Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Sep 2001, 20:33 (Ref:142656)   #1
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Glen

Any news on CART going to The Glen next year?
Old 6 Sep 2001, 22:40 (Ref:142742)   #2
snakepit27
Racer

snakepit27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Glen

Quote:
Originally posted by FastJoel31
Any news on CART going to The Glen next year?
i heard they where looking @ a CART race, i wanna see one there, but havent heard any news
Old 6 Sep 2001, 23:12 (Ref:142772)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a glen race would be awesome - the only races i have seen there are the nascar/busch races
Old 6 Sep 2001, 23:27 (Ref:142789)   #4
snakepit27
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by gomick
a glen race would be awesome - the only races i have seen there are the nascar/busch races
yawn
Old 7 Sep 2001, 04:46 (Ref:142903)   #5
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly enough, the first CART race I ever attended was at Watkins Glen in 1979. Bobby Unser was the winner.

Back then they used the "short course" which is now the NASCAR track. The IMSA GT support race used the "Grand Prix" or "long course"

If CART goes back to the Glen, they should use the long course as the Watking Glen circuit is under-utilized by NASCAR. The section of the track known as "the boot" was always my favorite place to watch the F-1 races from back in the day.

CART has mentioned the Glen on and off over the past few years, but I believe the problems come in the form of track improvements that CART would like to see, but simply don't have the clout to demand anymore...
Old 7 Sep 2001, 10:58 (Ref:143008)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand, the big difficulty with racing at the Glen is that it is unsafe by current standards and it would cost Big Money to bring it up to code. That and the fact that it is in an area without adequate hotels or entertainment, not to mention public roads that limit access, make it less than an A Class venue.

I have been to F1 races there and like the course, but I don't think it's suited to high tech racing.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 14:34 (Ref:143101)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
is the glen any worse though than say a detroit - in safety terms ...
Old 7 Sep 2001, 15:32 (Ref:143137)   #8
snakepit27
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
From what I understand, the big difficulty with racing at the Glen is that it is unsafe by current standards and it would cost Big Money to bring it up to code. That and the fact that it is in an area without adequate hotels or entertainment, not to mention public roads that limit access, make it less than an A Class venue.

I have been to F1 races there and like the course, but I don't think it's suited to high tech racing.

how is the glen unsafe??
Old 7 Sep 2001, 19:05 (Ref:143270)   #9
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Glen is unsafe probably because of the lack of runoff in and around the esses and going down the hill into the boot. But they would be spectacular to watch.

Last edited by FastJoel31; 7 Sep 2001 at 19:06.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 22:24 (Ref:143411)   #10
snakepit27
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by FastJoel31
The Glen is unsafe probably because of the lack of runoff in and around the esses and going down the hill into the boot. But they would be spectacular to watch.
oooooo, i forgot to think of runoff areas , DUH
Old 8 Sep 2001, 05:51 (Ref:143544)   #11
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if "unsafe" describes the Glen. "Antiquated" perhaps is a better word. What CART is looking for is more in the way of run off areas and barriers, as well as improvements in the pit lane.

Watkins Glen a definitely a high speed circuit, and that type of speed always can always carry danger. Anyone that saw the crash that took the life of J.D. McDuffie in the NASCAR race some years back (before the "inner loop" was added) can attest to the tremendous velocity that he hit with. A Champ Car is much lighter and faster than a stock car, so more runoff is required than NASCAR would need.

What CART wants is about 4-6 million dollars in improvements before they'll race there. It's up to ISC to decide if a CART race is worth that. I personally hope they can get together on this, as the Glen is a fantastic place with a lot of racing history.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 13:22 (Ref:143675)   #12
snakepit27
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by SevenGrain
I don't know if "unsafe" describes the Glen. "Antiquated" perhaps is a better word. What CART is looking for is more in the way of run off areas and barriers, as well as improvements in the pit lane.

Watkins Glen a definitely a high speed circuit, and that type of speed always can always carry danger. Anyone that saw the crash that took the life of J.D. McDuffie in the NASCAR race some years back (before the "inner loop" was added) can attest to the tremendous velocity that he hit with. A Champ Car is much lighter and faster than a stock car, so more runoff is required than NASCAR would need.

What CART wants is about 4-6 million dollars in improvements before they'll race there. It's up to ISC to decide if a CART race is worth that. I personally hope they can get together on this, as the Glen is a fantastic place with a lot of racing history.
plus i think people will show up!
Old 17 Sep 2001, 02:10 (Ref:147288)   #13
Jimmyz360
Rookie

Jimmyz360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think racing at watkins glen would be great...considering nascar goes there and all they do is b*tch about how they actually have to pass eachother and show real driving skills. Im jus not sure if California has CART overkill with many races already
Old 17 Sep 2001, 11:30 (Ref:147372)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmyz360
Im jus not sure if California has CART overkill with many races already
I think you might be thinking of Sear's Point as Watkin's Glen is in New York. Personally I think CART at the Glen would be phenomenol. As for there not being any hotels or entertainment. I think the CART show would be plenty entertaining and to really appreciate a road course weekend you need to camp on the grounds. There's nothing better than waking up with fresh brewed coffee and the rumble of engines and the smell of brakedust. But that's just me
Old 17 Sep 2001, 12:50 (Ref:147392)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The single largest safety factor is not so much the lack of runoff areas, but is one of the Glen's most historic features. The light blue colored armco fencing around the corners is far to dangerous for an open wheel car to race around. A currently designed open wheel racer would be far to easily forced under the armco in the event of a crash and that would kill a driver. Watkins Glen was the one of the first race tracks to ever incorporate the use of armco fencing and I doubt they would be willing to remove it. It has become a traditional feature of the circuit.

I do think that the race would do exceptionally well there even without the media and sponsor catering hotels and amenities. the race fans would make it a popular stop for CART.