Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jul 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1651231)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Student

On behalf of Rob Adaway & myself, a big Thank You to one & all for what in my opinion was the best one yet. Every year it sems to get bigger & better (as the actress said to the Bishop), all the teams were friendly & the session after lunch yesterday was awesome. Here's to next year.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1651441)   #2
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hear Hear!

We certainly seem to getting our act together - I've never known the 3 days go by so quickly, or so well. God bless the army trainees for taking so much hard graft off us!

Got up this morning totally stiff and walking like the old woman that I am! Reckon this was due to our carpark yesterday morning (I still reckon £10 an hour would have let me retire) and the way number 12 was determined to hit either the yellow or the green cone on EVERY lap (except the last when he went out in style with both!).

Driving standards (at least amongst the more experienced colleges) was amazing. Leeds No1 driver was "totally awesome" but my heart is still with the Helsinki car. That was undoubtedly the prettiest I have seen for a long time - and it went b****y well too!

Heart went to the Welsh team (can't remember which uni - too busy avoiding being run over at the time) because it wasn't their fault and the driver was in tears. My suggestion to take deep breaths calmed the driver down but, alas, to no avail. At least Neil C-J saw it all (in case of any comeback).

Congratulations to Pete Harding, Fat Clerk, Rob Adaway et al for keeping us all organised and moving things along and to all the rest of the guys and gals for making it the event it is. How often do you not mind having breakfast with the same folk you ate last night's dinner with?

And there's always Laurel and Hardy..........

Hope to see you next year.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1651461)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard Mark & Ken called some names (The dangerous Sisters is the one I use) but Laurel & Hardy, come on Shelagh, they're both 8 stone wet!
Old 9 Jul 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1651469)   #4
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's what they told me! Apparently they had some driver with them at Mallory the other weekend (the meeting with the Karts) who, after surviving a weekend with the pair, posted a !complimentary! thread in which he referred to them as "Laurel & Hardy".

Think hard, Dave, one tall skinny one and one smaller, er, plumper one ....

BTW - did you ever get your underpants back or has Mark donated them to Julian's "build your own microlight" fund?
Old 9 Jul 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1651544)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
You might be interested in the following:

"After a nail-bitingly close and exciting competition, Toronto magnificently held off fearsome challenges from the Technical University of Graz and Oxford Brookes University to successfully defend their Formula Student Overall Class 1 Winner's title. The University of Hertfordshire were crowned champions of Class 1 (200 Series) and winners of the Best Developed Car Prize. Patras took the honours in Class 2, while Lisbon's Instituto Superior Técnico were victorious in Class 3. Congratulations to all of them and a big thank you to all the teams for making Formula Student 2006 the best yet!"

Apparently the full results won't be posted until tomorrow (Monday) because everyone needs a rest! Can agree with that but wonder where the world cup final fits in!!!!!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1652480)   #6
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can i just add my thanks to all those involved especially, pete, dave and rob. I just hope i dont see a cone for a couple of weeks unless it is full of ice cream.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1652754)   #7
redlady
Rookie

Wales
sunny wales
redlady should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I must be mad but i cant waite till next year to see what the students come up with how much effort they put in to the cars and the teams sprit would you lend an engine to an other team and give a helping hand to the other team. and the happy faces of the tec advisers to see us year in year out!

The welsh team green 77 swansea unit had to rebuild the petrol tank 4times, 101 swansea instiute also green were trying so hard and were great in the pratice and break test, and cardiff red having to rebuild the upright with a road trip back to cardiff.

The captin we had this year were very nice

It was nice to see all of you again!

And make my cone a 99 with double flake!

Till next the time !
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1652875)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sunglasses - must have them somewhere... ah, got them. Right, what did that say again?!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1652896)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looong days, I wasn't marshalling I was working... bound to upset a few people with my report but hey thats part of the game!

Shame that the 750 involvement is now limited to marshalling...
Old 11 Jul 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1653168)   #10
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds like a great event. A couple of marshals at the DTM were telling me about it, and I'd love to help next year. Who do I volunteer to for this one next year?

Phill
Old 11 Jul 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1653192)   #11
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pete Harding at the 750mc is the person you need to be speaking to.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1653310)   #12
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and I'm easy to contact. But why not volunteer for a 750MC meeting via www.marshals.org.uk and come along and talk to me about it.
Must go now to prepare for another event (Shell eco-marathon) this Wednesday and Thursday.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1653884)   #13
redlady
Rookie

Wales
sunny wales

Sorry Woolley I was feeling Pinky and Perky after a great 4 day with the students and a team of marshals. I cant recomend it strongly enough to anyone who has the patience and legs to servive all the running jumming and bending. If you can keep your head when all around are losing theres (students that is!) I am still smiling about some of the thing I saw and heard the spirt of the teams and marshals.

A big thanks Peter, Dave, Rob, N.C-J the marshals and all the team. see you next year or sooner
Old 11 Jul 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1653909)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LOL, no worries, I enjoyed the enthusiasm, just a bit pink for me. My wife liked it!

So what is Formula Student? I've seen it on the availability forms, but never had the slightest idea what went on.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1653977)   #15
redlady
Rookie

Wales
sunny wales
Ok there are site that have all the tec info but to me it is fun the students build a car at university or collage and bring it to us to pass 4 different technical inspections to makesure that they are safe to drive then figer of 8, sprint and endurance (the cone protrole) they have a pratice area to test the car and drivers. Lost of passionate students and tec advisors from all over the world. It is great fun for all. Hard work but not! You and your best beloved would enjoy! As i said i am still smiling at some of the antics, the dedication, determination and the skill of the teams. The Fat Clerk and Pete Harding can give you the full info its worth talking to one of them!
Old 12 Jul 2006, 05:51 (Ref:1654130)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
formula Student is the culmination of a degree course. Teams enter from Universities all over the world (for the last 2 years Toronto have won), they have to design & build a single seater. It has to go through these tests (in order), Scrutineering, Tilt, Noise, Brake, Acceleration, Sprint & Endurance.
These is done over 4 days.
For more information, go to: http://www.imeche.org.uk/formulastudent/
Old 12 Jul 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1654734)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Let's not forget that you get teams in the 1st year who (usually) only go in for the "presentation" stage. Then, over the next 3 years they actually build the car and present it for all the tests previously mentioned.

So, you get some teams who are basically pushing their luck as to how far they can go (usually 2nd years) running in the dynamic events,.

These are the teams that usually break down and require our services.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1655617)   #18
Short Circuit
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
Short Circuit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great meeting. I missed out on the last two due to the grand prix but i'll definately be back next year. I was very suprised to see how much things had changed(mainly in size). Its good to see the jelly and ice cream club startred by jinx is still going strong!!

That Audi TB was causing normal problems!

Thanks to all involved.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1656521)   #19
redlady
Rookie

Wales
sunny wales
Jelly and Ice Cream Rule!

Be Good To See You Again Your Presents Is Missed!

XxX

M
Old 24 Jul 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1663449)   #20
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to say I also missed last two years. already spoken to Peter about next year.Sorry to hear Kevin was not present this time. His antics in the dining room are some of the highlights of the event. Should prospective new marshals be warned about him? Hope to see all members of Equipe Gelee et Glace next year.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1663451)   #21
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no that wound spoil to fun,want excuse will kevin think up for next year?
Old 24 Jul 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1663551)   #22
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps parenthood will cramp his style, certainly hope not. If he and Redlady were ever to exchange ideas we would all be in trouble(Hate to think what they would think up). Thank heavens for the voice of reason, PJ Harding.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1663591)   #23
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom pusher
Thank heavens for the voice of reason, PJ Harding.
Eh?
Old 24 Jul 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1663730)   #24
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Eh?
Bl**dy french critics!
Old 28 Jul 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1666815)   #25
redlady
Rookie

Wales
sunny wales
ok broom pusher just waite for next year i have kevins email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love you to!

c u soon xXx