Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Sep 2002, 17:33 (Ref:384934)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trans Am to CART

Does anyone think that an experienced driver can jump from Trans Am to CART? Is this a dumb question?
Old 20 Sep 2002, 17:37 (Ref:384939)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tough to say. Someone like Butch L or Boris Said I beleive have the talent, but im not sure they're in the window anymore. Ie they might struggle if given the opportunity
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:18 (Ref:384971)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Fix II did a nice job jumping from Trans Am to the LMP 675 Hotrod; he said the Trans Am car was big and heavy and the 675 was light and super responsive, so it took a bit of time to learn the new "rules" -- but he found that it could be done.

I'd think moving to a champ car would be the same kind of challenge.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:32 (Ref:384986)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt Boris could keep the wheels on the car for the length of the race, though.

Butch could do it, as could Justin, I think. On talent the Rocketsports drivers would do well (but Gentilozzi would have to bike twice as much as PT).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:52 (Ref:384999)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP675 is only as fast as an Indylights car was, its hardly an Indycar
Old 20 Sep 2002, 19:49 (Ref:385032)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the handling change is similar to the change to a champ car.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 20:24 (Ref:385056)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Pruet did it with mixed results.

While I'm not really a fan of his personally (mentions God more often than most NASCAR drivers!), I'd like to see what Butch could do in an open-wheel car. Paul's too rough, and Boris, I don't think is quite as good as he looks this year in Trans-Am.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 04:14 (Ref:385168)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If you look at the TransAm field, I'm sure that in many cases the talent is there. But openwheel is a whole different animal, so I don't know if they could just make the switch and be instantly competitive. But a year in Atlantics, just to learn the nuances of the machines, and many of those guys could fare well in CART's road-and-street calendar.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 17:23 (Ref:385432)   #9
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thoughts on the switch from TA to CART. I believe the consensus is that it may be possible for the right driver.

The cars are obviously very different. However, some of the skills remain the same.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 17:47 (Ref:385440)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, car control and quick reactions always pay off in whatever sort of race car you're driving. There are some drivers out there who have the uncanny ability to do well in whatever sort of car they drive. Others are basically one-trick ponies. It's hard to figure out who's who until you've seen them in a couple different sorts of race cars.