Old 12 Mar 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1545028)   #26
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
One failure of any sort doesn't mean a team isn't professional.
Agreed. But here it's one failure of sort per race...
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1545094)   #27
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday I thought that McLaren had built a chassis to match their engine . I don't know where Montoya was today but they didn't look too shabby today.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1545103)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FORD V8 DFV

Which was made in Northampton (or was it Norfolk?)
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1545113)   #29
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ-Turner
Yesterday I thought that McLaren had built a chassis to match their engine . I don't know where Montoya was today but they didn't look too shabby today.
McLaren looks very good, certainly good enough to challenge for both titles this year. If Kimi had a proper quali, I guess he could probably claim the win. So, McLaren, Renault, Ferrari: GOOD STUFF. We're going to have a great season!!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1545121)   #30
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FORD V8 DFV

Old 12 Mar 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1545223)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
FORD V8 DFV

Yes I thought that the Ford V8 DFV was in fact built in England by Cosworth? or am I dreaming?
Old 12 Mar 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1545237)   #32
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The frightening thing is if Kimi wouldve qualified well he culdve finished the best part of 20 secs ahead of Alonso and co.
I just hope this isnt the case and we get a very competitive championship
Old 12 Mar 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1545246)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001
Nismo, there was a season in fact many, in F1 in the 60s, where the entire field was powered by Ford's DFV, why? Beacuse it was better than anything the British/German/Italians could come up with.
Not true.

There has been no one season in the world championship where every car on the grid was powered by the British designed and built Ford Cosworth DFV.

There was one race in (IIRC) 1981 where all the cars were Ford Cosworth DFV powered.

You forget Ferrari, Matra, Brabham Repco, etc.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1547874)   #34
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Not true.

There has been no one season in the world championship where every car on the grid was powered by the British designed and built Ford Cosworth DFV.

There was one race in (IIRC) 1981 where all the cars were Ford Cosworth DFV powered.

You forget Ferrari, Matra, Brabham Repco, etc.
Ok well referring to the brief look I had at some of the championship results of the 60s, there were a few seasons were Ford powered teams filled 5 out of the top 6 places in some of the championships at the time.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1548140)   #35
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree they will be the biggest threat out there but we have to wait and see how much sand those v8's filled up with on Sunday. Personally I'm predicting it's going to be grenade o'clock!
Old 14 Mar 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1548149)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We predicted that last year though.

In the end, the only thing that broke in the next race, at Imola, was Fisi's rear suspension and a Kimi induced driveshaft failure as far as I can recall.

Although Alonso's engine was damaged.

This being a totally new engine era, though, things may be different.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1548220)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
For sure though,Malaysia will show who has done their homework as regards reliability.Fisi,DC and JV get new engines,plus the retirees from Midland etc.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1548291)   #38
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Would McLaren not change Montoya's engine now knowing that it has a problem?
Old 14 Mar 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1548300)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Well,the chances of at least one Mclaren engine lunching itself are going to be pretty high anyway.Why tempt fate.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1548904)   #40
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I posted this in the other thread but felt it relevant here also...why not change Kimi's motor if he can come from the back to third?

The McLaren Reliability has been pretty dismal. It doesn't help however that ferrari during that same period has seemed to go totally opposite. They weren't the outright fastest at a few events in 2003 but I do believe the no mechanical retirement stretch for Schumacher exceeded two full seasons.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1548916)   #41
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733
I posted this in the other thread but felt it relevant here also...why not change Kimi's motor if he can come from the back to third?
Because third is not good enough