Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
See ya AJ - you sold out.
is this another thing about loyalty to you? because if it is its the guys life and his choice, he can do what he feels is best for him and what he wants to do, regardless of what the public want.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 10:47 (Ref:1752555)   #27
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
is this another thing about loyalty to you? because if it is its the guys life and his choice, he can do what he feels is best for him and what he wants to do, regardless of what the public want.
He basically did. Champ Car gave him everything. More so Forysthe. They picked him up when he got sacked from a team that was built around him half way into the championship. They gave him a winning car every race. What does he do? He moves to NASCAR before the end of the season. That's why you have people calling him a sell out...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1752590)   #28
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
He basically did. Champ Car gave him everything. More so Forysthe. They picked him up when he got sacked from a team that was built around him half way into the championship. They gave him a winning car every race. What does he do? He moves to NASCAR before the end of the season. That's why you have people calling him a sell out...
its not the point, a driver can do what he want to do. its not about loyalty in racing.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1752708)   #29
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
its not the point, a driver can do what he want to do. its not about loyalty in racing.
The reason you probably don't feel the same was most fans is because you haven't seen many drivers from both CCWS and IRL jump to NASCAR at the first opportunity. Over the years since the split, quite alot of American talent has been snatched up to NASCAR, be it when they were in Champ Car or before they could even get into it.
As soon as a American driver has success in North American open wheel racing, we must accept the fact that there's a good chance they will be offered $$$$$$ by a NASCAR team. The rest is history.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1752796)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you just need to find american drivers that don't give a damn about nascar, like me.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1752813)   #31
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I think you just need to find american drivers that don't give a damn about nascar, like me.
How commendable

Also you might want to find American drivers that dont give a damn about money either.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1752864)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not just about money, NASCAR gives a driver security and a wide audience. In ChampCars there's much more risk of ending up without a drive for funding reasons.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1752875)   #33
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
It's his choice. Tells you alot about the man.
As it was Tony Stewart's choice some years ago...
A big loss for the series.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1752924)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It's not just about money, NASCAR gives a driver security and a wide audience. In ChampCars there's much more risk of ending up without a drive for funding reasons.
That's irrelevant tbh as he was offered a five year deal at Forsythe.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1753614)   #35
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where will ChampCar or Forsythe be in 5 years' time? Not as strong as Toyota in NASCAR, I'd wager.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1753616)   #36
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
no one knows.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1753654)   #37
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot can happen in 5 years.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 04:54 (Ref:1754054)   #38
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which is probably one of the reasons that stopped AJ from signing a long term deal with FCR.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1754230)   #39
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

The thing is everywhere has its pecking order.

If your're in the USA, then NASCAR is top of the pile.

In Australia, then its V8 Supercars.

For the Rest of the World its Formula One.

Well thats how it looks to me and unless you have a real love for a certain category then all aspiring drivers will gravitate to the perceived top of the pile. Thats how you get your top rated drivers as viewed by the public and the industry.

Nick
Old 31 Oct 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1754568)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
How commendable

Also you might want to find American drivers that dont give a damn about money either.
Well stick it.

I guess it depends what your philosophy of life is and obviously we are different. I recently took a job in the racing industry for less benefits and possibly less money(maybe more we'll see), but I have a 'dream' job most would kill for. Not only will it be 10x more fun than my old job, but it will open doors for me down the line.

I race for my own personal satisfaction. I have no interest in racing a stock car. I could have done that years ago when I lived in alabama. If I do make it to the top levels of racing professionally I know what I want to do and I would rather be in a champcar winning surfers than a nascar at talladega.

I don't care about the money. I have worked for some of the wealthiest and best known people in the world. Money does buy you a lot, sure and yes it is nice to be able to afford lifes luxeries, but I've seen it isn't everything. I've seen plenty of miserable people that own $20 million homes and private jets.

For AJ, I think if he went to nascar because he really wanted to, then he did the right thing. If he went because his management pushed him into it because of the money then he made a poor choice. All this blabber about champcar not providing long term stability is total BS. Forsythe offered him a 5 year contract, then a 3 year contract at AJ's insistance. From what I understand it offered a good salary, with prize money and other incentives. He would have earned quite well for 17 race weekends and he also had the option of racing elsewhere on off weekends. He would have made millions.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1754578)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
VERY interesting story:

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=11027

As he told RACER's (and our web site's) David Phillips in 2004:

"I race not because I want to make a lot of money doing it, that's a perk I'm not gonna lie and it's nice to have, but I race for the passion of winning. Of beating the other guys on the track, knowing that when I won I drove the best that day. And I love doing it on all types of circuits.

"I love this atmosphere and racing in Champ Car, hopefully it can get back to where it was in 1995. I love Champ Car and I want to win the title. I'm not here just to race, I'm here to dominate. I don't get any enjoyment out of running 10th. And it's my dream to dominate Champ Car."
Old 31 Oct 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1754617)   #42
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So therefore, we can conclude that he doesn't want money. He wants to win.

..which is something that he has been doing the second half of the season. So why leave?
Old 31 Oct 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1754660)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
And he could have had the chance to domonate next season....

Maybe its something between Forysthe and the atmosphere which I highly doubt, I donno, I'm just checking stones...
Old 1 Nov 2006, 01:35 (Ref:1754886)   #44
D.R.T.
Veteran

Maybe he now wants to dominate Nascar