Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 Jul 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3283867)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Parking - Mulsanne and Indianapolis/Arnage

For the last few years we've always bought the extra parking tickets for Mulsanne and Indianapolis/Arnage. The last couple of years though, I don't think we displayed them, or were even asked to proffer them and until race night this year, we were thinking of not bothering buying them again next year. We weren't asked to show them at any time out at Arnage, or on the Thursday night at Mulsanne, but when we got to Mulsanne, about 6 am I guess on Sunday morning, as we started to drive down the astonishingly rutted entrance road, we were stopped by a marshal and it was made absolutely clear that we would not be getting in without our extra car park ticket. We produced it of course and drove in, no problem. I guess that made up our minds to buy the tickets again next year - but, did anyone else have to display a separate parking ticket?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3283872)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
GT6, a few of his mates and me went to Arnage on Thursday night, we had no extra parking pass and we had to park in a field a way away from the corner.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3283877)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On Wednesday night, we got into the nearest car park to Arnage (no ticket displayed though) but on Saturday night we had to park in (probably) the same field a long way away - although we didn't display our ticket and didn't try to get in the closest one - mind you, it did looked jammed....
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3283879)   #4
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
It was a bit of a laugh getting back to the field and finding the pimpmobile in complete darkness.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3283883)   #5
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't remember if we were asked or not, but I wouldn't want to go all that way and be turned back.
We have previously parked in Mulsanne village at no cost and walked from there however.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3283885)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are there different car parks, because we've never had a different car park pass to park at Arnage or Mulsanne. For Arnage they are on the right hand side just after you've passes the entrance travelling away from the main circuit/Arnage town (it is one way for the race so you can't travel the other way)?

The last few years we've been unlucky and had to park in the further of two car parks, but it has never been a problem. I thought it was like the GA ticket, a car park ticket for one of the 'main' car parks also got you into the Ranage and Mulsann.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3283892)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think the general idea is that, certainly for Arnage (as yes Adam, those are the car parks at Arnage), you should get into the first car park literally a few yards away from the entrance if you have a ticket - instead of having to walk quite a distance to what I've referred to in the past as the 'overflow' car parks. I have my suspicions that on Saturday night, if we had displayed our ticket, we might have been able to get into the first car park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I thought it was like the GA ticket, a car park ticket for one of the 'main' car parks also got you into the Arnage and Mulsanne.
That's what I always assumed too, but we did have our Parking Blanc ticket on display - or at least I think we did? James? Tony?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3283893)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dad always hates it when we get moved to the overflow. I might have to get one!

Amazing, after all these years there are still little nuances to find out about.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3283897)   #9
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I went to Mulsanne on wednesday evening and had to show it (no problem as it was attached to the window).

Did go to Arnage on sunday morning and was rather displeased when I had to go to the 'overflow' parking while there was still a place free readily in sight on the parking closest to the Arnage entrance. My best french didn't help and we went to the other parking. My displeasure got slightly worse when we saw some french git waved in no problem whatsoever!

But for the 10 euros it costs, divided by 3 or 4, I will not take the risk to be sent back, so I just order one.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3283899)   #10
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never had a parking permit, didn't know you needed one, also never had problems and always parked in front. Need to say always visited very early morning. Won't buy them either.
btw, very quiet out here on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3283923)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
It always is in July and August......
Old 30 Jul 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3283950)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Never had a parking permit, didn't know you needed one, also never had problems and always parked in front. Need to say always visited very early morning. Won't buy them either.
Same
Old 31 Jul 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3284359)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Never had a parking permit, didn't know you needed one, also never had problems and always parked in front. Need ...
Thinking about it we've gone at different times the last couple of years. Obviously busier times.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3284361)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
For the last few years, since I joined James and Tony, we've followed a similar routine. Arnage for first qually on Wednesday evening, Mulsanne for final qually on Thursday evening. Out to Arnage around 1.30-2 am on Sunday morning and then straight on to Mulsanne at about 6. Arnage is always still surprisingly busy in the early hours of Sunday morning, hence the need for the car park overflows. Having said that, I would guess that it's probably even busier earlier on Saturday evening. We could do with Craig or AllonFS's take on it, as Arnage is of course their 'second home'.......
Old 31 Jul 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3284370)   #15
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saturday we went to Arnage about midnight and had to park in the 'overflows' but on our Expo ticket all the same. Sunday morning, we went to Mulsanne, but the guy was adamant we couldn't park there on our Expo ticket, despite always having been able to park in there without a specific Mulsanne ticket in previous years. Fortunately; there was a small spot (we were in my mate's mini) so he let us squeeze in there rather than back out towards the road/in the village.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3284381)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That sounds familiar then Dave........
Old 1 Aug 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3284517)   #17
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
I can't speak for Mulsanne, but the situation at Arnage has changed over recent years.

Back in the 1980s, the car park was on the left, immediately behind the banking and stretched almost to Indianapolis. You had to have a permit which you bought at the ticket hut at the entrance.

Over the years it became busier and an overflow car park was established on the right, roughly opposite the original car park entrance.

Matters then evolved so that the original on the left became camping only and the field on the right became the main car park for Arnage - but you could buy a parking ticket on the gate.

Two years ago, they stopped selling tickets on the gate and at the ticket hut - result: chaos!

It seems this year that, if you had a car park ticket already, you could use the first car park, if not, you were sent half a mile down the road to the second car park, where no ticket was required. If the first car park was full, you were sent to the second anyway.

2014? I wonder what new scheme they'll dream up?

BTW, I suspect none of the above applies if you are French and have a French car.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3284729)   #18
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
It seems this year that, if you had a car park ticket already, you could use the first car park, if not, you were sent half a mile down the road to the second car park, where no ticket was required. If the first car park was full, you were sent to the second anyway.
This looks like the thing that happened to me on Sunday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
BTW, I suspect none of the above applies if you are French and have a French car.
This looks like the thing that happened to the french git that was permitted in the car park instead of me!

But apparently there are no 'concrete' rules and each parking attendant does what he/she seems most fit. Hope they get some structure and rules in it. As stated before, I'll keep buying the ticket and am with Le Vieux on the fact that I too am curious what they cook up next year!
Old 3 Aug 2013, 08:44 (Ref:3285305)   #19
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
This looks like the thing that happened to the french git that was permitted in the car park instead of me!
I have done the 'flydrive' option on 3 or 4 occasions (flight to Paris or Tours and picked up a hire car). There is no doubt in my mind that a French number plate gives you a distinct advantage. For example, the 'boss' in Parking Blanc completely ignored my 'illegal' parking (ie not using my allocated space on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Sunday) in the years I was sporting a French number plate. But, as soon as I went back to driving my own car (with a British number plate, of course), he started giving me the third degree if I tried to park anywhere in Blanc apart from my allocated space. I always managed to talk my way out of having to move the car, but I was taken aback by his change in attitude.

That said, we now have a very good rapport and an 'understanding'.....