Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2000, 17:35 (Ref:53335)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been thinking about this for a while.

It took Barichello over 100 races before he won won, despite being in a reasonably competative car for a few years. The Jordan and the Stewart were never going to be front-runners, but were always well up the field, and were plenty of opportunities for good finishes, if not wins.
Now Barichello is going on about how he is the future of Ferrari, when he's only won one race.

I see a similar pattern emerging with Ralf. He's clearly capable of running at the front quite happily, and is obviously very talented, but he seems to lack that something that makes him stand out as a regular future winner. He, like Rubens, just looks to me like someone who's destined to finish second forever.

What do you think? Am I imagining things, seeing something that isn't there?
Old 19 Dec 2000, 18:23 (Ref:53341)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael, I disagree heartily. I think Ralf is much more aggressive than RB and a much more consistent finisher. When he finally gets a car beneath himself that can win, he will be a consistent winner.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 18:23 (Ref:53342)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think so. Whether or not a driver wins is very much a question of the car and the opposition. I have no doubt that he would be winning regularly was there not such a huge gap between the top two teams and everyone else. F1 Racing magazine calculated that from this year's results, with no Ferraris or McLarens in the championship, Ralf would have been the World Champion. I think Ralf can definitely win the championship, and I think he has the ability to do it more than once. But, as I said, it depends a lot on the car, and the Williams is not up to that standard yet.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 18:55 (Ref:53352)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well to be honest I don't see Ralf win anything, not in the past nor in the future. Comparing him to Barrichello should some purists turn sick. Comparing Rubens' silky smooth driving style to the one of a driver who ... ermm ... well ... actually has no style whatsoever. If you can stand ugliness in motion have a look back at his Suzuka's qualify. Being on the best track in the world, a track every driver loves, he couldn't put anything right let alone the same lap after lap. Well doesn't he has any genetical advantages? No, Michael is a world apart from him. Ralf is very emotional, less concentrated, less focus, nervous itchy etc all the stuff his brother controls so well. So his driving is the worst in the field, mentally really not up to the job ... and your question was?
Old 19 Dec 2000, 21:15 (Ref:53369)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with EERO and Ralf's Girl on this one. Ralf is very consistent, a regular in the points over the last two years. If he has a car that can win, he'll do it. IMO he has the potential of becoming a future multiple WDC, it of course remains to be seen whether or not he can fulfil that potential. I wouldn't bet against it though.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 21:18 (Ref:53370)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
So his driving is the worst in the field, mentally really not up to the job
One word:

Rubbish.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 22:03 (Ref:53382)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say that I doubt Ralf will ever win the championship, he is better than Rubens.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 23:14 (Ref:53390)   #8
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly, Ralf's Girl, I agree, he is.
Old 20 Dec 2000, 00:26 (Ref:53395)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Frank is BACK!!

I disagree with all of you. BMW plus Michelin will be the combination that will bring a smile back to Frank's face (well almost, because Frank never smiles). Ralf will be a winner this year, and probably so will JPM. I will predict that Ralf will win more races than Rubens will be allowed to win next season. AND I cannot see Ralf being stupid enough to become a schu-shine boy to TGF like Rubens was conned into this year. No!! Ralf will never be the next Rubens!! Ralf - take a trip to GO and collect $200, and you can leave Rubens behind in JAIL on your way pass.
Old 20 Dec 2000, 03:38 (Ref:53414)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heheh...with the dominance of the top 2 team, its natural many drivers cant win anything, unless of cos all 4 cars in front disintegrate!

But Ralf is certainly more aggressive and consistent a performer than Rubens in a season like 2000, esp during races, but Rubens is the smoother (but not faster) driver most of the time.

Both are pretty good drivers, but its hard to picture them as World Champions with the likes of Mika and Michael arnd.

And i do worry for Ralf, Montoya seems very quick!
Old 20 Dec 2000, 05:45 (Ref:53433)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya was 2 seconds off of Ralf's pace in the last test.

Ralf has only himself to worry about right now.
Old 20 Dec 2000, 20:55 (Ref:53521)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
That was exactly the kind of childish response I was expecting when I stated that your saying Ralf is the worst driver in the field was rubbish. I saw that one a mile away.

Old 20 Dec 2000, 22:50 (Ref:53550)   #13
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Well if you reply in a non argumented posting with only one word you could expect the same indeed ...
Old 20 Dec 2000, 23:24 (Ref:53562)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ralf Schumacher is far more talented than Barrichello has or ever will be. Ralf has the speed and the aggression which Rubens so obviously lacks.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 01:11 (Ref:53581)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dino V and DNQ I agree, I fail to see what the great promise is that everybody can see within young Ralf, apart from his last name. He has been consistently quick (for short periods of time) and consistently inconsistent. This is the characteristic of the driver, not the car as he has sat in more than one car. He may win a race, but will never be WDC.

Although, on the other hand I have a liking for HHF and he regularly disappoints results wise as well, but this is the car not the driver.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 05:34 (Ref:53593)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
You Ralf doubters, mark my words, you will eat your words in the not too distant future when Ralf shows he is a much bettre driver than what you give him credit for, and he will finish ahead of Rubens this year, despite what everyone says that the Ferrari and Macs are unbeatable by the rest of the gang. Ralf will make you eat your words.
And Ralf's Girl, I am sorry for you, but I just checked your post, and you did indicate that Ralf, in one word, is rubbish. That is called a "fox pass" or something like that.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 07:05 (Ref:53595)   #17
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One word:

Rubbish
Quote:
What a smart a$$. I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21 Dec 2000, 09:01 (Ref:53601)   #18
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember one guy whom it took almoust 100 races to win, moreover his 2 first wins were given him by his team-mate. Now he's twice WDC. You know whom I mean.

MichaelC, you think Ralph's going to became next Rubens, but he may became a new Mika.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 09:30 (Ref:53607)   #19
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, I’ll be the first to admit that I was astonished when Ralf got into F1. Admittedly he had backed into the Nippon title but his driving was awful. His 1997 season was very suspect indeed and his actions cost Jordan a win that year. He has become a lot less erratic but I still have to see him put in a scintillating drive.

Dino, I agree with you 100%! Ralf has not got a good driving style at all. I have not seen Ralf take a car and make it do something that it should not be able to do, like his brother, Giles, Senna etc were / are able to do. (Out of the current field I suggest that only Schumacher, Trulli and Montoya can do this kind of thing consistently.) Ralf does not seem to drive the friction circle well at all. Ralf seems to bludgeon the car into going fast rather than making it dance on the limit.

Rubens has had some moments of brilliance, I have not seen any from Ralf. However being number two at Ferrari is not a good position to win race. Skill wise, Ralf in not in the top 3/4 of the current drives.

Roll on 2001! I think Ralf will win a race or two. I do not think he will ever become WDC. If there is a Williams driver who is more likely to win next year it will be Montoya. Depending on what happens with the tyre war I would not be wholly surprised to see a Williams driver win the Championship!

One thing I have to say about Ralf is that a cunning chap. I was looking at his WEB site and he gets girls to send in photo’s of themselves and he picks a “winner” to take out on a date.... S-M-O-O-T-H!

(Valve Bounce, Frank’s illness means that he has not got good control over his facial muscles that is why he seems to smile less and less as his condition advances.)
Old 21 Dec 2000, 11:06 (Ref:53620)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Sorry about that guys, I didn't know that was a problem with Frank. I meant no disrespect to his condition, nor any joke at his expense in that aspect. I have seen many refer to Frank that he never smiles even when he is winning. I just assumed that he prefers to concentrate on the job at hand. But, looking back at my post, I suppose that my comment is even more appropriate now that I read it in this light. I certainly hope that this next year WILL bring a smile back to Frank's face. Like I said:" Frank is back!!"
Going back to Ralf, I must admit that what I can see on TV, I cannot really tell all that much about his driving style. Most of the time, we get to watch GP's around midnight, and I really cannot remember that many slow motions on Ralf going round corners on the limit. However, I don't think that Frank is that dumb to pay him all that money unless he thinks that Ralf is a very good driver.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 15:03 (Ref:53653)   #21
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think RussianFriend made a very valid point. Mika was a "nearly man" for very long, I remember many people doubted that he could ever be a winner, and look at what he has achieved now. The same could happen to Ralf.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 15:16 (Ref:53655)   #22
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It means only we never know when Madam Fortune wuold decided to turn her face upon somebody.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 15:33 (Ref:53657)   #23
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
I think RussianFriend made a very valid point. Mika was a "nearly man" for very long, I remember many people doubted that he could ever be a winner, and look at what he has achieved now. The same could happen to Ralf.

R, I see your point. However... Hakkinen was a sensation when he made his debut for Lotus all those years ago. Ralf has yet to seriously impress. Yes Hakkinen was a "nearly man" for quite a while but he always had the talent. YTou only have to look at Ralf driving to know that he has not got "that" talent. He is talented but his car control is not in the upper echelons by any means.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 19:11 (Ref:53684)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
And Ralf's Girl, I am sorry for you, but I just checked your post, and you did indicate that Ralf, in one word, is rubbish.
No, I actually replied to Dino's statement that Ralf is the worst driver in the field with the word 'Rubbish'. Re-read my post and you will see a quote from Dino, which was, to be frank, completely wrong.
Old 21 Dec 2000, 19:26 (Ref:53691)   #25
Splatz
Rookie

Splatz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally with Williams, it seems victories for their drivers is determind by who Frank hates least that particular month, or should I say favours the most. Williams seems to have drivers do badly for a while then miraculously start winning for no apparent change.

If Ralf is favoured he will do really well IMO. If JPM is favoured he is a championship contender. But Ralf has proved he can race well even when out of favour, and he managed to survive the "eighth wonder of the world and supposed, genius-driver-for-the-next-decade" in Bunsen.

BMW are German and so is Ralfie so I think he'll be just fine.