Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 17 May 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2204568)   #26
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both pictures below are copyright Geoff Russell and are on their way on to ORC as soon as I've identified them.

Does anyone know which is Wayne Wilson's car?

And is this the Rennmax BN6?

Thanks

Allen
Old 17 May 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2204594)   #27
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to mention that they were both taken at Eastern Creek around 2004.
Old 17 May 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2204614)   #28
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
I forgot to mention that they were both taken at Eastern Creek around 2004.
Allen...I note Bob Brincat was an operator...the Brincats could be contacted through the HSRCA.

http://www.hsrca.org.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=3
Old 17 May 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2204624)   #29
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brincat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Allen...I note Bob Brincat was an operator...the Brincats could be contacted through the HSRCA.

http://www.hsrca.org.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=3
Apologies...Rodney Brincat is currently campaigning a 1964 Cortina, he may well know something about the car...HSRCA or www.fosc.com.au.

[PS when are we going to get a reasonable amount of time to correct errors in our posts?]
Old 17 May 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2204676)   #30
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Harry Hickling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heasman BN3

Mick,

Gary Neilsen took the BN3 to the Sept 2002 Eastern Creek Rennmax Re-Union meeting. Wayne Wilson is likely to have a a full history of the car and if you are lucky will also have or know of someone who took a photo of the car there.

Re the 1972 Singapore. Two Rennmaxs ran. Bob Muir set pole and finished third in the Ken Goodwin Rennmax BN3 Ford.

Kevin Bartlett qualified 7th in the Rennmax Ford and failed to finish after a crash. He did actually run in an ex Doug Heasman car - but it is listed as a BN2. The crash was a terrible incident after a car had gone off thet track with fuel streaming across the track with a ruptured line and caught fire. Kevin arrived on the scene with mayhem breaking out and also spun out.

If Mick is correct and this is the first Rennmax with Wings then perhaps it may actually be the car originally built as a BN2 and now believed to be a BN3?

Neither Rennmax ran at the following event at KL as the Bob Muir / Ken Goodwin car had an engine miss that could not be cured and Kevin went onto drive Albert Poon's Branham BT30 and finished fourth.

(There is a great write-up of both of these events in the May 1972 Racing Car News - from which the above information has come from).

Before I purchased the Peter Williamson / Paul Bolton / Brian Power Rennmax (BN1 - the third car built) in the early 1980s - an ex Doug Heasman car was for sale, but required a big restoration job. Perhaps this is the car?

By the way the picture of the Brincat car is listed as 1976 BN7 not a BN6 but is the ex Doug Heasman car - as can be seen on the livary.

Mick, Bryan Miller and I both have Wayne Wilson's contact details. Perhaps try to send me a confidential message with your email or contact Bryan and I.

Wayne's car is a 1969 BN2.

Best of Luck

Harry Hickling

P.S. It's good to see you taking an interest in your Dad's car. Bob Britton is one of the great constructors of the 60s and 70s - a truely talented person who deserves much better recognition. If Ten Tenths had a site with every Rennmax built it would be both a big list and a fantastic thing to see!
Old 17 May 2008, 12:46 (Ref:2204684)   #31
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Rennmax BN3 - Ex Doug Heasman Car

Mick,

Gary Neilsen had the car at the Sept 2002 Eastern Creek Rennmax Re-Union meeting. Wayne Wilson will have a file on the history of the car and if you are lucky will have a photo of the car from the event. The car was listed as a BN3, the ex Doug Heasman car.

The Brincat Cat - as per the Photo is listed as a 1976 BN7 Rennmax. It is one of the ex Doug Heasman cars as per the livary.

Re the 1972 Sinagpore GP. Two Rennmaxs ran.

Bob Muir qualified first on the grid with a Rennmax BN3 and finished third. This is the Ken Goodwin car. Unfortunately it had developed an engine miss and they decided not to run in the KL GP the following weekend as planned.

Kevin Bartlett qualified 7th in the Doug Heasman BN2 but failed to finish after a crash. Perhaps no fault of his own - an earlier car had ruptured a fuel line and caught fire. There was mayhem and he arrived on the scene and spun off the circuit after hitting the fuel. It was a terrible incident. Kevin ran in Albert Poon's Brabham BT30 at KL and finished 4th.

Now if Mick is correct that this is the first Rennmax with Wings then it may have been a BN2 and subsequently regarded as a BN3? This is an interesting question to investigate.

Mick if you send Bryan Miller or I a message with your contact details we will put you in touch with Wayne Wilson - who hopefully can give you the details you need.

Best Regards

Harry Hickling

P.S. It is great to see you taking an interest in your Dad's car. Bob Britton is one of the great constructors of the 60s and 70s.
Old 17 May 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2204689)   #32
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Wayne Wilson - Photo Car No 111

I should have also said that the Red Rennmax, Car No 111 is Wayne in the 1969 Rennmax BN2.

Harry
Old 17 May 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2204705)   #33
Harry Hickling
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Williamson BN1 Rennmax

Allen,

Re Williamson Rennmax. It is the third car built and won the 1964 Warrick Farm Tourist Trophy with Peter. Paul Bolton set a two litre class record at Catalina. Brian Power I believe won the QLD F2 Championship in the car - but I have never verified that.

Anyway the reason for the note. Basically I have owned and raced the car from early 80s. Gary Simkin (Restored the car), Bob Britton and Rob Rowe have all played a big part with the car over the years. Bob refers to it as the Factory Car. Peter Williamson used to help Bob with the first three cars notching the tubes as Bob did the brazing - all in his parents back yard at Croydon. I have many early B&W photos of this era. We have all the original manifolding and pea shooter exhausts for the car - but can't use them with todays noise restrictions (What a shame). We do have on it the original 2 inch SU Alcohol Carb. The engine was new from Cosworth as a pushrod set up for the blower, and the blower new from Shorrick - all set up with tooth belt drive in 1963 / 64!

Anyway - I love the car and it is still in the Hickling ownership - and will remain that way. The Chevron B20 is now the car being used the most - but every now and then the Rennmax makes an appearance and hopefully my son will start using it one day.

All major repair work on the car has been done by Bob and during Gary's restoration Bob helped out tremendously to bring it back to it's original specifications.

Harry
Old 17 May 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2204912)   #34
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Harry

Thanks for that. You say it was the third car built - can you help me get the BN1s into order?

I have:
1. Mal Cooper's car (first recorded outing Warwick Farm 14 Oct 1962) but not seen after June 1963
2. Barry Garner's (first appears some time in 1963; known until 1972)
3. Kingsley Hibbard's (first recorded outing 8 Sep 1963; known until until present day)
4. Peter Williamson's (first recorded outing 16 Feb 1964; known until early 1970s)
5. AJ 'Tony' Reynolds (first recorded outing 7 Jun 1964; known until 1968)
6. Laurie Ellis (not sure when it first appears; known until 1970)
7. Warren Small (not sure of anything!)

Was Cooper's the first BN1? If you car was the third, does that mean Garner or Hibbard bought Cooper's car second-hand?

I'd be very interested in pictures of the BN1s early in their lives.

Allen
Old 18 May 2008, 00:58 (Ref:2205088)   #35
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen a lot of the answers you seem to be searching for are already on your own site.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2207960)   #36
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Wayne Wilson's Rennmax ,

1st owner and for whom car was built was Gordon Crawford , and I have copy of Rennmax invoice , paid 20-7-69 , described as [ 1 only Brabham type racing car [ rolling chassis] comprising ], my words , basically everything less engine .

By 1978 with a Russell Green , thence to Alan Tucker , I believe in partnership with Reg. Darwell then to Bruce Kennedy 14-9-93 then to Wayne Wilson 3-6-96 and retained.

Interestingly this car carries frame no BF151.

A CAMS logbook [ period] was issued with the car called a Brabham BT23C , this car is the same chassis spec. as a lot of the other cars for Heasman / Muir/ Goodwin. except this car has always had a pushrod Ford 1600cc.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2207965)   #37
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Geoff Anderson car , paperwork from Bob Britton advises built to the order of and delivered to Geoff Anderson 28th June 1969 and completed by Anderson with a Ford Twin-cam 1600cc and 1st raced Tasman rd. 5 Feb 1970 , subsequently car to Ross Switzer of QLD. circa 1972 thence via David Goode [ as agent] to Paul Raper , thence to John Allison in Nov 1983 .

No frame no recorded , however this and the previous car in old logbook [ non historic ] called out as BN2's.

Bryan.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:26 (Ref:2207966)   #38
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Tasman rd. 5 , should also say Surfers Paradise.
Old 21 May 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2207969)   #39
Bryan Miller
Veteran

The Anderson car above will be the car owned by Chad Wheeler of QLD.

There is another car undergoing restoration which is of the same series , however this one used mainly in club events and hillclimbs and fitted with an Alfa Twin-cam.
Can't remember the current owners name at the moment , however I think he purchased from original owner of about 30 years.

Bryan.
Old 21 May 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2208395)   #40
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Bryan

Thanks very much for all the BN3 info. I couldn't find any mention of Anderson in the Surfers Paradise results (I have these) but I don't have the entry list so he may have been a DNS. Or maybe there was a ANF2 support race.

The BN1s are also progressing nicely. Any idea which car Grant Patullo now has?

Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Miller
Allen a lot of the answers you seem to be searching for are already on your own site.
Err, what in particular? I can be impressively dense sometimes but what is it that I don't know I know?
Old 29 May 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2214420)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Time to add this to the Chassis History Archive, I think.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2227806)   #42
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1978/79 !!f2 Renmax,now the mind is ticking,a group of 'Villians' (meant in the nice way,(rephrased)'Party People'/Glasshouse Hotel !!)by name Harry Witham,Laurie Davies,Another princapal person...( Whom I believe now owns/ed a Golf Driving Range on Warrigal rd.,Moorabin )..all worked for a auto transmision supplies company, that I believe was situated on Hoodle st/ Johnson St area,suplied me with a Renmax for the 24hr 'Paint Scheme'to race in new colours at either Sandown or Calder Park !!??...so you say ..how can you be 'so' sure if you cant remember the details.....WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I've still got the Renmax badge of the nose.....a little brass number,the real thing and yes I could be encouraged to part with it to the right ( Now! )owner of that car...which ever one it was proved to be...the Rob Hands name sort of fits the period,Im sure they all ran together,but when you've been around all these years we rely on the Ray Bells,the Bryan Millers, the Allen Browns to Guide us through the 'Fog'...the badge presently resides with an 'original' Elfin nose badge that I must have aquired much the same way...another24hr paint or repair job....sort don't rember getting payed real money for any of that work...it was "well catch up at the Glass House Hotel", and after two or three hours of that who could remember h, h,'how much' !!!!
Old 19 Jun 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2232319)   #43
Racetek
Rookie

Racetek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ellis Rennmax BN1

Hi everyone

I am relatively new to this forum, so I thought I would contribute some information which might fill a hole in the BN1 history.
I currently own what I believe to be the second BN1 car built by Bob Britton, the car you list as being the "Ellis" car. Here is the information I have collected so far.

1962 - Built by Bob Britton for Geoff McClelland as a rolling chassis, which was never completed by Geoff McClelland.
1963 - L Ellis purchased the car in partnership with Des Gay and proceeded to finish the car (powered by a 1500cc ford). First raced at Warwick Farm in 1965. It was entered and raced as a Lotus 22.
1968 - Car was sold to Brendan Tapp in Tasmania for $2500, who fitted a 1600 twin cam and competed in the Gold Star in Tasmania. He always believed it was a Lotus and it was entered as such. He traded the car to Bill Reynolds (Wren Racing Cars) for a new Wren.
1970 F Houston purchased the car from Wren as a Lotus and after one race meeting he sold the car.
1971 Colin Fulton also purchased the car as a Lotus and sold the car to his friend Gunter Tippman.
1974 Jim Shepherd purchased the car, again as a Lotus and started to restore it back to Lotus 20 specs. He discovered that the car was NOT a Lotus and decided to sell the car.
1979 Purchased by Mike Ferrari in partnership with Bruce Gladstone with the intention of completing the restoration, but eventually sold it to Les Sergeant.

1982 Purchased by Les Sergeant. (car never finished)
1984 Purchased by Anthony Taska (car never finished)
1986 Purchased by Graeme Clark (car never finished)
1988 Purchased by Ross Hodge, who also planned to restore the car but never got around to it.

Now 20 years later, I have purchased the car from Ross and plan to restore it to its former glory

I have letters from each of the listed owners verifying that they owned the car, who they purchased it from , and to whom they sold it. I am now researching the few races that it actually competed in.

I hope this information is useful, and I would certainly look forward to any feedback you might have. I will keep you informed of its progress and any other details I come across.

David Doubtfire
Old 19 Jun 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2232981)   #44
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi David

Sorry I didn't respond to your email so I'm glad you've posted the info here. I have been buried in other things recently.

Allen
Old 21 Jun 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2234196)   #45
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the Rorstan-Porsche appeared in early 1971 it was described as being a new car built by Britton incorporating parts from the Rorstan-Climax. I wonder if that means it had a new frame (in which case where is the old one?) or merely that Britton had modified the old one to take the new engine.
Any way of finding out?
The car was, incidentally, entered in its second (and final) season as the Stanton-Porsche
Old 27 Jun 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2238646)   #46
piglos
Rookie

piglos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As luck would have it, somebody sent me a copy of an article from Classic Driver #12 on the late Bryan Faloon.

It says in reference to the Stanton-Porsche:

Feo Stanton could not afford a new F5000 car, so, while Bryan Faloon continued to look around for the best option, for the 1970/71 season a new chassis was ordered from Bob Britton in Sydney.
This was basically a refinement; smaller, lighter and more compact than the Brabham and into it went a 2.0 litre air-cooled Porsche sports car engine.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2239259)   #47
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that
I haven't seen the article, but it seems to confuse more than clarify
The replacement for the Brabham was the earlier Rorstan-Climax (smaller, lighter and more compact than the Brabham)
The 1970/71 Rortsan-Porsche was the replacement for the Rorstan-Climax, so the question of whether it was different (smaller, lighter and more compact) than the car it replaced remains unanswered
Old 7 Jul 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2246385)   #48
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder road
1978/79 !!f2 Renmax,now the mind is ticking,a group of 'Villians' (meant in the nice way,(rephrased)'Party People'/Glasshouse Hotel !!)by name Harry Witham,Laurie Davies,Another princapal person...( Whom I believe now owns/ed a Golf Driving Range on Warrigal rd.,Moorabin )..all worked for a auto transmision supplies company, that I believe was situated on Hoodle st/ Johnson St area,suplied me with a Renmax for the 24hr 'Paint Scheme'to race in new colours at either Sandown or Calder Park !!??...so you say ..how can you be 'so' sure if you cant remember the details.....WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I've still got the Renmax badge of the nose.....a little brass number,the real thing and yes I could be encouraged to part with it to the right ( Now! )owner of that car...which ever one it was proved to be...the Rob Hands name sort of fits the period,Im sure they all ran together,but when you've been around all these years we rely on the Ray Bells,the Bryan Millers, the Allen Browns to Guide us through the 'Fog'...the badge presently resides with an 'original' Elfin nose badge that I must have aquired much the same way...another24hr paint or repair job....sort don't rember getting payed real money for any of that work...it was "well catch up at the Glass House Hotel", and after two or three hours of that who could remember h, h,'how much' !!!!
I've had a 'senor moment'Ron Trim was the principal of the 'transmission ' company,time blurr's his ownership or just that he was responsible in getting me to perform the 24hr colour change
Old 3 Jan 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2607496)   #49
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for sale

A link:
http://cars2.ebay.com.au/Rennmax-BN1...mZ300381791779
Old 30 Jan 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2622535)   #50
piglos
Rookie

piglos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetek View Post
Hi everyone

I currently own what I believe to be the second BN1 car built by Bob Britton, the car you list as being the "Ellis" car. Here is the information I have collected so far.

1962 - Built by Bob Britton for Geoff McClelland as a rolling chassis, which was never completed by Geoff McClelland.
1963 - L Ellis purchased the car in partnership with Des Gay and proceeded to finish the car (powered by a 1500cc ford). First raced at Warwick Farm in 1965. It was entered and raced as a Lotus 22.
1968 - Car was sold to Brendan Tapp in Tasmania for $2500, who fitted a 1600 twin cam and competed in the Gold Star in Tasmania. He always believed it was a Lotus and it was entered as such. He traded the car to Bill Reynolds (Wren Racing Cars) for a new Wren.
David Doubtfire
There was no Gold Star round in Tasmania in 1968, and by the 1969 round he was in the Wren.