Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Sep 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2539908)   #76
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger View Post
Unless anybody know's if I can sign on later on in the day?.
That shouldn't be a problem. Just let the Chief Marshal know at what time you're likely to arrive, go to Race Control and sign on and he'll allocate you to a post. The C/M for this event is Alan Tyson, aka Pieman, here on ''tenths''.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2539939)   #77
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
That shouldn't be a problem. Just let the Chief Marshal know at what time you're likely to arrive, go to Race Control and sign on and he'll allocate you to a post. The C/M for this event is Alan Tyson, aka Pieman, here on ''tenths''.
cheers chris for telling me. Might do it now but will think about it 1st. Will just be interesting to see what it is like at night.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2539977)   #78
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a fantastic weekend at pedestrian bridge (ignoring the Formula Le Mans races). The 1000k race was an absolute corker, you really didn't know who was going to win until the chequered flag fell. Quiet for us on the incident side of things-just an oil slick during CER quali and a Radical decided to lose his exhaust on the pit straight. Plus the unfortunate LMP2 winning Lola who was celebrating with his team by the pit wall, only to be clobbered from behind by another car, ripping the back left corner off & scattering it all over the track! Just what you need at the end of the day. Roll on 2010!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2539986)   #79
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great day , right arm's a bit sore from all that blueing, but great fun at Chapple
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2540008)   #80
Rich207
Rookie

England
Sheffield
Rich207 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Great day , right arm's a bit sore from all that blueing, but great fun at Chapple
Had a fantastic day flagging on Post 8 with Neil (again), Isn`t Le Mans Blueing Brilliant......

How good was that race over 196 Laps with so many twists and turns... Talk about keep you on your toes.....

Rich
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2540018)   #81
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Superb week-end at Luffield Out, and what a laugh with the irrepressible Jean as my co-flaggie. Real good fun and a good job done too.

FLeMans just need another 20 and some improved driving standards. Two off before Beckets on the first out-lap, lost count of the number of times 4 revolved or 12 hit someone. Dire. The luck of cars made it tedious, so even when there was some good racing the interest had gone.

CER were wonderful. Gorgeous cars, fantastic noise, some good racing. 36 just needs a lesson on yellow flags, or better still a few days on the bank. Got a well-deserved drive through, and I understand he was making hand signals on the way in. Quite correct too, as that's what I thought he was as well.

The main event was excellent, enlivened by some... forthright commentary by John Hindhaugh. If only more commentators were so politically incorrect, opinionated and just plain funny. Wonderful stuff, keep it up, John. Shame #13 lost out in the end, but why on earth don't they make louvres out of something more substantial? Cracking race, 16 lead changes meant Audis and Peugeots were not missed at all.

Looking forward to next year already!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2540063)   #82
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can I say that has not already been said. Oh has anyone mentioned the HOWMET TX 1967? No11 in the CER race. Still the world's only turbine powered race winner.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2540221)   #83
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed Saturday on Woodcote Link though got a bit lonely during the not so interesting FLM races. Though the first one did liven up after the pit stops.

The CER race, all those gorgoues cars on the grid and on the rolling start! That gas turbine car sounded very odd. Thought a jet had landed on the grid at the start. Thanks Frenchie for the details. Wondering what it was.

Sunday I was on Vale. Enjoyed the company and it was nice to have someone to talk to. Loved the race, number 16 charge from the back to the front in the first hour, fantastic! Shame he wrecked the gearbox doing it...
So much blue flagging, and the yellow got a fair bit of use when they cars went in backwards, or tried to exit backwards... Including Mansell himself.

Looking forward to next year
Old 14 Sep 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2540317)   #84
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great weekend's marshalling - thanks to all at Brooklands. It always amazes me how some drivers are so keen / stupid / asleep / that they spin as they leave the assembly area!
The Howmet (No. 11 Gas Turbine in the CER) drove into the gravel twice at Luffield Centre and was hauled out both times by Mark in the JCB. After the second time he declined to rejoin, even though the car was fine. "I give up" was his comment.

We also had the unusual sight of a radical entering the assembly area via the bottom gate rather than by the medical centre. He hit a bump as he came in, which deposited his mechanic off the side of the car onto the ground, then shot straight out onto the track and round to the grid - much to the surprise of all officials.

We won't talk about the checkcalls on Sunday morning will we Mark/Nick? It certainly had Pete lost for words in Race Control, though he recovered well!

Looking forward to next year, hopefully with more cars in Formula Le Mans, or less time given to them.

Gerry
Old 14 Sep 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2540339)   #85
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I had a fantastic weekend at pedestrian bridge (ignoring the Formula Le Mans races). The 1000k race was an absolute corker, you really didn't know who was going to win until the chequered flag fell. Quiet for us on the incident side of things-just an oil slick during CER quali and a Radical decided to lose his exhaust on the pit straight. Plus the unfortunate LMP2 winning Lola who was celebrating with his team by the pit wall, only to be clobbered from behind by another car, ripping the back left corner off & scattering it all over the track! Just what you need at the end of the day. Roll on 2010!
Just like to echo Steve's thoughts of a great weekend at ped' bridge, even though my right arm is twicw the size of my left, due to the amont of blue flagging. Only 3 incidents of note. hope the driver of the Radical is OK, who hit the large piece of exhaust, although (fortunately) I don't believe it hit him. It's the first time I've used a debris fence to avoid the shower of bodywork!
During the 1000kms we had a car stop, all but briefly, in the middle of the pit straight, and as for the incident after the chequered flag
Shame they didn't have the CER race on the Sunday. I'm sure the crowd would have enjoyed it as much as we did.
Thanks to Kev and all the incident guys over the weekend.
Great to meet you at last Steve.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2540409)   #86
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That bit of exhaust could have proved lethal; grateful thanks to the team for getting it moved. The driver of the car that hit it was "shaken not stirred"! The driver who got lost on his way to the grid and dumped his mechanic on his a*** now knows the error of his ways! I was Race Director for the Radicals.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2540438)   #87
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGWC View Post
That bit of exhaust could have proved lethal; grateful thanks to the team for getting it moved. The driver of the car that hit it was "shaken not stirred"! The driver who got lost on his way to the grid and dumped his mechanic on his a*** now knows the error of his ways! I was Race Director for the Radicals.
Thanks for the info about the driver that hit the exhaust. I was the flag marshal close by and, as it hadn't passed me, I could only wave a green flag and point at it. It was also a long way from the previous post, who obviously couldn't tell what it was and chose to stick out a change of surface flag. Once it had been clobbered further down the track, I was waving the yellow as hard as I could, seemed to work.
You're right, it could have been Massaesque or even worse. The guys removed it as soon as they had notification of a big enough gap in the traffic.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2540538)   #88
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Great to meet you at last Steve.
Likewise Nick.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, one of the highlights of the weekend was being on the grid for the build up to the 1000k race. Spotted David Richards, Henri Pescarolo, Nigel Mansell and, best of the lot, the Michelin Man
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2540546)   #89
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Likewise Nick.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, one of the highlights of the weekend was being on the grid for the build up to the 1000k race. Spotted David Richards, Henri Pescarolo, Nigel Mansell and, best of the lot, the Michelin Man
You trying to tell us you weren't looking at all the girls!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2540553)   #90
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, i'm sure based on the conversation home he was... I was a little upset to have been moved from Woodcote Link, I missed the girls... and the cars I suppose
Old 14 Sep 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2540561)   #91
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
as for the incident after the chequered flag
That was an interesting one... happened right in front of me. http://latphoto.co.uk/thumbnails/200...jpg?1252886995
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2540656)   #92
Zider Drinker
Rookie

England
Playing trains on Gods Wonderful Railway
Zider Drinker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryc View Post
We also had the unusual sight of a radical entering the assembly area via the bottom gate rather than by the medical centre. He hit a bump as he came in, which deposited his mechanic off the side of the car onto the ground, then shot straight out onto the track and round to the grid - much to the surprise of all officials.
Ah thats where he came from... I was at the back of the grid, and wondered what he was doing there (look of bemusement from me and Fay when he came round Luffield!!!).

It was totally deserved that he stalled and we had to push him down pitlane as it wouldn't go
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2540661)   #93
morwenna
Racer

morwenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer View Post
That was an interesting one... happened right in front of me. http://latphoto.co.uk/thumbnails/200...jpg?1252886995

No!! Didn't realise it was that car - that and the #13 were the best looking cars out there!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2540663)   #94
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
You trying to tell us you weren't looking at all the girls!
The beauty of mirrored sunglasses
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2540672)   #95
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer View Post
Fantastic photo. Looks like a guy on the pit wall got it on video-hope that pops up on youtube.

Bit of an odd one really-the Lola had stopped by his team for quite a while, about a minute. Don't know if he had a problem or was just carried away by the moment. But the car that hit him (I think it was the Signature Plus car) should have seen him earlier (he did spot him at the last minute and swerved). I got the feeling from the commentator's comments that the Signature car has been guilty of a similiar incident already this year. If so, I hope the stewards came down hard on him this time-the Lola was a complete mess.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2540713)   #96
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
had a brill 3 days. friday at stowe, sat on vale in and sunday at bridge.thanks two everyone i had been on post with over the weekend.

the flms was disapointing but the rest made up for it. roll on next year.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2540836)   #97
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks again to everybody for their efforts this weekend, including those who didn't volunteer for it but ended up helping out in the pits - where have all the pit marshals gone?

I'm glad you all enjoyed it as least as much as I did even though I didn't get to see very much due to a long list of behind the scenes jobs, including checking the lights and torches ready for the Britcar weekend next month. I was able to listen to the great commentary and echo the comments already made. I laughed out loud when JH asked his colleague in the pit lane to find the chequered flag and hide it so that the CER race could not end.

The incident after the LMS finish was a reminder that we marshals must always be vigilant and expect the unexpected.

Well done to everybody.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2541042)   #98
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
The incident after the LMS finish was a reminder that we marshals must always be vigilant and expect the unexpected.
The same should go for drivers as well!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2541100)   #99
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alan, we've had this discussion before about the lack of pit marshals for events such as these and you know my views so I shan't bore you with them again! LOL!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2541121)   #100
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
In that situation, which would have been the appropriate flag to wave?

The initial car is slow or has stopped, but it appears not to be an 'incident' so should the white flag be shown - for a slow moving car or service vehicle?

After it got hit, of course, it becomes a yellow flag.