Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1543787)   #1
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 10 years ago...

...I remember I did a thread about 1995 last year and thought I would do one for 1996

Hill got the title and created history. I remember everyone thought it would be comfortably but jacques fought and fought. Even though he won the title the next year, this was by far Villeneuve's most impressive season in F1. No one thought he could cause the danger he did.

We had races great races at Monaco, Brazil, Italy & Portugal.

This was a good year
Old 11 Mar 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1543790)   #2
F1 insider
Rookie

F1 insider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
Even though he won the title the next year, this was by far Villeneuve's most impressive season in F1.
I believe, as do many people in F1 circles, that 1998 was actually the year Jacques peaked.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1543824)   #3
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved 1996. It was a great year in F1 IMO.

I personally believe, Jacques' best driving year was 2000.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1543868)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Villeneuve and Frentzen were evenly-matched for much of 1998 - it was only the days when the Williams was more competitive which saw Jacuqes as the faster of the two.

1996 was a pretty good season, full of dramas, and an unusual race winner at Monaco, even if Williams otherwise dominated aside from a few moments of Michael Schumacher brilliance.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1543898)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The things that stick out about 1996 are:

1) Schumacher at Barcelona.
2) Hill clinching the title (very moving moment).
3) The Monaco farce.

Marvellous year.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1543916)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1996 was super. I think Hill winning was the sparkling moment.
It is amazing that even though Williams were so far ahead of the rest the season was still so enjoyable
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1543922)   #7
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 insider
I believe, as do many people in F1 circles, that 1998 was actually the year Jacques peaked.
1998?! Jacques had 2 3rd has his best results and came 6th. Although the Williams was pretty terrible that year for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
I loved 1996. It was a great year in F1 IMO.

I personally believe, Jacques' best driving year was 2000.

Jacques came 4 4th has his best results and came 7th. But I do remember him regularly being a front-runner.

I still view 1996 has his best year just cos of his things he did. There have been very few new-comers who have had a title challenge in there 1st year and Jacques was confident and had the car. How things sadly change

Other moments:

Brundle's crash, Belgium GP when McLaren's led 1 & 2 and the tyres at Italy.

Keep discussing folks!
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1543925)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jacques was fabulous in 1998, I agree. Great to watch.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1543934)   #9
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Shame what happened to Jaques.. if he did not persue money and craig pillocks dream, he could have do some good things with the BMW williams had he still remained there
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1543978)   #10
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't personally feel 96 was that great a year, too much domination by 1 team (even though both drivers were racing each other hard), and all the other major teams in a transistional phase. I much prefer the years either side, Schumachers brilliance in 95, with the odd fireworks from Alesi thrown in for good measure, or the open dogfight of 97 between Villeneuve and Schuey, with Mclaren and Benneton popping on to the top step every now and then, and Jordan and Prost giving the big teams the occasional scare as well.
that said 96 had some good races, Nurburgring with Villeneuves first win, Spain, Belgium, Estoril, and the emotional finale at Suzuka, plus some bizarre events, Monaco as mentioned above, and Monza with the tire markers at the chicanes catching nearly everyone out.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1543982)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I do not believe that 1996 was a classic year on account of the dominance of Williams. Having said that, the fact that Hill and Villeneuve were able to race one another unlike with the recent dominance of Ferrari was a good thing. There were also a number of memorable races, such as Japan, Monaco, Spain and Australia as well as Villeneuves overtaking move on Schumacher in Portugal.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1543987)   #12
pD F1
Racer

pD F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was pleased for Hill winning the Championship and the race. Schumacher was excellent, particularly in the wet at Barcelona, but also in his win at Spa after suffering a heavy crash at 'the corner with no name' after Rivage, I think. Villeneuve was also fantastic that year and who can forget his first race at Melbourne where he was on pole and on course to win?

Hill thoroughly deserved his title though and it was good to see him win the race as well as the championship in the final round.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1544053)   #13
ahlich
Rookie

ahlich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1996 is actually a year about which i have double feelings. For one the unbelievable Schumacher performance under the pouring rain in Barcelona in one of the most impressive driving performances i've seen in F1 racing. On the other hand the title being taken by an average driver... Actually, i think the titles holders for 96 and 97 came as a consequence of the premature disappearance of Ayrton Senna at a moment in which Williams dominated the circus. Jacques has the spark of Gilles but he is not quite his father...
Old 12 Mar 2006, 07:03 (Ref:1544169)   #14
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Rich R]I don't personally feel 96 was that great a year, too much domination by 1 team (even though both drivers were racing each other hard)QUOTE]
Yeah true but better than seeing the 'Ferrari spectacle' in recent years...
I didn't see much of 1996, 1997 was when I saw my first full season. But from the yearbook I have of 1996, the cars looked ugly! Except for the Williams, which seemed to have the driver head protector idea down from day one. The McLaren was ok, but the rest looked dreadful!
I also think it appeard to be JV's best year. Glad that Damon finally did it though.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1544178)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlich
Actually, i think the titles holders for 96 and 97 came as a consequence of the premature disappearance of Ayrton Senna at a moment in which Williams dominated the circus. ...

The same might also be said of 1994 and 1995 too, but we will never know.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1544998)   #16
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1996 was my first year watching F1.. I was a huge Hill fan. Brilliant year
Old 12 Mar 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1545055)   #17
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
The same might also be said of 1994 and 1995 too, but we will never know.
Well, Senna and Williams were kind of struggling before his death but if Senna had stayed on at Williams in 96 or 97 in suppose he could have Schumacher like numbers.

Was Senna planning retirement at any stage?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1545074)   #18
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a time when I had stepped out of watching f1, and now I'm ashamed
Old 12 Mar 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1545295)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me 1996 was an ideal year with Jacques and Damon in the same team and being superior. It also had great races like Portugal, Spain, Monaco or Australia..

Personally, I think Jacques drove best in 2000. He kept putting that BAR where it didn't belong. Often running with less downforce so that he would not be passed in the straights.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1545301)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
Well, Senna and Williams were kind of struggling before his death but if Senna had stayed on at Williams in 96 or 97 in suppose he could have Schumacher like numbers.
Apparently it was Senna's dream to drive a Ferrari and rebuld the Scuderia..so you never know what he'd have done.
But this is OT so...
Old 12 Mar 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1545312)   #21
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Apparently it was Senna's dream to drive a Ferrari and rebuld the Scuderia..so you never know what he'd have done.
But this is OT so...
If that's true then maybe Schumacher would never have been at Ferrari, I know Michael's idol was Ayrton, maybe he was living his dream...

I feel weird now...

But I'm probably going way too off road and over-analysing
Old 12 Mar 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1545315)   #22
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In 1996, 2 drivers who were racing an Andrian Newey designed car made the whole world beleive they were astonishing drivers even though they were never impressive in minor Formulas.

I remember Schumacher winning in Spain, in the rain, (where were the Williams drivers during that race ??) with an undriveable Ferrari. that's my best memory of 1996.

P.S.: Read my signature.....
Old 12 Mar 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1545505)   #23
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
In 1996, 2 drivers who were racing an Andrian Newey designed car made the whole world beleive they were astonishing drivers even though they were never impressive in minor Formulas.

I remember Schumacher winning in Spain, in the rain, (where were the Williams drivers during that race ??) with an undriveable Ferrari. that's my best memory of 1996.

P.S.: Read my signature.....
The 1996 was one of the most dominant cars in the 1990's. Maybe only the 1992 Williams car was more dominant but in 1996, both cars had a chance of winning although that probably says more about the drivers
Old 12 Mar 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1545519)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1996 was always my favourite year for some reason.....not any more, but another story.

Disagree about it being JV's best year, would say '98 imo.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1547890)   #25
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well at least we all agree that 1997 was not JV's best year...how many races did he get delivered to him on a plate...mind you, I was wrapped that he won, because that mean't Schumacher didn't win and I thoroughly enjoy the grand prix when Schumacher doesn't win... Which is why Bahrain was great, Renault are hardly the ideal winners in my view but they beat Ferrari!