Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Mar 2016, 02:37 (Ref:3621406)   #6651
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
He's giving Porsche a little too much credit . With only 8 days of f1 testing Mercedes (and everyone else) needs big mileage while it's available.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3621596)   #6652
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 08:14 (Ref:3621789)   #6653
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Interesting article:
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/form...s-w06-f1-car#1
Old 10 Mar 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3621853)   #6654
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The difference in cornering speed is surprisingly small considering that the Porsche ran LeMans level of downforce at Spa, while if memory serves my right the Merc had comparatively more downforce to what is usually used for Spa.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3621873)   #6655
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who designs the article layouts on that page? Little pieces of text on each slide that you have to fiddle through for no reason. Horrendous.

But it is interesting. The argument that F1 would be speeded up if LMP1 started going faster is incorrect though, they'd just slow down P1 (as they have again...)
Old 11 Mar 2016, 00:31 (Ref:3622007)   #6656
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct Chiana! They don't need to speed up F1(I heard all the more recent attempts are delayed or failed), they'll just keep slowing down LMP1s, disgracefully.

The article layout doesn't surprise me, I have seen such thing in lot's of sites. The most annoying thing for me is when a incorrect info is written as on this part:
Quote:
An F1 car is allowed to deploy 4MJ per lap, but only through a nozzle 161bhp wide, if you see what I mean. The Porsche has twice the electric reserves
8MJ LMP1(like Porsche) will have ~5MJ on most places outside of LM(6.37MJ at Spa).

It was also wrong in saying Porsche would be last on the grid of all common tracks because 919 outqualified 1 or 2 Marussias at Shanghai(Bahrain too? I don't remember)
Quote:
Will LMP1 cars ever be faster than F1 cars? Doubtful. F1 cars now are slower than they were 10 years ago, and if LMP1 lap times start to genuinely rival them, doubtless F1 regulations will be altered to maintain the advantage.
I'm pretty sure Audi would outpace Mercedes at Silverstone this year, if it wasn't for the disgraceful 10MJ reduction. I hope that still can happen(race pace gap was ~3.5s, last year)

This part is funny:
Quote:
"And then what we have in our favour is 4WD and fantastic Michelin tyres - we can really lean them, they’re so much better than the tissue paper we had in F1." Mark Webber

Last edited by Artur; 11 Mar 2016 at 00:58.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 03:26 (Ref:3622034)   #6657
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Lmp vs f1 is pointless. They're difference in weight and engine power ensures f1 is quicker. Then they have drs zones to boost top speed.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 05:39 (Ref:3622050)   #6658
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The fact that magazines such as top gear feel they want to write about it is interesting in itself
Old 11 Mar 2016, 05:48 (Ref:3622052)   #6659
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The fact that magazines such as top gear feel they want to write about it is interesting in itself
100% Agreed!
The ACO needs to take note: The only reason that a magazine such as Top Gear want to write about this, is because LMP1 is beginning to be seen as a credible alternative to F1 (for the drivers and some fans). If the ACO persist in their silly path of constantly slowing down the cars whilst F1 speeds up (as they intend doing in 2017 and beyond), LMP1 will cease to be a credible alternative. Lesson to be learned: DO NOT SHOOT THE GOOSE THAT LAYS THE GOLDEN EGGS!!!!

(p.s) If ACO is really concerned about safety, then take serious measures to improve driving standards in the AM class(es).
Old 11 Mar 2016, 07:23 (Ref:3622067)   #6660
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
100% Agreed!
The ACO needs to take note: The only reason that a magazine such as Top Gear want to write about this, is because LMP1 is beginning to be seen as a credible alternative to F1 (for the drivers and some fans). If the ACO persist in their silly path of constantly slowing down the cars whilst F1 speeds up (as they intend doing in 2017 and beyond), LMP1 will cease to be a credible alternative. Lesson to be learned: DO NOT SHOOT THE GOOSE THAT LAYS THE GOLDEN EGGS!!!!

(p.s) If ACO is really concerned about safety, then take serious measures to improve driving standards in the AM class(es).
As i have said before if the ACO is so safety driven there will be no AM drivers in a championship of this calibre. Almost all big shunts that have happened recently have been due to an AM driver.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3622084)   #6661
Deleted
Veteran

You mean we shouldn't implement LMGTE-AM-AM sub class for Bronze-only drivers driving Ferrari Challenge cars?
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3622135)   #6662
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Well this is a bit of a surprise...

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/h...-lmp1-program/
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3622136)   #6663
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Well this is a bit of a surprise...

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/h...-lmp1-program/
I can't seem to open the page. Anything earth shattering?
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:26 (Ref:3622137)   #6664
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is not good at all!! Loosing Hitzinger is a huge blow.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:36 (Ref:3622142)   #6665
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Something smells fishy! He is leaving at the end of this month. This is far too short notice. Hopefully the 2016 car is not a disaster.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3622143)   #6666
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This is not good at all!! Loosing Hitzinger is a huge blow.
No it is not! I cannot see his departure as anything but negative. I imagine those within the hierarchy were aware of this, or atleast hope so as to afford a contingency plan. Porsche could really use some semblance of continuity when we speak of those in pivotal roles. My fear is more for the second half of the season and beyond.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3622144)   #6667
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I find this very strange indeed! It's not normal for someone to leave a team after an extraordinary season unless there are some very compelling reasons. What ever these reasons are, it is a bitter blow to Porsche and I now have serious doubts about any success in the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 14:50 (Ref:3622145)   #6668
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Something smells fishy! He is leaving at the end of this month. This is far too short notice. Hopefully the 2016 car is not a disaster.
I agree. It seems rather strange. We could really start speculating here. I just hope it wasn't due to differing ideologies toward the future. He is a true leader with vision and the experience to back it up. If he is indeed leaving because of what is essentially written on the wall at Porsche or VAG, we are in trouble. The best scenario is that he was presented with an opportunity of which he could not resist. I don't know whether he is a family man. This is about the only thing which would somewhat ease my worries.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 15:10 (Ref:3622146)   #6669
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I asked Roman Wittemeier (Motorsport Total) what was the real story behind this, and his answer was as follows:
"I'd say this IS the real story. After many years in motorsports and such great times at Porsche...".
Old 11 Mar 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3622167)   #6670
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Trying to keep things optimistic: isn't this what's called "going out on a high"? And let's not forget drivers announcing retirements right before or right after what would be their last race.

Let's not panic yet. It's not like there's a shortage of talent in that team that can take over that position.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 17:03 (Ref:3622178)   #6671
TF110
Veteran

United States
They'll be fine. Porsche have lots of talented people.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3622186)   #6672
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Or perhaps they've known for longer and didn't rush to tell us? He's just decidedly do something different.

Or he's decided sportscar racing is terrible, what with all the EoT, crap circuits, long calendar, 10% less fuel energy allocation. His doctor told him to leave for his health.

Or, as you say, the car is terrible and they have really sacked him, but keeping him around till the end of the month to rub it in.
Quote:
I asked Roman Wittemeier (Motorsport Total) what was the real story behind this, and his answer was as follows:
"I'd say this IS the real story. After many years in motorsports and such great times at Porsche...".
I recon it's the first one, but have sarcasm fever.

i don't know that much about him, but he's had decent success and seems a decent chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Let's not panic yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Mar 2016 at 17:43.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3622194)   #6673
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I seem to remember that in the off season last year, there was a bit of panic over Porsche changing around a lot in the company and searching for new personal.
They obviously did great .

There is a lot of reasons for a person to leave a company, both professionally and most of all personally. I don't read anything in that article suggestion that there is any bad terms between him and Porsche.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3622199)   #6674
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
The "problem" is that Hitzinger was just not any member of staff. He was the CTO. The entire concept of the car is really his baby. I don't know if there are others on the tech team that can step up and take over, but I do think it is silly to be dismissive of the importance that this will have in the upcoming and 2017 seasons . If Porsche gets someone from outside, they will surely have their own ideas, and changes of direction (in development) can be (in the short and medium term) costly and counter productive to the project as a whole.
Hopefully there is someone currently within the team that can take over and provide the technical leadership that will guarantee success.
Old 11 Mar 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3622202)   #6675
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The "problem" is that Hitzinger was just not any member of staff. He was the CTO. The entire concept of the car is really his baby. I don't know if there are others on the tech team that can step up and take over, but I do think it is silly to be dismissive of the importance that this will have in the upcoming and 2017 seasons . If Porsche gets someone from outside, they will surely have their own ideas, and changes of direction (in development) can be (in the short and medium term) costly and counter productive to the project as a whole.
Hopefully there is someone currently within the team that can take over and provide the technical leadership that will guarantee success.
I am not down playing the importance of him leaving, but this is something which could have been planned for months, maybe even a year, meaning that Porsche would have sufficient time to plan what is going to happen.
Nothing indicates that Hitzingers exit is on bad terms, meaning it was probably know for some time internally.