Anyone who knows? No jokes please

Cheers,

Bart
Old 12 Apr 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1276208)   #2
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latest info I could find is from back in February. He was going to be named as the driver for Walker Racing (now Team Australia). I'm guessing that the people who bought Walker Racing (don't know their names, don't care to look them up) didn't want Haberfeld driving for them. Here's a link to the article... http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/15371/
Old 12 Apr 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1276229)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Mario Haberfeld:

I’ve held talks with several teams in the past three months, but I feel there are no remaining seats where I could be competitive. As such, I chose to sit out the 2005 Champ Car season.
From this SpeedTV article dated April 5.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1276277)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craig Gore and WPS are the guys who bought into Walker Racing and rebranded it as Team Australia.

At one point Mario seemed very sure of having a drive, he even tested for Walker in the preseason to help them set up one fo the new Lolas, but it seems like that deal fell through and no one else was interested, whcih is a sahme as he's done well in his 2 seasons so far. Curiously, out of all the rookies who came in at St Pete's 2 years ago, only Bourdais and Hunter-Reay remain.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1276300)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's no great loss, really - he was solid but never going to be a superstar.

I'd rather have Tagliani, to be honest.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1276310)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Mr Besnard's efforts at Gold Coast Indy last year showed Mr Haberfeld up a little... a guy with virtually no running in the car lapped within a few tenths of someone who had enjoyed seat time in the car all year.... given that the new owner of Team Australia also bought Mr Besnard's ride last year... its likely more than a coincidence that the deal fell thru...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1276316)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Haberfeld was one of the best drivers out there last season, the way he could drive the wheels off of the Reynard was impressive.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1276321)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly - but no-one else of any note was in a Reynard, so it's impossible to know just how quick it could have been.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1276341)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are certainly less capable (but better funded, other than del Monte) drivers on the grid this year, but I don't think any of the other 2004 guys who were without a seat when the music stopped could've done as well as Mario. He's a moderate loss, especially when Brazil is being targetted as a possible future market and race location.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1276381)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I feel there are no remaining seats where I could be competitive.
He could be sitting out for a very, very long time. I doubt he'd be competitive in a Renault F1. One of the most disappointing drivers since Magnussen's F1, his F3000 record was comparable with Paolo delle Piane's.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1276409)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I thought Mr Besnard's efforts at Gold Coast Indy last year showed Mr Haberfeld up a little... a guy with virtually no running in the car lapped within a few tenths of someone who had enjoyed seat time in the car all year.... given that the new owner of Team Australia also bought Mr Besnard's ride last year... its likely more than a coincidence that the deal fell thru...
I could see that arguement made for Valiente (to an extent), but not Besnard. The only time I was aware of Besnard's presence he was lapping like 2 seconds off a good pace. If you've got a listing of the lap times of Haberfeld and Besnard from Surfers I'd love to see it. I'm not critisizing Besnard, but he got where he did because of fuel stratagy.

As for generally how Haberfeld did, he we know in 2004 he typically had his Reynard ahead of faster cars, but also look at 2003 when he also perfomed well and there were other Reynards.

Last edited by Snrub; 12 Apr 2005 at 15:04.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1276545)   #12
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I find him quite a good driver. I've met him a couple of times when he was driving for Team-Astromega. His f3000 time wasn't that bad, as he was able to get on the podium on numerous occasions with the team. I agree that he coud have made more of the time when he was driving for top-teams like super-nova and mcLaren, but he had some bad luck there... It is clear that he performs better when he is in a relaxed envirement... At Team Astromega everybody was verry nice to him, and that showed in his results... He is probably one of the nicest guy in the paddock... Anyway, I hope he is able to catch a ride again... I believe that he deserves it to be back, this time in a more competitive car..
Old 12 Apr 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1276553)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

He only had 2 F3000 podiums, not numerous - and 7th in the championship in what was his 3rd or 4th season in the categiry is nothing to write home about, in my opinion.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1276555)   #14
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he comes back ever since he shoved Bruno into that wall in the beginning of 2003 I have liked him and he had a pretty good run at Laguna seca that same year. And plus he's Jewish who is half of me suppose to cheer for now.

Last edited by Tenoch; 12 Apr 2005 at 18:51.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1276569)   #15
Coops
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think he's ever been that quick in anything.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 04:49 (Ref:1276836)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He wasn't bad in Brit F3, but somehow flopped in F3000. I'm sure that bad accident where he broke his leg in F3000 didn't help.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1276911)   #17
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besnard V Haberfeld

According to the Champ Car World series web site Besnard's fastest lap at Surfers Paradise was 1:36.832 on lap 46. Haberfeld 1:37.049 on lap 26
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1277035)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Tenoch, why don't you cheer for Kanaan in the other series? At least he's a winner rather than an above-average battler. All the same, Haberfeld was British F3 champion, so he's certainly got some ability - F3000 doesn't work out for everyone, Albers flopped against Webber far worse than Mario did and he's still doing quite well (better than F3000 race winner Friesacher) at Minardi.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1277344)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb
According to the Champ Car World series web site Besnard's fastest lap at Surfers Paradise was 1:36.832 on lap 46. Haberfeld 1:37.049 on lap 26
That's true, but keep in mind that Haberfeld had some rather unusual circumstances that race (spun, etc).
Old 13 Apr 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1277398)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Tenoch, why don't you cheer for Kanaan in the other series? At least he's a winner rather than an above-average battler. All the same, Haberfeld was British F3 champion, so he's certainly got some ability - F3000 doesn't work out for everyone, Albers flopped against Webber far worse than Mario did and he's still doing quite well (better than F3000 race winner Friesacher) at Minardi.
I do I just meant in this series.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1279633)   #21
trout
Rookie

Canada
Winnipeg. Manitoba
trout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haberfeld had some very good runs in the Mi-Jack and the Walker Reynard cars. It is a shame he is not there this year. I hope we see him soon and in a Lola at that!