Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2001, 14:55 (Ref:61926)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad they are suffering from some technical difficulties, hopefully they'll have things sorted out soon.

Old 2 Feb 2001, 15:20 (Ref:61933)   #2
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very nice looking car
Old 2 Feb 2001, 16:41 (Ref:61948)   #3
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I expect Arrows to be dead last this year... Even if they have some speed I hold no hope of the AMT engine being reliable. If it is a development of the supertec it could shake the chassis to pieces! The ealy signs are not good.. first lap, one engine on fire!
Old 2 Feb 2001, 17:31 (Ref:61956)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
It was'nt the engine, the exhaust was to close to the bodywork, when they fixed that Jos completed several 3 lap runs, without any problems.... ( http://www.autosport.com )
Old 2 Feb 2001, 18:33 (Ref:61964)   #5
garyegrant
Rookie

garyegrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear both Arrows and Minardi getting into trouble with the 107% rule, especially at the first race. Lets hope they both get sorted out in time, because 18 car grids aren't good for anyone.
I don't suppose it helps that Arrows have replaced PDLR with a vastly inferior driver, and that Pedro doesn't seem that interested in going to Minardi. The grid will be poorer without him.
Old 2 Feb 2001, 19:29 (Ref:61969)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
According to Jos (he drove 15 laps with the car in the afternoon, without problems) the A22 is a large improvement on the A21, it's less nervous in the bends, and easier to drive over the curbs, and the straight line speed is about the same as last year, so it seems that Arrows will have no problem qualifying.

BTW: Bernoldi is setting some pretty impressive times in the A21 prototype, 1.20.9 yesterday and 1.20.6 today, maybe he could be the surprise of the season.
Old 2 Feb 2001, 19:34 (Ref:61971)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
More Pic's:

Old 2 Feb 2001, 19:48 (Ref:61980)   #8
Tris
Racer

Did I say the engine had blown? THey will have had to build the car to be strong so that the engine vibrations do not affect it so much.. Then the car will be slow as it will be heavy. Ala BAR in 2000
Old 2 Feb 2001, 20:20 (Ref:61993)   #9
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beautiful, as any F1 would be without gobs of stickers, decals and graphics.
Old 2 Feb 2001, 20:51 (Ref:62011)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
I think you're confused Tris, Arrows used the Supertec last year, and wil use the AMT engine this year, the AMT is a development of the Peugeot enigine, and has done many laps already in the A21 prototype. BAR used the Supertec in 99 and not in 2000 when they had a Honda engine.
Old 2 Feb 2001, 21:31 (Ref:62029)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks nice. I think Arrows will be battling with Minardi this year, as Sauber, Jaguar and Prost will have lifted their game, making it harder for Arrows to get any points.
Old 3 Feb 2001, 00:55 (Ref:62088)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say that I agree. I'm not optimistic about the durability of the AMT. Arrows will be facing improved Jaguar, Prost and Sauber. It's gonna be ugly, and I hope I'm wrong.

(Car looks great though for all the reasons Neil mentioned)
Old 3 Feb 2001, 03:08 (Ref:62108)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Was it me?

I put a hex on TWR and next minute the Arrows catches fire!! Next: TWR will go bald before the end of this season.
Old 3 Feb 2001, 05:25 (Ref:62120)   #14
Tris
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
I think you're confused Tris, Arrows used the Supertec last year, and wil use the AMT engine this year, the AMT is a development of the Peugeot enigine, and has done many laps already in the A21 prototype. BAR used the Supertec in 99 and not in 2000 when they had a Honda engine.
D'oh! I am getting confused. But what i said still applies. I still believe that AMT may have difficulties in producing a smooth running, high revving engine. The only really good first attempt at an engine in recent years was the BMW and that had two years of development before it was raced. AMT are still learning. I would not get too hopeful about the AMT engine.. Remember last years Mercedes engine was bullet proof in testing. Just because it is a development of the Peugeot does not mean it will be reliable. The Peugeot was a dog last year, they will be looking for performance and then that's when they go boom, so to speak. So what do we have.. another “building year” from Arrows I am not surprised they are having problems with money!

Besides, I am rapidly going off Arrows. I do not like the way Walkinshaw dropped Salo for Takagi and he has shafted de la Rosa. I also think Walkinshaw was instrumental in certain tactics (wink wink) at Benetton in 1994.
Old 3 Feb 2001, 06:40 (Ref:62122)   #15
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Don't forget, he dropped Jos for Diniz in 97, and after that Peter Sauber did'nt keep his word to Jos.
Don't get me wron, I feel sorry for Pedro, but Jos has been there already (Benetton 95, Arrows 97, Sauber 97, Tyrell 98), what can you do about it, that's f1!
Old 3 Feb 2001, 09:08 (Ref:62128)   #16
Tris
Racer

Jos is one of the squandered talents of F1. my most enduring memory of him to me was his legendary performance at Interlagos in 1996. After setting all those super fast laps in the wet.. That was amazing! I was really disappointed when he retires from the race. Verstappen came in the pits to retire after his engine had conked out. Arrows engine supplier; Brain Hart was not amused. Jos had driven the car into the pits when he should have parked it on the circuit. “To keep his bloody boots dry he has turned a £200 failure into £180,000 write off.” Hart fumed. D’oh! (_8(|)

I think if Jos had been put in a nurturing environment like at Jordan he would have done better. OK Steward was like this but they only had eyes for Rubhino. ;( having said that If I had to have gotten rid of Jos or Pedro... tough call. Jos has paid his dues that is for sure. Walkinshaw is a ***tard though. And people saw Head and Williams are bad!