Old 5 Oct 2001, 02:18 (Ref:156113)   #1
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART Announces 2003 - 2005 Engine Rules

I Just got this press release....

HOUSTON (October 4, 2001) – Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc. announced today that it will adopt a new engine formula beginning in 2003 that possesses the parameters common to open-wheel racing in the United States.

In a near unanimous decision, the 22-member CART Franchise Owners Board of Directors approved a move to a maximum 3.5-liter, normally aspirated engine formula from its current turbo-charged format beginning in 2003. The engine formula to be adopted will be open to the distinct possibility of certain enhancements to allow the FedEx Championship Series to continue its distinction as the most advanced form of open-wheel racing in the United States. Currently, Ford, Honda and Toyota provide engines to the most competitive field in the world.

“CART’s leadership position in open-wheel racing dictated for us to make an aggressive step toward the future in the best interest of our sport,” CART Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Joe Heitzler said. “We will have a normally aspirated formula similar to all major racing series in the world including Formula One, but will continue to have our own distinctive engine formula in the most competitive and challenging series in the world.”

The move will provide myriad of benefits including a significant reduction in engine costs; rules stability through 2005; reduction in speed on ovals while maintaining ultimate power on road and street courses; allow additional development for the teams to maintain a high technical level; and allow teams to compete in the FedEx Championship Series as well as the Indianapolis 500.

CART Senior Vice President of Racing Operations John Lopes and CART team owner Derrick Walker have been appointed by the Board to review all aspects of supply and specification associated with the new engine formula.

“This formula will provide commonality without compromising CART’s high-tech traditions,” Lopes said. “Our ability in the future to develop these motors, along with the aerodynamic and electronic developments pioneered by CART teams, affords CART the ability to remain the most advanced form of open-wheel racing in the United States.”
Old 5 Oct 2001, 06:09 (Ref:156134)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
When Tony George started the IRL, I didn't think it would last very long. Like the XFL. And then when the engines starting blowing up and the drivers started hurting their backs, I was sure it was a flash in the pan. Now, I fear they're calling the shots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Honda more interested in persuing development of turbocharged engines? Something makes me think I remember reading recently that Honda did not want to change formulae.

The current engine suppliers for the IRL are going to have to pull up their socks.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 09:10 (Ref:156168)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bad news IMO. I think they should stick with the turbos, if it aint broke dont fix it. I fear CART were put in a position by Toyota that effectively forced them to take this route.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 13:11 (Ref:156246)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The series is facing extinction. With Toyota leaving the series in 2003 and Honda and Ford both stating they would not supply every team in the paddock CART was left no choice.

Honda wanted to keep the turbo motors for several reasons. Cost is one. It will surely be expensive to retool. Honda is afraid that a 3.5 liter enigne package will appear to be lower technology than the current turbo motors.

Ford did not mind converting to NA motors, they just did not want to appear to be dictated engine rules by GM.

For Honda, I can understand the cost issues. However, their satellite company Mugen has already been working on a similar project for sports cars and I think this engine will dovetail nicely into the back of a Reynard or Lola chassis. Also, with Honda's prowess in variable valve timing and their high output small displacement road car engines the new engines will not appear to be low technology and will allow them to tie the engines in to their road car marketting.

I think that they concessions Toyota got from the IRL on main bearing and rod bearing strength will allow all of them to offer the IRL engines, and still be able to create powerplants with plenty of power for road racing.

All CART has done is adopt a 3.5 liter NA engine rule for 2003. they have not adopted the IRL rules for the engines and chassis designs. And they may not yet. I will miss the characteristic turbo engine sounds, but I would miss the series a lot more.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 15:31 (Ref:156305)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry Paulzinho but it was broke. Toyota were no longer willing to supply the engines, Ford and Honda could not do them all between them, and no new firm was interested in entering. Frankly this is needed to save CART from extinction.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 18:52 (Ref:156393)   #6
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The begining of the end?

I didnt think it would happen, a car manufacturer dictates terms to a racing championship.

So if Toyota's engines are **** in 2003 and they throw their teddy in the corner and say we want 2.5 V6's do we change again???

It stinks. I don't belive that Honda and Ford would destroy a marketing dream and championship because they cant suppliy enough engines. What ever happened to old spec units and outsourcing engine supply and development to third partys.

F1 has done it; Supertec, Mugen, AMT, Judd etc.

I just pray that the regs let you can have V12's at a rev limit of at least 13,000rpm so at least you get a decent noise with the 3.5 NA!
Old 5 Oct 2001, 20:37 (Ref:156443)   #7
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: The begining of the end?

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin Plummer
I just pray that the regs let you can have V12's at a rev limit of at least 13,000rpm so at least you get a decent noise with the 3.5 NA!
how about trashing the limiters altogether........
Old 6 Oct 2001, 12:44 (Ref:156703)   #8
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART IS SCREWED... BIG NO NO TO 3.5 ENGINES

Visit www.autosport.com to see the damage this has done. Toyota arnt bothered at all and Honda and Ford are threating to pull out.

CART R.I.P you fools! "If it aint broke dont fix it"
Old 8 Oct 2001, 13:26 (Ref:157457)   #9
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What would the fan rather see?

A series that continues to race as they do now. With a balance of road and oval racing, but with a 3.5 liter NA engine package.

Or a series that field only 16 cars because the engine builders will not supply the entire field.

I can tell you that Honda and Ford are both doing exactly the same thing Toyota did. They are all making ultimatums about the direction of the sport. CART has no choice since Toyota said they were going to quit building turbo motors. Honda and Ford have both been adamant that they will never supply all of the teams. What can CART do? They are taking a huge chance by altering the rules, but the series will die with only Hond aand Ford as suppliers, the series may survive if they can convince them to change.

The only way that CART can afford to keep both Hond and Ford is to include them in the design and specification parameters of the new formula. The engines will need to be radically different from the IRL spec engines for them to support it. The biggest problem is that Honda, Ford and Toyota will not come to an agreement on what they want. Obviously they do not see eye to eye on the direction of the series and now the egos and posturing are going to be the way they will all go. I think that is why CART went ahead and made the decision to change.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 20:47 (Ref:157742)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They could try the equalising formula...
Old 9 Oct 2001, 13:09 (Ref:158021)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Apparently Gerald Forsythe is questioning the ability of the franchise holders to institute the engine change and says the board of directors must be the ones to make that decision. So, it seems that more internal strife is on the way.
Old 9 Oct 2001, 13:51 (Ref:158036)   #12
Logan
Rookie

Logan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess if the worst happened and all 3 engine suppliers pulled out CART teams could buy up the same Nissan/Oldsmobile units used in IRL and fit them instead, if only to keep the championship going.

But lets hope it doesn't go that far!

Logan.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 16:48 (Ref:159163)   #13
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has already gone that far.

Smokin' Joe has let it go to the point where it already has gone that far.

At best, CART will run the IRL formula and run mainly road courses, while IRL is on the ovals. They will all come together in May.

At worst, there is no reason/ability for CART to continue.

KM
Old 12 Oct 2001, 00:53 (Ref:159479)   #14
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Let's see, Toyota to irl. Lola and Reynard to build irl chassis. A minimum of 3 CART teams going to Indy. Tony doesn't even have a title sponsor but this still happening! CART seems lost in a maze of mirrors. Who allowed this to happen? CART seems to be going the way of CanAm II.