Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Jan 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1498085)   #1
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uncle Toms back big time...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/48895

Quote:
Former Arrows boss Tom Walkinshaw is planning a return to the European motorsport scene this season.

The Scotsman, who has been out of the racing limelight in the UK since his Arrows team and TWR company collapsed after the 2002 season, has spent most of his time since then focusing on his rugby interests, as owner of Gloucester Rugby Club.

His recent motor racing activities have revolved around Holden Motorsport in the Australian V8 Supercar series.

But at the Autosport International show this Thursday, Walkinshaw will reveal the plans for his recently launched Tom Walkinshaw Group (TWG), which will include a racing project and an involvement in the road-going automotive sector.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1498141)   #2
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if all his creditors got paid?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1498178)   #3
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If this is true, Welcome Back, Tom!
Old 10 Jan 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1498301)   #4
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
Yeah, I often wonder how bankruptcy laws work. Forgive my ignorance but I thought that if you were declared bankrupt you could do stuff like this til all the debts were repaid or something like that.

Wouldn't he had to have sold off his assets in order to meet debt?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 04:47 (Ref:1498327)   #5
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was he ever declared bankrupt?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 05:10 (Ref:1498331)   #6
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Was he ever declared bankrupt?
I honeslty dont know why you guys go on about TW and his bankruptcy debts. Im sure GTR would shed some fincancial light on this, but on a personal note, Ive worked for and know of 3 companies that have closed and files bankruptcy on the Friday owing sometimes hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions, only to reopen on monday with the same GM but just a different company name.

I do agree with you...................Its no right....its fuxing bad business, but i doubt wheather many creditors get payed out.

Seems he may have got away with it just like the others?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1498349)   #7
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont know bout business, but personal bankruptcy, u only had to be declared for something like 5 years, then it was wiped, brand new start...
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1498420)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fan of Tom & this schizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt H
i dont know bout business, but personal bankruptcy, u only had to be declared for something like 5 years, then it was wiped, brand new start...
Why do you rush into print, acknowledging you dont know, then go on to demonstrate it *!!

*'It' being your acknowledged lack of knowledge of business, then you demonstrate ignorance of personal bankruptcy.

Is there anything you can add about the difference in Aussie law versus UK law ?
Can we expect the proven level of ignorance?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1498423)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gee cavvy. having a bad day are we?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1498449)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let Mr Walkinshaw do as he pleases... he will anyway....

I think his reputation now precedes him, so any future creditors have been forewarned...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jan 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1498466)   #11
cavvy
Veteran

yep, a bad day

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
gee cavvy. having a bad day are we?
Fair comment peckstar - sorry I sounded off but I spent a few years in an insolvency practice & a little knowledge is dangerous, no knowledge is ...

I have read much on the TWR disaster & continue to respect Tom Walkinshaw for his achievements in motor racing both as a driver & as an engineer, & unless you know the detail of the TWR issue, I suggest Tom should be judged on that criteria.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1498483)   #12
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having placed a $5M a year business into administration and walked away to start again, I have a slight knowledge of things that some on here speculate about.

Administration, liquidation and bankruptcy are things that most people don't know, or want to know about. I have close and personal knowledge of administration and liquidation - but not of the other.

I have no great knowledge of Tom Walkinshaw's personal financial matters. I do know about mine. These things can occur through no personal deficiencies or deficiencies of any other kind. Unless you know the exact details of Tom Walkinshaw's financial dealings, I'd suggest that people leave the scuttlebutt alone.

He may well be above criticism for his business ethics, he may not. Unless you know what motivated TW to make certain decisions, my suggestion is that you don't waffle about what you don't know.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1498520)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we are going to go to the war stories....

... I spent two years in a business that was dead. Literally dead, didnt have the support of its owner, ate cash like it was free... had a GM who could generate sales but didnt quite have a handle on making them profitable, or reliable, or with good quality.

A friend of mine came into the business as Operations Manager. Put all sorts of practices and procedures into place, to improve consistency of product, improve quality, cut steps out of the cycle to make the end items cheaper, yet at the same standard of performance.

He dragged me over there... not unwillingly.. but it was no mean task... to sell anything we didnt need today or tomorrow... to rent out part of our building at significant inconvenience to help keep the lights on... buying anything we needed second hand, or borrowed... in step with keeping the wolves from the door...

We restuctured, twice... hardest thing I have ever done, to remove 6 people out of a workforce of 34 from a business that was as much a family as it was a place of work, with most employees having been there 10 years+.

How do you ruin 6 families' lives? It is not an easy thing to do, but it is a comfort on some level that to sacrifice 6 people for the good of another 28 is a better thing than to lose all 34....

Imagine the morale at losing these people from the business... the resentment from the others' at the choices made... made especially worse in the light of the business' ultimate conclusion...

Everything we did, was for the purpose of stopping the cash burn... for getting the customer his product as cheaply as we could make it... at the quality they wanted.

We improved customer service, we got more sales, we got rid of some product lines that made no contribution... we got very multiskilled... running lines, mixing systems, playing delivery boy... anything for the team...

Two years of stress and heartache... mega hours... mega work... we thought we were improving all the time... we brought the cashflow into line... to breakeven... we counted our pennies with everything we did... while still having fun....

I dont think I have been to so many auctions of other dead businesses, hoping to scrounge some inputs to our own process... I counted over 40 in a 2 year period...

But the lords and masters grew impatient... they figured that the business was much better than we had been telling them... they wanted success now, no excuses!

They found a scapegoat... well 3 to be exact, as they took the management team out of the business... thought they were the clever ones... until they stepped in personally ... and had the business in administration by their creditors inside 4 months....

All 25 remaining people were out on the street, with no entitlements, and not much chance of seeing them...

We were all blown away... 2 years' effort in the toilet, an education you couldnt replicate in any university textbook.... while I am still owed a small fortune...

The moral of the story... we came, we tried, we did ok, we got reamed.... at least we didnt have any equity in it....
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1498708)   #14
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is common practice in the UK. Company goes bust, owner resurrects it under a different name two weeks later. There's a team formerly of the BTCC who now compete in the WTCC and they used to do this every winter. They couldn't afford to pay off the debts, so they shut down, before registering again at Companies House a short while later. Now they go under the guise of a team based in Asia, when they're still in the UK.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1498773)   #15
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is that Craner?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1498836)   #16
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
If we are going to go to the war stories....

The moral of the story... we came, we tried, we did ok, we got reamed.... at least we didnt have any equity in it....
GTR, a modern tragedy well told but please advise what this has to do with the Tom Walkinshaw issue?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1499088)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
That from the outside, all looks hunky dorey... but when you dig a little deeper... all is not what it appears.

That goes for TWR, or the nightmare that kept me in Eno and QuickEze for 2 years...
Old 11 Jan 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1499093)   #18
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any Tom can say they have big plans but honestly..... like Big Tom and Mr Crennan and their Monaro series, where has that gone?
Old 12 Jan 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1499753)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
TWG signs with Mitsubishi.... Here

More about TWG Here
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1499796)   #20
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone get GTRMagic a towel, he is drooling at the thought of this link being used to bring Mitsubishi into V8SC....
Old 12 Jan 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1500177)   #21
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow Evo IX's that's huge news their like what 10 years old?
Old 12 Jan 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1500191)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That article reads like its 4 years old... Evo IX's... Mistu' axing its WRC program... parting with Chrysler.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 01:58 (Ref:1500301)   #23
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
Old 13 Jan 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1500455)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So while Mr Walkinshaw is playing with Mitsubishis at one end of town... hoe second new venture is Here
Old 15 Jan 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1501638)   #25
maloo260
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
maloo260 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't it TWR who went broke and the new company is TWG. That is how you get around bankruptcy it is the company not the individual who goes bankrupt so therefore you start a new company and move on thats why HSV wasn't involved they were owned buy a seperate company to the race teams