Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Dec 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2602830)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rome sign F1 race deal

Being reported by the AP and also Sky Sports that the organisers of the proposed Rome GP have reached agreement with Ernie Becclestone to hold a race. No info on when it will begin but I wouldn't be surprised if it's replacing Turkey
Old 20 Dec 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2602834)   #2
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely as European/Mediterranean GP rather than Italian?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2602839)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think jab is right here...
Old 20 Dec 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2602853)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bernie is charging Turkey twice as much as usual to host GP events beyond 2010!

Link for conformation of possible 2012/2013 Rome race.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39703

Last edited by Marbot; 20 Dec 2009 at 19:41.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2602854)   #5
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
Surely as European/Mediterranean GP rather than Italian?
I sincerely hope so, Monza is irreplaceable.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2602862)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Anything is better than that grim Valencia track.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2602873)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
amen to that
Old 20 Dec 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2602878)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Anything is better than that grim Valencia track.
But it's Turkey (Tilke's best track!) that's likely to get the boot.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-...h-gp-race-fee/

In fact, the fee is doubled for 2010!
Old 20 Dec 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2602880)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Bernie is charging Turkey twice as much as usual to host GP events beyond 2010!
That's outrageous! The Turkish Grand Prix already lacks popularity, the circuit was nearly empty during this year's race weekend. Doubling the charge will undoubtedly force the organisation to raise the entrance fee, making the event even less accessible and hence less popular.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2602890)   #10
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if this is true then that is two races in Italy again
Old 20 Dec 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2602898)   #11
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
if this is true then that is two races in Italy again
Mmmm....two races in italy announced shortly after the man who has Ferrari red paint for blood takes over at the FIA? What are the chances of that coincidence happening!!

I knew I should have brought lottery tickets...
Old 20 Dec 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2602912)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Whats the reason he is doubling the race fees for Turkey?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2602920)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I don't even see why we are going to Turkey. When the interest clearly isn't there and the track is a ghost town for the whole weekend, clearly it isn't working and there are many other countries that would pain for a race. For me, it is simple. Whilst I think that Istanbul is a good track and it is by far and away one of Tilke's better tracks that he has designed, I'd happily see it off the calendar for Rome.

To be honest it would be good if we had a race in all the major cities, Rome, Paris, New York, etc. Of course for the latter two, it is very unlikely and I don't suddenly want an influx of boring street tracks other than Monaco and Singapore (Singapore as a novelty factor for the season) but Rome would espacially nice.

Like others have mentioned though, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of a traditional track like Monza. Whilst it's all fine and good going to these new places and having races, we must, MUST protect the classics of Monaco, Silverstone, Monza, Spa, etc.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2602922)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Rome GP organisers have always said from the beginning that they want a 2nd Italian race rather than to replace Monza, so this will be a Rome/Vatican (1982 official review...) GP on its own
Old 20 Dec 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2602964)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This could be a nice track. Yes, Turkey is one of Tilke's best, and I'd rather it was at the expense of Bahrain or China. However,

With regards to the name, I hope they don't call it the Vatican GP for Herr Ratzinger. They could call it the Mediterranean Grand Prix, Gran Premio di Roma, European GP if they do some name jiggerypokery in Spain (or, ideally, dropping both of those races and going somewhere else for Spain, either Motorland Aragon or Jerez).
Old 20 Dec 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2602996)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I think that the Vatican is actually a small stand alone state, much in the same way that San Marino is.

Whatever, it seems that we will once again have two races in Italy and also two in Spain, when the world champions are based in a country that nearly didn't have a GP at all!
Old 21 Dec 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2603050)   #17
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think that the Vatican is actually a small stand alone state, much in the same way that San Marino is.

Whatever, it seems that we will once again have two races in Italy and also two in Spain, when the world champions are based in a country that nearly didn't have a GP at all!
Better then having a Abu Dhabi - Bahrain - Qatar - Saudi Arabia - Bahrain - Abu Dhabi - Qatar - Saudi Arabia - Abu Dhabi - Qatar - Bahrain - Saudi Arabia - Qatar - Abu Dhabi - Bahrain - Saudi Arabia calender...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Dec 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2603106)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

A second Grand Prix in the British Isles would be a nice idea, but the challenge is finding a venue. It would have to either be new, pretty much new, or a temporary circuit. Donington, Mondello, Brands, Kirkistown, wherever, would be wholly inadequate. Without wanting to provoke car theft jokes I think Liverpool might be a possibility. It may be difficult, but perhaps the car track at Aintree could be brought back.

I hope the calendar starts moving in the right direction, this is certainly a nudge to it. Ideally the next race to be announced would be the USA ...
Old 21 Dec 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2603166)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 is a world championship and should have a healthy mix of both traditional venues and new venues in Asia and the Middle-East. Sadly, due to Ecclestone's hunger to money Formula 1 has been unable to find that mix.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2603336)   #20
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turkey is a reasonable circuit but with taking into account that Cowdenbeath probably get more fans for their Scottish Football Division home games then I think it should lose it's slot.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 21 Dec 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2603339)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Gran Premio di Roma was used for races at Vallelunga.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2603347)   #22
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So we get a Roman Chariot (with double diffusers) race.

Its clear the calender cannot go on expanding without others being lost. Just not possible, i'd say the odds on favourite to go is Turkey.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2603354)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's Christmas, and yet here we are, talking about no more Turkey. It's sad.

And what have the Romans ever done for us?
Old 21 Dec 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2603357)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Formula 1 is a world championship and should have a healthy mix of both traditional venues and new venues in Asia and the Middle-East. Sadly, due to Ecclestone's hunger to money Formula 1 has been unable to find that mix.
I agree that the balance has been tipped too far towards Asia, and to the detirment of Europe and North America. Ideally there would be quotas as follows.

The Big Eight (Britain, Monaco, United States, Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, Japan) - Eight Grands Prix
Europe (EEA + European Microstates) - Four races (incl. Spain, Finland and Portugal)
North America - One race (Canada)
South America - One race (Brazil)
Pacific and Asia - Four races (Singapore, Australia)

For a total of 18 races.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2603361)   #25
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

And what have the Romans ever done for us?
They invented sandals

(the Germans later adapted their design with socks )