Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1099311)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will GM buy Cosworth?

Now that Ford is selling Cosworth, do you think there's a chance GM might buy it?

GrandPrix.com seems to think there's a possibility of that - article available here:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13518.html

In any case, I think we have just seen the very beginning of what is a very large, ugly mess...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1099314)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would this be good or bad for the IRL, or for CART? GM doesn't seem to be on particularly good financial footing, and it would be a big commitment to racing from them?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1099338)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it would spell the end of the IRL Chevrolet engine if GM (edit: well, rather if SOMEONE) doesn't buy Cosworth, since I just don't see Chevrolet going back to developing the engine on their own again.

As for Champ Car, I think the situation will remain the same as long as Cosworth is kept alive - even if GM was to buy it. I mean, Cosworth does make money off the deal with OWRS, no? And I'm sure GM wouldn't mind an extra influx of cash (rather than terminating the deal with OWRS)...

Last edited by rustyfan; 17 Sep 2004 at 13:48.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1099347)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
As for Champ Car, I think the situation will remain the same as long as Cosworth is kept alive - even if GM was to buy it. I mean, Cosworth does make money off the deal with OWRS, no? And I'm sure GM wouldn't mind an extra influx of cash (rather than terminating the deal with OWRS)...
I suppose this is completely dependent on the buyers goals with the purchase. If they buy the company as a business, then likely both the IRL and OWRS engines are safe. If the buy Cossie as a marketing means, then both engines future are questionable (again depending on the buyer).
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1099351)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I totally agree, Fogelhund....

The buyer will be the key to this...and their goals...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1099354)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
I suppose this is completely dependent on the buyers goals with the purchase. If they buy the company as a business, then likely both the IRL and OWRS engines are safe. If the buy Cossie as a marketing means, then both engines future are questionable (again depending on the buyer).
Agreed.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1099378)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In any case IRL engines seem to be more in danger because they demand strong investments to keep up with a strong competition, whereas in OWRS, there being only cossies, the situation can be frozen.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1099388)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a bit short-sighted Climb. The current spec engine deal for CART will probably only run for another season before a new formula is introduced. Also, any company buying Cosworth may have to renegotiate the "powered by Ford" part of the series title.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1099453)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Tony George make a play for Cosworth?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1099563)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Would Tony George make a play for Cosworth?

I have no idea....

But if the price was right....

hmmmmm....

That would alter the state of auto racing dramatically....

Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1099571)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
And turning it around - would the Three Amigos be interested in making a move on Cosworth?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1099582)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
And turning it around - would the Three Amigos be interested in making a move on Cosworth?
I believe it would be wise for them to do so....

As for my previous post, I would hope that Tony George does NOT make a play for Cosworth....

Old 17 Sep 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1099595)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I believe it would be wise for them to do so....

As for my previous post, I would hope that Tony George does NOT make a play for Cosworth....
If they do I would guess it would definitely mean the end of the Chevrolet IndyCar engine. I mean, what makes the Three Amigos so much more 'noble' that they wouldn't make sure to shut down the Chevrolet engine program the instant they gain control of the company?

Nah, the best option as I see it would be if an independent buyer came in and bought Cosworth, as both the Champ Car and IndyCar programmes would most likely remain untouched that way.

If TG or TTA would buy Cosworth I reckon it would just create another realm of problems and dirt-throwing (something I am so sick and tired of)...

Just my personal opinion of course.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1099602)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would rather see an independent buyer, too, rustyfan....

But OWRS would have a lot more to lose than the IRL if an independent buyer doesn't have turbos in their plans....it is their only source of power...

Even though they own the engines, there is still the issue of parts and servicing by skilled technicians...

Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1099789)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think it would spell the end of the IRL Chevrolet engine if GM (edit: well, rather if SOMEONE) doesn't buy Cosworth, since I just don't see Chevrolet going back to developing the engine on their own again.
I don't see it that way rusty.

I think GM will do whatever it has to, to stay in this series. They do have a long history with IndyCars, and they are a fixture at all of the races. They supply all of the support, and emergency vehicles, VIP cars, and most importantly the pace cars. There are no Honda's or Toyotas to be seen. Thats a pretty big benefit and gives good exposure for racing here.

And its not like the engine is that far off the pace. 5-10 HP, and a couple of MPH slower, and from what I hear, they know what the problem is, the heads, but they didn't get the fix ready for the 3.0 eng. in time.

Chances are greater IMO, that Chevy will pull out of the very big buck NASCAR series before they do here. Don't laugh. They are complaining more about the aero identical cars in that series, because a Chevy looks like a Ford, which looks like a Dodge, etc..
Old 18 Sep 2004, 02:40 (Ref:1099882)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, not only is Cosworth up for sale, but Jaguar/Ford is pulling the plug on its F1 team! Now we know why Ford is selling its Cosworth division. They are divesting themselves of almost there whole racing operation! What a shock this is!

This is grim news indeed, even if your not an F1 fan. The costs associated with all of the major open wheel series is now so out of control, that one of the biggest auto manufacturers can no longer afford to compete. How long will it be before others start looking at their programs? And who will be able to race if a company like Ford cannot afford to?

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Sep 2004, 06:03 (Ref:1099925)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cosworth would probably be better off in the hands of a company like Prodrive, rather than a auto manufacturer. Kind of like a one stop shop for racing engines that would sell to anyone.

I don't know what the point of GM buying cosworth would be. When you look at their current racing programs worldwide, I don't think the cost(cosworth is a big company)/benefit ratio would add up. Unless they wanted quick access to joining F1.

As far as the IRL engines go, it would be cheaper just to buy the "rights" to the design and have someone else manufacturer parts and service the engines. That may even end up cheaper than what they pay cosworth.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1100016)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Chances are greater IMO, that Chevy will pull out of the very big buck NASCAR series before they do here. Don't laugh. They are complaining more about the aero identical cars in that series, because a Chevy looks like a Ford, which looks like a Dodge, etc..
I see that as very unlikely considering the return and exposure they from on their NASCAR programme despite the cars becoming more and more similar due to the common templates.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1100038)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Seems GM isn't too concerned at the moment, nor thinking about buying Cosworth. At least according to this article;

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/12976/
Old 19 Sep 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1101018)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GM Spokesman Rick Vogelin:

"General Motors has had a business relationship with Cosworth for more than 30 years, and during this period Cosworth has been owned by a number of entities.

“GM Racing currently has a technology partnership with Cosworth Racing focused on the continuous development of the Chevy Indy V8 racing engine.”

Vogelin also said GM is not considering a purchase of Cosworth at this time.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1101139)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why can't cosworth buy itself?
they were bought up by ford, so why can't the top fellows there make a play and buy it them selves- or some one please...
by the way should all the "who will but cossie?" threads be merged?
Old 19 Sep 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1101257)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Merging the threads...
The thought crossed my mind, but IRL and CC are two independant forums, and to merge the threads would mean putting it onto one board or the other, not both.