Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 Jul 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1647527)   #1
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Giler/Apri/Derbi a likes!!

Dont know if anyone would know this but to me, this year all the Derbi, Gilera and Aprilia 125G bikes look identical in most areas.

Does anyone know if they are all basically the same bike and engine, or if the fairings are the same but the Derbis and Gileras have the engine they used to have a few years back in the Lorenzo/Poggiali era. I think not coz the current bike has the pipe exiting out the seat, rather than before.

I think I read somewhere that all the companies were now owned by Piaggio? Could that explaint it?
Old 4 Jul 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1647735)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Derbi and Gilera has been owned by Piaggio for some time now, even during the Poggiali/Ui days.
It's how Gilera/Derbi found the funds to enter GP racing in the first place.

Aprilia came under Piaggio's wing not that long ago IIRC.
Piaggio also owns the Moto Guzzi brand as well..

Last edited by ASCII Man; 4 Jul 2006 at 06:56.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1648206)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But Gilera and Derbi used to run the same bike to all intents and purposes didnt they? Podge used to run a Gilera and Ui used to run a Derbi.
Bike was very loosely based on an old Yamaha development engine that Bartol had laying around when aym pulled out of 125 with Ui.

Am not sure that current bikes arent just Aprilias with Derbi written down the side! There certainly dont seem to be any differences that I can spot!