Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Mar 2002, 17:50 (Ref:232927)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The New Rules

I think I like these new rules. Especially the qualifying format and the fuel allotment. Great to see everybody charging full-rich. Pure racing. No more economy runs.

Gonna take the teams some time to adjust, just ask Carpentier. Black-flagged for staying on track for one lap too many.

What I'm curious about is this: What would have happened in Mexico if a driver had to make his stop due to the 27-lap rule, but at that time the pits were closed? I would hate to see a great run ruined by a black-flag that was unavoidable.
Old 11 Mar 2002, 20:04 (Ref:233028)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These new rules are stupid and should be taken out. Especially the rule about pit stops. It takes away the fuel economy game completely. The pit lane is there if you need it, but (for road courses) it should always be open, and you can go in it if you chose to, or stay out of it if you chose to.

One thing that people forget is that it's this fuel economy game that has allowed cars that might not have been the best throughout the race to come through with the win. Remember Scott Dixon's win last year? Wouldn't happen this year...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Mar 2002, 20:10 (Ref:233035)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Personally, I don't think that cars that were not the best throughout the race should win.
Old 11 Mar 2002, 20:23 (Ref:233048)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race seemed great. I would have loved to have seen it LIVE, but I couldn't
Old 11 Mar 2002, 21:09 (Ref:233079)   #5
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay

One thing that people forget is that it's this fuel economy game that has allowed cars that might not have been the best throughout the race to come through with the win.
That's pretty much the point of the new rules...
Old 11 Mar 2002, 21:09 (Ref:233081)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pit stop rule is the only one I didn't like. The others were fine and I love seeing flat-out racing.

There should also be a rule that Derek Daly cannot make up his own answers if the driver he wants to interview is too busy to talk to him.
Old 11 Mar 2002, 22:08 (Ref:233153)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franchitti - "It was a hard race today. But it feels very satisfying to push so hard and come home second."
I think that pretty much says it all. I for one am glad the days of the fuel economy runs are over. Last year we had far too many non-deserving winners. And besides strategy stills plays an integral part, if it wasn't for Tracey's fuel pick-up problem and Carpantier missing his pit-in call both those guys would have had a good shot at the podium.
As for the slower guys not having a chance, remember this still is CART, look at Papis, he had an excellent race. Flubbed the final pit-stop but until then was a serious contender. CART has to have the most competitive field, and with the new rules, we'll have no pretenders.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Mar 2002, 22:57 (Ref:233188)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Still curious... Does anybody know what would happen if their mandated "window" came up while the pits were closed?
Old 12 Mar 2002, 00:03 (Ref:233215)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I liked the way the new rules work. I don't like the fact that Friday's fastest qualifier is "guaranteed" a front row start. But otherwise I think they worked pretty well.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 01:11 (Ref:233247)   #10
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Does anybody know what would happen if their mandated "window" came up while the pits were closed?
It is good that you've thought about the rules and how they might fail, but I wouldn't worry about this situation. It would be the height of folly to tell someone it is illegal to pit and then turn around and penalize them for not pitting.

CART has done some boneheaded things in the last year, but I can't believe that even they could be that dumb. Err, well... I guess they could force the driver(s) to stop at pit in and wait for the pits to open.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 01:15 (Ref:233252)   #11
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the front row spot for Fridays fastest man because it provides a big incentive to the teams to run full out and it gives fans some excitement.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 01:32 (Ref:233261)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer to have the teams decide who wins through their own strategies....not the rule book.

Fuel efficiency has long been a factor in winning races. It's always been an important design consideration for the engines. I think teams that have cars that run efficently, and can stay out a little longer should be rewarded for it.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 12 Mar 2002, 04:21 (Ref:233296)   #13
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yup, I'd have to say that I fall in to the "happy with the new rules" crowd. I like the Fri thing, as someone mentioned, gets everyone running right at it from the start, and while the max laps run before a pit stop thing will be a bit confusing from track to track, all in all I enjoyed the race. (just finished watching it on tape late Monday night)

This is still a really enjoyable series to watch, and not once during the race did I think of the missing Penske boys--not a slight, but just to say that it's still a damn exciting racing series and I can't wait to see them in Montreal!
Old 14 Mar 2002, 10:03 (Ref:234869)   #14
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like all the new rules apart from Trac control and lower boost

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock