Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Jun 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3269688)   #1
H16OPY
Rookie

England
H16OPY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie Warning.. (Motorhome camping question)

Hey Folks,

Right finally signed up to this great forum been reading for a few weeks now really loving all the info and banter. I'm really hoping to fulfill a lifetime ambition next year I get to watch this great race.

I've been trying to do as much research as possible however as its my first time I thought it would be best to ask the experts. So sorry if this is old ground but I've searched the best I can.

I'm wondering what is the best campsite for a motorhome within the track or will I have to stay offsite also where is the best place to buy our tickets from anybody got a recomdations obviously value for money is good but rather pay a little more for good customer service.

I have so many more questions to ask sorry.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3269692)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum. I can't answer the exact question as I've never taken a motorhome to Le Mans. A lot do and there were many in the camp site near the arena this year, but I've seen them in all, I think.

I'm sure you'll get some answers with motorhome experience soon...
Old 25 Jun 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3269697)   #3
H16OPY
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I can't answer the exact question as I've never taken a motorhome to Le Mans. A lot do and there were many in the camp site near the arena this year, but I've seen them in all, I think.

I'm sure you'll get some answers with motorhome experience soon...
Thanks just trying to get as much good advice as possible.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3269719)   #4
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will watch this thread with interest, as Mrs C suggested hiring a campervan for 2014.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3269726)   #5
H16OPY
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Will watch this thread with interest, as Mrs C suggested hiring a campervan for 2014.
Well from just looking on beermountain's guide to the camping spots PZ54 seems to be the most suitable as its hard standing. Anybody got any past experiences of staying there?

Also where is the best place to get my grandstand tickets as well as my camping spot from I'm like a kid Xmas just want to get booked ASAP.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3269731)   #6
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have zero experience with a motorhome, but there are a growing number coming to Houx every year it seems.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3269742)   #7
H16OPY
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
I have zero experience with a motorhome, but there are a growing number coming to Houx every year it seems.
What is Houx like to camp on for atmosphere etc?
Old 26 Jun 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3269878)   #8
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i enjoy it, although my sleep was heightened this year by the purchase of some ear plugs to prepare for Friday and Sunday nights.

Everyone I've met on Houx has been friendly and the facilities are great. Same with any site I think you just have to be prepared for those who are there for a party.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3269882)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Houx (not the Annexe) is the only site that has electricity points, which might add value to your camping experience.

As has been said, I think the atmosphere of all of the sites depends on the luck of the draw of who you are pitched up against, although I think the price and strict pitch markings in Houx puts off the larger groups seen elsewhere.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3269895)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Welcome to the forum.
Yes in theory most of the sites will not allow motor homes there are specific sites that do and also large area's (tripple size) to accomodate larger vehicles. Some sites like tertre rouge are not flat and open and the trees mean it is not really suitable. As for the atmosphere on each site they range from noisy and hectic to calm and some sites are closer to the track and main stands than others. Beermountain has the best description of each site.
Tickets are available direct from the ACO and from the tourist office but the agents like first tickets/travel destinations etc are your best bet to ensure the site you want. Grandstand tickets are not required to see the race but many to purchase them, there is always debate on here as to various things but if you are not flush with cash then spend what you have on a better site rather than seats.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3269896)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by H16OPY View Post
What is Houx like to camp on for atmosphere etc?
Loud, but not the loudest. Maison Blanche is the "crazy" campsite but Houx would be better described as its slightly more tame cousin. Of course, there's still a lot going on at Houx all week but depending on who you pitch near, a good night's sleep shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm still young enough to take Maison Blanche when I can book there, but I think Houx is objectively the best campsite. Good facilities, great people and a nice balance between partying and race-watching.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3269986)   #12
H16OPY
Rookie

England
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and I really apprciate all the great info. So just to recap all the sites can have motorhomes it really comes down to which is most practical really need a quiet one as im going to be going with my oldman so need peace and quiet haha.

Am I right in thinking that it may be best to pay slightly more now to secure the campsite and grandstands that we want than wait till December and take a risk.

Who are the best people to buy from I have seen a few like Tickets 2 U or 1st Tickets plus Travel Destinations who should I take the plunge with?

From experince how often does the race date change as we are at the TT till 7th June as it ever been earlier than that?

Sorry for all the questions..
Old 26 Jun 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3269998)   #13
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Houx is the campsite of choice for those with a motorhome, as it has electric hook ups (limited availability, but sharing, etc.. can be done).

As for the date, it was a week later than "usual" this year. It is usually the 24th weekend of the year.

We've camped in Houx for the past 4 or 5 years, it's got decent facilities (it's all relative) and you are inside the circuit and General Entrance, so both the car/motorhome and all passengers are scanned on entry and exit to the campsite.

We've had friends who have brought motorhomes along and hired them. A pitch is 5x7m in size.

Old 26 Jun 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3270048)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In the past the dates have clashed slightly with the IOM so be warned, and beware as said not all sites are suitable for large motorhomes and the ACO are keen to sell the larger plots for them,
Old 26 Jun 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3270082)   #15
H16OPY
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
In the past the dates have clashed slightly with the IOM so be warned, and beware as said not all sites are suitable for large motorhomes and the ACO are keen to sell the larger plots for them,
Sounds like I'm best waiting. When does the date get confirmed for next year?
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3270157)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
why on earth would you pay agents commission when you can buy direct from the ACO? there's a phone number which has English speakers on the other end, it's been quoted on this forum somewhere. Back when I was a regular in the 90's we felt it was worth joining the ACO as you then can buy seats in the dedicated member's grandstand, with access to clean loos, and also the hospitality building / marquee which is a haven of civilisation when you want a break. ISTR it got you discount on the general entry tickets too, but I'll leave it for others to say if it's still thought worthwhile.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3270158)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think so. I've been a member since 1997.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3270163)   #18
H16OPY
Rookie

England
How do you go about joining the ACO? Is it expensive to join?
Old 26 Jun 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3270172)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
why on earth would you pay agents commission when you can buy direct from the ACO?
Ease and comprehensive choice.

Things may have changed, but we struggled to get the grandstands and camping/parking we wanted with the ACO. In fact struggled to get the tickets in time too! Perhaps things have improved as it is probably seven or eight years ago. That complete lack of customer service for year after year means I haven't gone back to them yet. Now I get any stand I want easily.

Also, Dad likes to stay in a hotel now and it is the only way to get a decent one near the circuit.

Add on top I make one phone call and the guy sorts it all out for me every year. He knows me, what I need and what I like.

For many years we have done the do it all yourself options - I see the pros and cons of both ways.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 20:11 (Ref:3270173)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by H16OPY View Post
How do you go about joining the ACO? Is it expensive to join?
The 24h Le Mans website shop is probably the best way. They do membership packages tailored to the race fan.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 08:29 (Ref:3270362)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
You can join on line at the ACO lemans website

membership is about 100 euro's

You get 6 discounted tickets saving 17e each and 2 or 4 discounted camping passes

In classic years you also get discounts on those tickets plus free pit pass and grandstand seat.

Yes well worth joining IMHO
Old 27 Jun 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3270374)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I used to buy our tickets from the ACO (the discount covered the membership fee) but after several years on the trot of not getting the campsite and tribune requested, even when order 12 months in advance, we switched to The Dark Side and paid the agents markup to get what we wanted.

Also. When I misplaced my tribune ticket on the Friday (before too many drinks were taken, so I don't even have that excuse) the people at JustTickets were very helpful in arranging with the ACO to reprint it on Saturday morning, I am not sure how successful I would have been if I'd ordered directly and asked the same question.
Old 27 Jun 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3270451)   #23
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dates would seem to be announced, although STC...

Le Mans - 14/15th June 2014
Nurburgring - 21/22 June 2014
Le Mans Classic - 5/6 July 2014

http://mikefrison.com/2162
Old 27 Jun 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3270472)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder where he got those from - it's very early for any kind of definitive announcement - just guesswork? (It would be my guess too).
Old 28 Jun 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3271412)   #25
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Dates confirmed.