Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2283004)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the trace leading from the melbourne loop is the very old one that stretches beyond the market car park in a field. you can see it on google earth if you look hard enough.

and yeah, the spitfire wasn't there this year certainly
Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2283005)   #27
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, the Spitfire is no longer there.

Perhaps Herr Tilke will bring it back. (Yes, I know it's a cheap joke!)

Jim
Old 6 Sep 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2283082)   #28
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
the spitfire on the craners has been there all the time, although the wings have fallen off recently...apparently idiots at the rock festival did that so maybe its away being repaired...one sad thing to see go...well 2 are the dunlop bridge and redgate lodge which will be demolished.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2283085)   #29
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did managed to build a Motorcross track on the infield this year but with this plan that is sure to go. So will the Download rock festival which isn't such a bad thing considering that could be held in any open field.

Shame they had to resort to Tilke to design it, but as things are going I'm not too confident this modification to Donnington will be done. The good thing about this plan is that you can have 2 separate circuits and therefore 2 sessions of trackdays in 1 go!!!

As for access, you must be barmy mad to drive there. Would be better off parking at my friend's in Long Eaton and bike it from there. Sorry but 1 main entrance to a grand prix venue from a small B road isn't gonna cut the mustard here!!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2283086)   #30
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is miraculous that the proposed changes don't seem like they will destroy the place. It is indeed arguable that it will be an improvement. Remarkable, really.

The access issues, though...they read rather monstrous, and, well, therein lies a bit of a pickle.

I remain a tad skeptical about any of it every happening (or at least in time for the GP), but, well, maybe it will...
Old 6 Sep 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2283097)   #31
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks OK, as modern circuits go. I notice that this is only phase one? I presume phases 2 and 3 will take place after 2010 and will involve changes (not necessarily to the layout itself) elsewhere on the circuit. As presented here though it shouldn't be bad for overtaking, and all the good corners are still there

If this goes ahead at all, I still can't see it lasting beyond its first contract.
Bernie gets Tilke to design all Formula One tracks because he is trying to create uniformity of presentation (for want of a better expression) across all F1 circuits. The scenery, location and layout may change, but everything else remains the same. Every circuit should be tidy, well presented, the height of modernity and giving the appearance of no expense spared.
And somehow, nowhere in the UK (least of all that bleak and muddy field that is Donington) could ever quite match up to Bernie's vision of the ideal F1 circuit. And I suppose all the while the government aren't willing to open the coffers it's all the less attractive.

Then again, I still think that should we end up with no Grand Prix in this country I still feel it would really be no loss to most of us. A Grand Prix on TV could be anywhere once the race starts, and there are plenty of countries who could draw the token crowd.

Last edited by pirenzo; 6 Sep 2008 at 23:15.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 01:01 (Ref:2283115)   #32
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I think it looks good, it certainly would persuade me to go back to Donington once these changes are done.
It does look OK and it's a little nearer to where I live (just North of where the cooling towers used to be *sob*).It also remains to be seen as to what sort of monetary reduction will be inflicted upon us and I'm still skeptical of the ability of the current road system to do a job that it has difficulty in doing even for some of the minor meetings!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2283422)   #33
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very sceptical as to what they would do but having seen the plans i'm impressed.

The Redgate-Coppice sequence has been kept like they said it would and the current national track has been maintained.

The Esses/Melbourne loop was only added to bring it up to MotoGP specs and the changes look rather good, the new infield section runs in a natural bowl and has a good degree of elevation change.

The two shorter circuits both look good and the western track which uses the current pitlane would make a great club track.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Sep 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2283441)   #34
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
the spitfire on the craners has been there all the time, although the wings have fallen off recently...apparently idiots at the rock festival did that so maybe its away being repaired...one sad thing to see go...well 2 are the dunlop bridge and redgate lodge which will be demolished.
The Spitfire on the inside of the Old Hairpin went early this summer - completely. When it went it still had one wing.

The Download festival never got anywhere near that bit of the circuit.

Regards

Jim
Old 7 Sep 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2283446)   #35
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
. . .

The two shorter circuits both look good and the western track which uses the current pitlane would make a great club track.
I agree. Short and with significant elevation changes. I find it difficult to visualise the sight lines but I suspect viewing could be excellent.

The position of the Club house is good but who will be in there?

Jim
Old 7 Sep 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2283824)   #36
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
the trace leading from the melbourne loop is the very old one that stretches beyond the market car park in a field. you can see it on google earth if you look hard enough.
Nope, that's not what it is. Having been there today and had a good look around I can only presume that it's another bit of circuit planned for the future. It looks very Tilke-esque to me anyway.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2283878)   #37
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hasn't the current pit complex only just been built?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2283892)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Hasn't the current pit complex only just been built?
Yes but it only works for bikes. (At least at this level anyway.) And the compromises made to get those in are all too evident. Botch job.

They were never going to get F1 (or, it has to be said, decent big meeting cars) in there. Just too small. Actually I intend to do some measurements (using Google Maps) and see how the proposed new pits compare with Silverstone.

When I get time!

Jim
Old 7 Sep 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2283894)   #39
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
Nope, that's not what it is. Having been there today and had a good look around I can only presume that it's another bit of circuit planned for the future. It looks very Tilke-esque to me anyway.
I think you and Bella are both correct, the Melbourne loop did extend further but I think it used to extend into another council district or something so made it very difficult as regards planning permission.

Whether it's on a "wish list" that if they could get permission from the separate authority, it's something they'd like to do.

It'll be interesting to see what the length of the proposed changes are because most new circuits are about 3.5 miles long, and Donington is only 2.5 miles at the moment. So with these initial changes I bet it'll take Donington upto about 3 miles, which kind of leaves the door open for this possible Melbourne loop extension.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2283898)   #40
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, it went much further down in the 1930s.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2284424)   #41
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
I agree. Short and with significant elevation changes. I find it difficult to visualise the sight lines but I suspect viewing could be excellent.

The position of the Club house is good but who will be in there?

Jim
Bernie......

(unless of course it's for DPRAC, to replace their Portakabins and little open grandstand at the top of the Craners- in which case I'm renewing my membership immediately..... )

http://www.dprac.co.uk/

Last edited by KA; 8 Sep 2008 at 08:46.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2284428)   #42
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I think you and Bella are both correct, the Melbourne loop did extend further but I think it used to extend into another council district or something so made it very difficult as regards planning permission.

Whether it's on a "wish list" that if they could get permission from the separate authority, it's something they'd like to do.

It'll be interesting to see what the length of the proposed changes are because most new circuits are about 3.5 miles long, and Donington is only 2.5 miles at the moment. So with these initial changes I bet it'll take Donington upto about 3 miles, which kind of leaves the door open for this possible Melbourne loop extension.
that's right- the old Melbourne loop extended quite a way beyond the new one- it's still there as a service/access road from memory, and I'm sure that at some point it crosses the Leicestershire/Derbyshire county boundary
Old 8 Sep 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2284467)   #43
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
They were never going to get F1 (or, it has to be said, decent big meeting cars) in there. Just too small.
But they get the BTCC. Oh wait, you said "decent".
Old 8 Sep 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2284690)   #44
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Have a look at http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/t4.htm for a map of the original circuit (one variant). The original Melbourne loop is still there, down past where the Sunday market is currently held.

The map can be aligned using RedGate.

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Sep 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2285606)   #45
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like it. For the first time ever, I think the powers-that-be have actually improved a classic circuit.

I'm happy with it.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2285774)   #46
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a question if anybody knows, whats in that massive building thats going to be demolished to make way for the new pit-straight?

I seem to remember that when I was there a couple of years ago, it just looked like a big warehouse or something...
Old 9 Sep 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2285799)   #47
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
yep its just a big exhibition centre, usually has car boot sales in
Old 10 Sep 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2286358)   #48
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't it hold their car collection? If it does then where are they planning on putting that? Or are they just going to sell it off...which would be a shame but maybe it's part of their cunning plan to be able to afford all of the changes.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 10 Sep 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2286362)   #49
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, the Donington Collection ishoused in the building near the main entrance, and still shown on the new layout.

From my point of view the new track looks really good, especially the new loop, whic I guess will be downhill as it heads towards the old hairpin. I can't wait to race on it. My only grumble (and it's a small one) is that I really liked the old Coppice corner with it's blind turn in and 'false' apex curbs. That the whole section from Redgate to Mcleans is intact is a blessing, especially the Craner Curves/Old Hairpin part.
Let's just hope it alll comes together now!
Old 14 Sep 2008, 00:19 (Ref:2289363)   #50
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
that's right- the old Melbourne loop extended quite a way beyond the new one- it's still there as a service/access road from memory, and I'm sure that at some point it crosses the Leicestershire/Derbyshire county boundary
correct, see here - the old loop extends down the two roads beside the marshals campsite, out of the circuit boundaries, and turns back in the sunday market area. it's clearly visible. in older evolutions of google earth it wasn't freshly tarmaced at the end.