Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed for ChampCar

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=134716

Quote:
At Scuderia Toro Rosso Doornbos could take Scott Speed's position and join Liuzzi again. The duo was team-mates in 2004 when they raced at Arden in the F3000 championship. Red Bull is currently involved with Doornbos' position. "Red Bull Racing is involved with a possible contract at Toro Rosso. We hope to have Robert's future clear before the end of the month."
if the he gets the seat at STR could we see Speed in a ChampCar?i would think so.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1759494)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup.

I have said this before I know. But for those that don't. Scott did say when he is done with F1, Champ Car is what he'd love to race in. So your guess, is as good as mine.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1759511)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
yes and i think he would be good in ChampCar,F1 is a business of money and the drive is going to go to the better funded driver and obviously that is Dornbos in this case,so Speed in ChampCar isn't that unrealistic.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1759518)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Scott did say when he is done with F1, Champ Car is what he'd love to race in.
Having heard a similar thing somewhere, I'm unsure whether one year in F1 and then being pushed out because of finance issues constitutes being 'done' with F1. Maybe it is likely that Speed will take over Doornbos's testing role at Red Bull Racing if it is felt that will prolong his F1 career. Personally, if Speed were to lose his F1 seat, I'd prefer him to go to Champ Car for I'd rather see him racing and I believe he would be a good addition to the category.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1759525)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
me to i would rather him be in ChampCar he would be great for the series to have such a talented American in the series as their is not many americans in ChampCar.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1759530)   #6
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I read somewhere Speed has no interest in IndyCar or ChampCar and is entirely focused on F1
Old 7 Nov 2006, 00:21 (Ref:1759550)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outflat
I'm sure I read somewhere Speed has no interest in IndyCar or ChampCar and is entirely focused on F1
Wasn't that Klien
Old 7 Nov 2006, 00:53 (Ref:1759561)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am sure that applies to Scott as well.

He didn't work as hard as he did to get himself in shape and prove that having colitis (or Crohn's Disease - can't remember which) would not prevent him from putting in a full season of F1 to walk away after one year. Same goes for demonstrating he had the goods to retain his seat - he did.

He may come to CC or IRL someday but not until he is well and truly finished with F1.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:27 (Ref:1759578)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

He didn't work as hard as he did to get himself in shape and prove that having colitis (or Crohn's Disease - can't remember which) would not prevent him from putting in a full season of F1 to walk away after one year. Same goes for demonstrating he had the goods to retain his seat - he did.

He may come to CC or IRL someday but not until he is well and truly finished with F1.
i agree if Doornbos gets the Speed would be good to stay on as RBR tester,as much as i would like to see him in ChampCar i wouldn't like to see him cut his F1 career.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 03:51 (Ref:1759630)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I believe he said that the treatment for colitis that he received in Austria cured the problem and he has no lasting effects from it.

If he gets pushed aside my opinion is that it is dorfboshes money that pushes speed aside not a performance problem.

RB has been looking at flicking one or 2 drivers champcars way. I think it's solid that RB is going to have something going in champcar next year. Sending Speed to champcar is perfect. We get another american driver with RB sponsorship to boot.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1759747)   #11
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doornbos is a better driver than Speed, as well as better backed, in many people's opinion
Old 7 Nov 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1759820)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Doornbos is a better funded driver havn't seen much of him race so can't say he is a better driver but STR are going to go for the better funded driver and that is Doornbos.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1759945)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be great to have Speed in Champcar, as for how good Doornbos is compared to Speed I really dont think there is much of a differnce.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1759983)   #14
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's be honest...do we want Speed in Champcar just because we want more Americans? Or do we want him because we think he can perform well? IMO, i don't think he will be a top runner in champcar..
Old 7 Nov 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1759991)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'd be both I think...
Old 7 Nov 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1760183)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg727
Let's be honest...do we want Speed in Champcar just because we want more Americans? Or do we want him because we think he can perform well? IMO, i don't think he will be a top runner in champcar..
one way to find out.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1760230)   #17
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess so mountainstar..maybe he can prove me wrong.

BTW, anyone like my new avatar? I loved this color scheme on Christian Fittipaldi's car...i'll keep this one for a while
Old 7 Nov 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1760287)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doornbos did well at Minardi in 2005 and looked okay in a disinterested Red Bull team at the end of the last F1 season, and has a strong record in junior championships, especially considering he didn't start racing of any kind until his late teens. I'd say he's at least as good as Speed or Liuzzi.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1763603)   #19
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wHAT ABOUT ALL THE TIME AND MONEY INVESTED IN SCOT, OR AS IT WAS STATED: GET AN AMERICAN IN F1.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1763673)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well that was the whole point to the Red Bull effort: to get an American in F1. My take is that they will keep an American in F1 and for now that American is Scott Speed.

CC will be an inexpensive way to keep some of their other drivers in a race seat until they are needed in F1. After all the trouble to get Scott to F1, Red Bull is not going to send him back to the minor leagues - not until there is a viable American alternative for F1 (read: a faster American than Scott).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 22:28 (Ref:1763693)   #21
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well that was the whole point to the Red Bull effort: to get an American in F1. My take is that they will keep an American in F1 and for now that American is Scott Speed.

CC will be an inexpensive way to keep some of their other drivers in a race seat until they are needed in F1. After all the trouble to get Scott to F1, Red Bull is not going to send him back to the minor leagues - not until there is a viable American alternative for F1 (read: a faster American than Scott).
I think the problem is that Gerhard Berger is responsible for finding half the Toro Rosso budget. Assuming that he is unwilling to use his personal wealth and given that Berger does appear to hold Liuzzi in higher regard, Speed is vulnerable if a funded driver does materialise and no other sponsors are available.

It may well be that Speed is shifted into a testing role and then returns to a race seat when Coulthard retires (which realistically is going to be within a season or two), with Speed and Liuzzi fighting it out to replace him and the one that doesn't secure the RBR seat driving for Toro Rosso.

Last edited by kipper; 11 Nov 2006 at 22:31.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 00:24 (Ref:1763771)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I could see that as a possible scenario, testing for one year then racing in F1 after.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1763914)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
could be just a switcheroo with Speed and Doornbos,but you could also add Doornbos to the list of driver's to replace DC so next season could be a season of looking who is best to replace DC.