Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Oct 2003, 22:15 (Ref:755400)   #1
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Dyson keep the MG's?

After all the problem's this year(and today) will Rob Dyson keep the MG's as long as there grandfathered(through 2005) or sell them this winter and try a different LMP or a different serie's(Rolex)?

They seem like a money pit to me. Dyson would have beter result's if he dusted off the old R&S SR1's from last year...
Old 18 Oct 2003, 22:18 (Ref:755401)   #2
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they will try running the "MG" 3.4 liter V8, as is Intersport. I thought that was the way to go in LM675 from day one.
Old 18 Oct 2003, 22:19 (Ref:755404)   #3
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
That would be a step up in reliabilty over the 2L MG but would it be competitive in LMP1 next year?
Old 18 Oct 2003, 22:29 (Ref:755408)   #4
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with weaver at the wheel an anorexic donkey would be competitive.

It looks like the 3.4L Intersport car was running about the same times as the 2.0L car was last time it was at Atlanta...
Old 18 Oct 2003, 22:30 (Ref:755409)   #5
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had been wondering the same thing, but I think he will stick it out with the MG one more year. In 2004 he'll have the best chance to win Sebring overall and will be able to race at their home track (Lime Rock). Just maybe he will go to Le Mans, but that is a promise he has been making for many years.

If the Rolex series grows to 20 or so DPs by the end of 2004, I do think that he is likely going to switch to the Rolex series and run a DP in 2005. I am sure he is not happy having to sit out Daytona.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 00:20 (Ref:755442)   #6
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I'm sure that if he was missing Daytona then he'd race there as a one off - there doesn't seem to be a shortage of cars looking for drivers.

I guess those who have been implying that Rob is about to throw in the towel would have been surprised by his statement on the ALMS Radio Web just now!
Old 19 Oct 2003, 00:39 (Ref:755443)   #7
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
What did he say on the radio web? I quit listening to it when Speed Channel's coverage started up again.
Old 19 Oct 2003, 02:14 (Ref:755470)   #8
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Paraphrasing - he said they'll be back in 2004 and trying harder!
Old 19 Oct 2003, 16:16 (Ref:756105)   #9
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob wont be giving up any time soon. That is for sure. As for the DPs did you notice that a lot of his team members wear Crawford Composites clothing? Andy Wallace has already been testing the Crawford DP and we all know Chris has been driving in GAC. I dont think he will pick a one or the other deal, but I bet you will see a Dyson run or supported Crawford in the future. Dyson got Crawford his first and only win in SR1...
Old 19 Oct 2003, 19:28 (Ref:756248)   #10
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
The Wallace / Crawford link may have something to do with the fact that Andy lives with Max's daughter!
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:49 (Ref:756864)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Will Dyson keep the MG's?

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B

They seem like a money pit to me. Dyson would have beter result's if he dusted off the old R&S SR1's from last year...

I'm not so sure about that- OK, they've had far too many DNF's, but they've frequently been able to match the Audis for pace and beaten them outright once- I'm not sure they'd have managed that with their old R&S- they'd have had more consistent results sure, but I have a hard time imagining them having won a race....
Old 20 Oct 2003, 13:35 (Ref:756982)   #12
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did run their old R&S before they got the MG last year(yes the MKIII A). And not really that competitively neither...
Old 20 Oct 2003, 15:19 (Ref:757125)   #13
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dyson is in this for the challenge and he has the money to support it. While I am sure there is a limit to what he is willing to spend on this challenge, I don't think he would ever consider going back to the R&S. The MG's give him his best shot at overall wins in the ALMS and his illusive overall Sebring win. Most important, he has full control over the MG development, which is why he did not choose an Audi.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 21:20 (Ref:757489)   #14
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dyson wants his Sebring win, so I beleive he will show up with something until he wins, whether he races a DP or not. The DP couldn't hurt him at all. If I were him, I would have myself a nice R&S DP, and you know what would be my engine choice, and prep the MG for Petit and Sebring. Just my thoughts, but I have no doubts that Rob is looking real close at the DPs.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 20 Oct 2003, 21:26 (Ref:757496)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They would have to go to the American Spirit Racing garages to "Dust Off" the R&S MkIIIC," because Dyson sold that car to them so they could race it this year....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Oct 2003, 15:22 (Ref:758402)   #16
Carousel
Rookie

Carousel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the post-PLM press conference, Rob said, "My plans for 2004 include being a big pain in the ass to guys like Frank, Marco, JJ, and Johnny [all of whom were standing in the back of the room, grinning], and spending more time with them looking at the ass end of my cars than we'll spend looking at the ass end of theirs." On the issue of chassis/motor options, he was fairly cagey about any plans to look at the N/A Judd option that Intersport ran, but did say that Dyson has always been successful because they considered all options in their quest to win races. Not a peep was heard regarding plans for any other series, but Road Atlanta wouldn't have been an appropriate forum for an announcement like that.
Old 21 Oct 2003, 16:04 (Ref:758451)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dyson will keep the MGs....the real question is the powerplant...and whether he might look at yet another, yet unexplored option for power for that chassis....

Old 21 Oct 2003, 16:17 (Ref:758464)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, Weaver wasn't the only person in the Dyson camp that was checkin' out the Intersport Lola/Judd, eh?

Hmmmmmm...

and all the aero goodies on the Dyson cars combined with the reliability of the Judd V8, it's just too tempting to walk away.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 17:48 (Ref:761020)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
On Mulsanne Mike's site in the news section he posted a response that he got from Dyson on this issue....

I would engourage you to read it for yourself, but in a nutshell, they will run the MG-Lola next year, will not switch to the Judd power, and will spend the winter months sorting out issues witht the car....

Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:29 (Ref:761071)   #20
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm wondeing if the 3.4 liter Judd might fit in Downings WM....
Old 23 Oct 2003, 19:50 (Ref:761165)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That car needs something....like intensive care, or adrenaline....they were turning laps slower than the GT cars at various points last Saturday....

But at least they finished.....especially on thier short-ended budget

That's more than many can say in the 675 class.....

Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:01 (Ref:761181)   #22
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
I'm wondeing if the 3.4 liter Judd might fit in Downings WM....
Possibly, but that's not the issue with that car. The WR chassis is a dog, with or without the under-powered Mazda motor.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:04 (Ref:761185)   #23
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by veeten
So, Weaver wasn't the only person in the Dyson camp that was checkin' out the Intersport Lola/Judd, eh?

Hmmmmmm...

and all the aero goodies on the Dyson cars combined with the reliability of the Judd V8, it's just too tempting to walk away.
After the rebuild at Lola, the Intersport car has the same aero goodies as the Dyson car now (reprofiled front fenders, etc).

I don't think the 3.4 Judd is as good as the AER turbo (power or torque). The only thing it has is reliability. But the new AER motor debuted at PLM should be a step in the right direction there. Also, the motor itself has been pretty good on the MG. It's the electrical ancillaries that have let it down.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:15 (Ref:761199)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
We had a whole thread (Intersport with Judd Power) on that Judd vs AER for horses and torque....Jon Field said in Atlanta that the Judd is "more torquey" than the AER....

and the real key is to gear the car to take advantage of whatever assets a particular engine has....to transfer the horses and torque to the wheels....

Look at that thread, particularly the numbers on each engine as we have been able to get them from teams or manufacturers, but more important, look at the "reverse engineering" and the graphs that Dauntless put in that thread....it is quite insightful...

For the record, the Judd 3.4 with 2003 restrictors cranks about 500 hp. and the AER with 2003 restrictors somewhere between 450 and 475...but we don't know exactly....the AER numbers are general numbers listed by teams that run it....the Judd numbers are from their website....

Old 23 Oct 2003, 20:15 (Ref:761200)   #25
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but they seem to have a lot of turbo problems, which cause electronic failure.

Did Intersport detune the Judd any for the race like the RfH team does with the V10?