Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3990141)   #2226
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Do I need to keep the paper licence ?
Old 22 Jul 2020, 10:18 (Ref:3990143)   #2227
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good question. I have mine stored away safely just in case
Old 22 Jul 2020, 10:38 (Ref:3990148)   #2228
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I'm sure I had my plastic licence a long time before then, some time in the early 1990s I think.
The Photocard element of UK Driving Licenses started to be issued from 23 July 1998.

The table of categories on the rear was an EU requirement from 19th January 2013.

Prior to 2013, there was no need to include the table of categories on the rear of the plastic Photocard.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 11:32 (Ref:3990156)   #2229
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Driving licence counterpart abolished: changes you need to know

'What to do with your paper counterpart
The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.

If you have a paper driving licence
Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.'
Old 22 Jul 2020, 12:37 (Ref:3990173)   #2230
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Personally I would keep it, as a mate of mine had his licence returned less his motorcycle part. When he got onto them they said "can you send us the pink slip pass" He replied that he passed his test in 1966 and somehow it's been misplaced ! He had to take his test again.
When I applied for a new licence I made sure that I still received my motorbike part but as I was over 70 I lost my 7.5 ton part.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3990174)   #2231
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Personally I would keep it, as a mate of mine had his licence returned less his motorcycle part. When he got onto them they said "can you send us the pink slip pass" He replied that he passed his test in 1966 and somehow it's been misplaced ! He had to take his test again.
When I applied for a new licence I made sure that I still received my motorbike part but as I was over 70 I lost my 7.5 ton part.
If this is a concern, particularly if people have already lost their paper counterpart, it might be beneficial to check the records held on the online service?

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Old 22 Jul 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3990212)   #2232
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I have heard this several times . . . they rarely get spelling correct either. the DVLA must pay peanuts .
Old 22 Jul 2020, 16:02 (Ref:3990235)   #2233
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you are talking about the paper counterpart of the plastic licence you don't need to keep it but I would and have done with mine.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3990238)   #2234
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Tim.BTW I am testing again next Friday 31st July Brands Hatch.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3990240)   #2235
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks Tim.BTW I am testing again next Friday 31st July Brands Hatch.
What are you peddling ? and by the way "next" Friday is the 24th I'll bring a spare coil
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jul 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3990241)   #2236
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Trying to remember what they usually have at Brands Hatch at this time. BTW ‘this’ Friday is the 24th, next Friday is the 31st. Hope that clears that up
Old 22 Jul 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3990242)   #2237
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well, I am now being disturbed by these funny things that have started to fly over my house again. I'll have to complain as my house was here before Gatwick was thought about and I can't be classed as a "NIMBY" as I've lived here since 1947
Old 22 Jul 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3990243)   #2238
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well, I am now being disturbed by these funny things that have started to fly over my house again. I'll have to complain as my house was here before Gatwick was thought about and I can't be classed as a "NIMBY" as I've lived here since 1947
Are you getting many, the flights over my house are still few and far between for Heathrow and City
Old 22 Jul 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3990244)   #2239
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder how Luton is doing? They had to cut a lot of jobs. At least other airports are working fine
Old 22 Jul 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3990245)   #2240
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder how Luton is doing? They had to cut a lot of jobs. At least other airports are working fine
Gatwick down to one terminal, Heathrow down to one runway, Hmmm, not that fine
Old 22 Jul 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3990265)   #2241
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
What are you peddling ? and by the way "next" Friday is the 24th I'll bring a spare coil
Sorry next next Friday . HRTR5 is testing his Elva sports car . We are bringing FF2000 and dare I say a clean running Atlantic car . See you on the 31st Gordon
Old 22 Jul 2020, 21:07 (Ref:3990272)   #2242
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you getting many, the flights over my house are still few and far between for Heathrow and City
The night time freight flights from East Midlands have picked up from 1 a week to 2 or 3 a night.
Old 22 Jul 2020, 22:35 (Ref:3990282)   #2243
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
The night time freight flights from East Midlands have picked up from 1 a week to 2 or 3 a night.

And the rest ....

I don't think they have ever reduced for any extended period. Indeed my impression was that they seem to have been busier then ever.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 08:25 (Ref:3990314)   #2244
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
And the rest ....

I don't think they have ever reduced for any extended period. Indeed my impression was that they seem to have been busier then ever.
In bed last night I counted 2 between 11-30 & midnight so yes you're probably right, we don't hear them, just see the lights., unlike the bl...y helicopters in the daytime, noisy things they are and so low, and I don't just mean the Police one!
Old 23 Jul 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3990328)   #2245
S griffin
Veteran

Good to hear that the East Midlands is starting to pick up. BTW I hope the helicopters don't disturb you for too much longer
Old 23 Jul 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3990332)   #2246
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
It was a bit tongue in cheek as there were about 3 or 4 all day, normally at this time of year there is 1 every 2 minutes as they usually land east to west (depending on wind direction). If I pop up the road to Chiddingstone or Hever that is a lot higher up and the planes a bit lower you can see people looking out of the planes windows
Old 23 Jul 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3990334)   #2247
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
In bed last night I counted 2 between 11-30 & midnight so yes you're probably right, we don't hear them, just see the lights., unlike the bl...y helicopters in the daytime, noisy things they are and so low, and I don't just mean the Police one!
Ah, well the DHL fleet seems to have a series of landing slots around 8pm iirc. I watched a couple of weeks ago on a nice clear evening when they were landing from the West there were 4 or 5 planes queued up with one landing every 3 minutes or so.

They all seem to depart a few hours later often in the early hours - 2 to 4 am is quite active. but there is regular activity arriving and departing during the day. UPS as well plus a few other freight carriers who may or may not be using the DHL hub or the smaller UPS facilities. DHL seems to use different registered companies even for its liveried planes.

I checked a couple of times last night on Flightradar24 - from memory around 9 -10 pm and then again around 2am to 3am - and at both times there were about 12 planes in the air either having left EMA or on their way there.

Going back a while the freight flights I sometimes checked out seemed to be mostly relatively long haul - USA, Middle East, off-shore Europe etc. Now quite a lot of the DHL movements are short hops within the UK or Eire. Belfast, Dublin, Glasgow/Edinburgh. Even Stansted and Exeter.

Of course there are still the regular flights to various parts of Europe. Leipzig seems to be a busy DHL hub quite often with 2 flights in either direction at the same time.

The smaller carriers seem to operate from and to other parts of Europe and Iceland.

UPS mainly the USA and Europe.

It has always seemed odd that the freight flights operate through the night with older and often noisier aircraft. Of course the economics of that make sense but maybe not the noise aspect.

However as might be expected, over time the planes used for freight are shifting to more recent designs and so moving towards quieter operations. I haven't noticed the Antonovs quite so often recently. Maybe the need to move large units of equipment is less in demand at the moment.

As for helicopters - the local Air Ambulance is a frequent flier. I assume the ambulance service has run out of road vehicles and only uses the chopper now!

Mr. Palmer is another regular although of course directly to the Circuit offices at the track rather than the airport.

For a little noise competition we have a Bike track day today and indeed bike events every day until Tuesday. A Thundersports race meeting this weekend.

Cars are back next Wednesday.

Last edited by grantp; 23 Jul 2020 at 10:30.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3990371)   #2248
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Lots of helicopter activity in Shoreham, and a private jet took off this morning, first time I've heard it for ages.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3990389)   #2249
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
It was a bit tongue in cheek as there were about 3 or 4 all day, normally at this time of year there is 1 every 2 minutes as they usually land east to west (depending on wind direction). If I pop up the road to Chiddingstone or Hever that is a lot higher up and the planes a bit lower you can see people looking out of the planes windows
I was looking on flight radar today and noticed the flights for Heathrow seem to just come over east London and start their approach a bit further west than where we are. When it was in full swing they would stack both north and south of us and merge into the final approaches over our house, Concorde used to be a real pain as it would shake the house at 10.30 every night.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 14:32 (Ref:3990393)   #2250
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, it can be very tedious, we get two gyro-copters and a hang glider three times a month!