apr 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3063274)   #128
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rookies series? care only about your SR. seriously, you will get caught in incidents that are down to poor driving skills, or brain fades. that's why it's called "Rookie series" and not "Pro Skill series".
also, if your steering is "cross-eyed": hit the reset button. in Rookies at least, you'll get free resets, all you lose is the tow, but your car is brand new, driveable, and less SR-costing. remember: if you crash on the first lap, reset, and then drive 18 clean laps, you will get a decent SR-boost. if you /ragequit, you'll get a big drop.

also, the one thing I bear in mind in ALL classes: practise is there to find and extend your limits, and experiment with braking/acceleration points. in races, do what you learned in practise is comfortable and quick. and be able to admit: if your trying hard and the guys in front are still running away, they are just better than you.
Old 10 May 2012, 02:33 (Ref:3072021)   #129
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was just announced that they're adding the 2012 Honda Civic NGTC British Touring Car and the Honda HSV-010 Super GT car. They'll probably be coming early next year but add that to the McLaren MP4-12c GT3, Lotus 49, and RUF that are all coming this year and you have a lot to be excited about in the next year or so!
Old 15 May 2012, 22:36 (Ref:3075059)   #130
Andrew Rast
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
Andrew Rast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlongman View Post
It was just announced that they're adding the 2012 Honda Civic NGTC British Touring Car and the Honda HSV-010 Super GT car. They'll probably be coming early next year but add that to the McLaren MP4-12c GT3, Lotus 49, and RUF that are all coming this year and you have a lot to be excited about in the next year or so!
Indeed. I'm mostly a private iRacer that just does time trials and tests and stuff, so I love testing out my setups for cars.

I love NASCARs on road courses, personally, as well as V8 Supercars and Corvettes. Can't stand the Cadillac because I can't keep it in a straight line.

I only survived Lime Rock MX-5 Cup Rookie Series because I stayed at the back and watched everybody else crash. Literally, I didn't qualify, started 6th out of 10, throttled it halfway down the straight, watched 4 cars go off together in turn 1, another 2 go off in the next turn, 1 go off in the final turn of the first lap, and I was in 3rd place, no joke! Weirdest racing experience I've ever had, and I finished 2nd place with no track run-offs or contact to boot!
"I'm not claiming divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never claimed to have the answers to life. I only put out songs and answer questions as honestly as I can... But I still believe in peace, love and understanding." - John Lennon