Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Jul 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2496030)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula Student

Appreciate that Pete H is a bit busy this weekend, but just wondered if anybody had heard anything about FStudent?

Can't wait - as it is such a wonderful event - but do hope that all the last vestiges of the 'flu are well out of the way by then. Don't want to be "oinking" now do I? (no comments expected!)
Old 5 Jul 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2496069)   #2
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All going on as usual. I expected the paperwork out by now but won't hold my breath as the Shell eco stuff only went out coz I took over that task at the last minute. I will chase it next week (more fool me as I feel another job coming my way).

Anyway just turn up on the day you volunteered even if no paperwork.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2496695)   #3
Vanny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry
Vanny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not had anything through the door, but always check on here for the most up to date info, 10tenths knows best!

I'm already getting ready for the event, ordered a new set of probans today, 3 months in the US eating from restaurants and living in a hotel have not been kind to me. I'll role around in the mud before i arrive though, i hate new overalls!

As this will be my first multi day marshalling event, and first time to Silverstone as a marshal, is there anything i need to know?
Old 6 Jul 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2496700)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expect the unexpected this is not a normal race meting, this is fun (and hard work).
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2496829)   #5
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only echo what Dave says. It is not a normal meeting in any way shape or form, but is one of the most rewarding few days you'll get. Take time to talk to the students, you never know they could be the F1 & motorsport team managers & engineers of the future.
Just one word of warning, if Capt Mainwaring asks you to get on his open back van & go for a ride......BEWARE

Ask Dave

Sadly I can't make this year, date clash with BSB at Mallory, hopefully next year there wont be a clash & I'll be back to help with the set up crew again.

Last edited by Col_Rugby; 6 Jul 2009 at 20:15. Reason: spelling
Old 6 Jul 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2496938)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When are we needed for? I may trundle down if I am of any use.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2497189)   #7
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
When are we needed for? I may trundle down if I am of any use.

PM Me and I will get back to you.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2501499)   #8
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Information arrived in this morning post.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2501618)   #9
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, got mine too (but no pass as mentioned in the letter)

Looking forward to a manic few days, but also watching all that rain forecast - natures own skid pan
Old 14 Jul 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2501620)   #10
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
If I remember correctly, last year we got passes when we signed on, where we also recieved the drinks/food wristbands.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2501668)   #11
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Got mine today too - which means I am still invited despite causing grief questioning various plans. My letter doesn't mention a pass but I know there were last minute changes relating to passes. If you have any problems on the day call me on 07802 505588 and I can cause more grief.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2501716)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have already spoken to Pete because, although I am now back at work, I'm still suffering th last vestiges of the flu (oink) with a touch of breathlessness (sign to give up the fags?) and not my normal energy levels - so not too much running around for me. I'm hoping to make the practice area my own. Really enjoyed doing it on the Sunday last year - all those "last gasp" attempts..... (suit me then at the moment).

We will be arriving at the circuit at some point on Thursday - hopefully around lunchtime. See you there!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2502421)   #13
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Just to let everyone know - no-one at work has come down with flu in the 3 weeks since I went off sick and have then been back at work. Please do not worry that you are in any "peril" at this weekend's event.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2502470)   #14
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Just to let everyone know - no-one at work has come down with flu in the 3 weeks since I went off sick and have then been back at work. Please do not worry that you are in any "peril" at this weekend's event.
I was looking forward to being is some form of "peril"
Old 16 Jul 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2502808)   #15
Scoundrel
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Scoundrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Student

Spoke to Pete yesterday and will turn up on Sunday. Was meant to be at Rockingham but had a change of heart. Never done Formula Student before, so should be fun.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2504382)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On behalf of Rob and myself a mega thank you to everyone for what became a very, very wet meeting. Hope you all enjoyed it, will dry out and come back next year.
P.S. if it's any consolation Rob and I got soaked as well!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2504393)   #17
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Glad it went well for you & hope you enjoyed it.
If it's any consolation we got absolutely drowned at Mallory as well, although my water brushing skills were well highlighted on tv.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 00:30 (Ref:2504528)   #18
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looked busy, but that people were enjoying themselves when I popped down to the sprint area during the training session that was also happening.

Who won?
Old 20 Jul 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2504621)   #19
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Thank you Dave & Rob.

Yesterday was a truly wet day, the only one I came remember for this event at Silverstone. The drivers still managed to control the vehicles and only one in the gravel!

Hopefully back next year weather permitting
Old 20 Jul 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2504657)   #20
Scoundrel
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Had a great day on post 10 (thanks to the Guys!!!). Only one in the gravel where we were (while I was tucking into my roll). Plenty to do and despite the weather my face got a tan

Highly recommend this event to others as there is never a dull moment. Well done to India's 199 car for actual making it around the track. I think they got the loudest cheer at the end of the day. Thanks for all the Pembrey crew you made the long journey down to make up the numbers - that's dedication for you...unlike one person who doesn't like the rain and left - you know who you are

All in all a great day !!!!!!!
Old 20 Jul 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2504715)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
"My Boys" - Car 199 - were the last to pass the brake test on their very last attempt at about 2.15pm. I was SOOO pleased because I really, really, really wanted to give them that sticker. Thanks to Allan for helping me to "milk" the moment before we told them they'd done it! Their absolute joy just sums up the whole spirit of the event to me ("professional" German teams notwithstanding).

And thanks to Mark "Captain Mainwaring" and the set-up crew for clearing up WD so my boys at least got a few minutes running their car in the practice area.

As stated by Scoundrel - this event is really worth doing yet we never have enough people so are always rather thin on the ground. I can hardly move today and the feet are still hurting, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!

And, last but not least, thanks to Elaine for maintaining calm throughout the chaos, to Clerks Rob and Dave for their pragmatism and, of course, to Pete Harding who just seems to work miracles every year!
Old 20 Jul 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2504770)   #22
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
- that's dedication for you...unlike one person who doesn't like the rain and left - you know who you are

As with most issues - it's not as easy as what you hear on the radio to understand the complexities of a situation. The guy concerned is often out in all weathers without complaint and it was all sorted out later.

Everyone did a great job over the weekend -- Thanks
Old 20 Jul 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2504786)   #23
Scoundrel
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
I agree that we need to get more marshals. I have found that the smaller events and club meetings have given me more experience trackside than the bigger meetings. Can't wait till next year for the next one.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2504948)   #24
Vanny
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry
Vanny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a cracking weekend! I'll write more when i have some pics together, but it really was good fun on the Sunday. Personally i found in full wet weather clothing i only got mildly moist, but i think it was well worth it for the track based entertainment, and a rather good excuse to dig not one but 4 big holes in the gravel (and i'm still not sure why i found that so satisfying, good job someone stopped me).

Above all it was really enjoyable to put names to faces, share a drink, and meet some interesting people who i would never meet outside of the marshaling circles!

Same time next year?
Old 20 Jul 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2504963)   #25
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
Had a great day on post 10 (thanks to the Guys!!!). Only one in the gravel where we were (while I was tucking into my roll). Plenty to do and despite the weather my face got a tan

Highly recommend this event to others as there is never a dull moment. Well done to India's 199 car for actual making it around the track. I think they got the loudest cheer at the end of the day. Thanks for all the Pembrey crew you made the long journey down to make up the numbers - that's dedication for you...unlike one person who doesn't like the rain and left - you know who you are

As a member of the Pembrey crew wouldnt miss FS (nor would Mel & Brian), and thats not just to make up the numbers. FS just wouldnt be the same without Mel @ brake test .
Having done both brake & tilt test Must echo the post earlier the joy shown when teams pass is worth the trip alone Not to mention the chance to meet up with marshals in the bar in the evenings.