Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 Jan 2002, 20:58 (Ref:202339)   #1
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eurosport to show IRL

This year Eurosport will show an hours week delayed highlights of all IRL races.

It seems that CART's international TV contract is still being negociated and hopefully will be announced soon!
Old 21 Jan 2002, 22:03 (Ref:202399)   #2
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Week delayed highlights are a waste of time, no one will be able to get into it that way. Like NASCAR do the same thing, previously they had about 15 live full races on Eurosport in 98 & 99. I just hope CART doesn't go the same way. Although at least for us in the UK, Channel 5 should still show all CART races as live on Monday nights. Hopefully sky sports will still cover the IRL live, I wish they still they still did winston cup as well.

Last edited by Raven; 21 Jan 2002 at 22:07.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 22:10 (Ref:202406)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was good news just as I'm about to head off for bed. Week delayed highlights is better than nothing, especially for me who have never seen anything of the IRL at all.

Now... how about that IRL forum...
Old 21 Jan 2002, 22:19 (Ref:202418)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to watch IRL on Eurosport. Having never seen a race, I'd like to see what it is like. Plus I'll be able to see Gil de Ferran and Penske

The CART coverage on Channel 5 isn't great, they put it on aroudn 1 in the morning!
Old 21 Jan 2002, 22:53 (Ref:202445)   #5
Raven
Veteran

England
So tape it, then if it's a good race you've got it forever.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 23:30 (Ref:202469)   #6
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Raven,

What's bad about eurosport & NASCAR is that Eurosport if it wishes can show all the races live!
This year we have to wait 2 weeks to see delayed coverage of the Daytona 500!

It'll be good to get the highlights of the IRL.

Though if they showed the Indy 500 live that would be something!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 16:23 (Ref:202752)   #7
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we talking about "British Eurosport" or "Eurosport International" here? They don't always show the same stuff. In 2000, British Eurosport had CART live but Eurosport International only had hour long highlights on the Wednesday or Thursday after each race.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:05 (Ref:202777)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a very good point. I honestly didn't think of that. I could never understand why Eurosport should be split up like that anyway, what's the point of that? I'm going to do some investigation to try to find out whether it will be "British" or "International" Eurosport that will show the IRL races.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:21 (Ref:202782)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I'm pretty sure that British Eurosport will show the IRL, the only snag is that British Eurosport sometimes shows some live french football on Sunday nights, it happened last year when a delayed NASCAR race was shown on Mondays.

The reason why they split it, is that British Eurosport can show stuff in the UK only, where sometimes Eurosport international mightn't be able to due to restrictions in another country, France Australia rugby match comes to mind, also BE can show that french football where Eurosport Int'l can't!

I can't see why British Eurosport won't show the IRL, its not as if SKY is depending on it for money!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:27 (Ref:202789)   #10
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, but R and I get Eurosport International, not the British version...
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:30 (Ref:202794)   #11
R
Veteran

Well, that's one thing, Eurosport International not being able to show French football and rugby due to restrictions, but I can't see why on earth that should have affected CART two years ago! CART isn't French... or European, so it shouldn't affect any "domestic" issues in any European country.

Anyway...

I don't know about British Eurosport, but I've done a search, and Eurosport International will definitely show IRL from Miami on Sunday 10th March, 9-10 pm CET. However, that's also the date of the CART season opener in Monterrey, and we know absolutely nothing about whether or not Eurosport will bring us that this year. To be continued...
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:53 (Ref:202802)   #12
The Beer Baron
Veteran

R,

CARt is quite popular in the UK, with CART races always being amonst the top-ten watched programs on it in the week they are shown.
British Eurosport can schedule their programs differently that Eurosport International, because another broadcaster could hold the TV rights in another country limits what Eurosport International can show, but that restriction mighn't apply to the UK, where British Eurosport can show it.

Eurosport's schedules are the greatest work of fiction since war & peace! If a deal is done with CART, you bet CARt will be live & the IRL & NASCAR will be given other slots!

If anyone knew the scheduling Eurosport proposed for the Michigan 500 , it changed weekly, until finally it was all to be shown live!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 18:13 (Ref:202811)   #13
R
Veteran

As far as I know, no other channel showed CART races live in 2000, at least not in Scandinavia. I'm not sure what was the situation in central or southern Europe, though, so maybe another broadcaster held the rights there, and that was the reason why Eurosport International couldn't show the races live.

Live broadcasts will always be given priority over pre-recorded, so if a deal is struck with CART (let's hope!), the IRL and/or NASCAR will be moved either to an earlier or a later slot, maybe the next Monday. No big deal, since it's already shown a week late anyway.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 19:04 (Ref:202833)   #14
The Beer Baron
Veteran

French based AB Moteurs showed live CART in 2000, but it required moving your satellite dish around.
I have cable so I didn't get to see it
CART won't sell us short this year!
Old 29 Jan 2002, 22:52 (Ref:206367)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This thread moved to its new home.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 12:08 (Ref:207289)   #16
touring fan
Rookie

touring fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean that Sky will still show live IRL or not?:confused:
Old 31 Jan 2002, 20:09 (Ref:207668)   #17
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Have we heard any more on this subject?
Old 31 Jan 2002, 20:18 (Ref:207675)   #18
The Beer Baron
Veteran

I'm not sure if SKY will still show the IRL or not, but it definetly will be on Eurosport!
Old 31 Jan 2002, 20:59 (Ref:207715)   #19
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Good. I can't get Sky Sports, but I can get British Eurosport.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 21:39 (Ref:207777)   #20
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Hakkiman do you have Sky Digital?

I need to know if I can get eurosport on it without having to subscribe to sky sports!
Old 31 Jan 2002, 22:24 (Ref:207859)   #21
touring fan
Rookie

touring fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got sky digital. I think you can get British Eurosport without subscription.(though it's worth getting the sky sports channels cos they do quite a bit of motorsport and their IRL coverage is/was very good). Definately better than what Eurosport are likely to show.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 22:39 (Ref:207870)   #22
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I do have Sky Digital and Eurosport/British Eurosport is channel 419. Eurosport News is channel 420. As Eurosport is part of the basic package (something 40/50 channels) you don't need to subscribe to the Sky Sports package to get it.

Right now, we can't afford the extra money to have the Sky Sports channels. Maybe once I have a job, we will do.

Last edited by Speedworx; 31 Jan 2002 at 22:42.
Old 31 Jan 2002, 23:22 (Ref:207896)   #23
Raven
Veteran

England
Sky sports have covered the IRL since it began, so I hope it will continue! All races & all live... yeah I'm sure Sky will keep it.
Old 1 Feb 2002, 00:02 (Ref:207912)   #24
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Thanks guys, Sky on their website have their options and put B.Eurosport in with Sky Sports world pack,

great it can be got with the basic package, i might consider getting it installed
Old 7 Feb 2002, 15:21 (Ref:211650)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too bad Sky Sports aren't easily available through-out Europe (at least not in Sweden), and often display a really sh*tty side towards other channels trying to show stuff Sky happens to have the rights to.

Example: Last year a channel in Sweden - Viasat Sport - showed 1½-2 hour tape delayed broadcasts of IRL races (pretty much the full coverage, excluding commercials). Usually it was 1, sometimes 2, weeks after the race has been run, and that's just fine by me. BUT, for some reason Viasat Sport couldn't show the Indy 500, nor could they show the race at Richmond. Why? Well, my guess is that Sky Sports, for some reason, blocked Viasat Sport from showing anything from those races. Money, of course, could be a factor, and I could understand the Indy 500 not being shown because of that. But the race at Richmond, obviously, shouldn't be as expensive, nor does it carry the same prestige.

What enforces my belief that Sky Sports are the culprits is the NASCAR broadcasts on Eurosport in '98. Not a single restrictor-plate race was shown in '98 - do you think it was a mere coincidence that Sky Sports just HAPPENED to have the live-rights for those exact races? I think not.

I'm sure Sky Sports is all peachy - IF you live in the UK. But for the rest of Europe, they continue to show - over and over - nothing but signs of being a ruthless and greedy TV-network that deserves no better than being blown to smithereens.
</rant-over>

Can you tell I'm not too fond of Sky Sports?

Last edited by rustyfan; 7 Feb 2002 at 15:24.