Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Sep 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2541162)   #101
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it had stopped, a yellow to warn drivers of a stopped car. Even if it after the flag. I guess if it is moving very slowley a white would have been appropriate.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2541182)   #102
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
Thanks again to everybody for their efforts this weekend, including those who didn't volunteer for it but ended up helping out in the pits - where have all the pit marshals gone?
Jan really enjoyed herself in pits, so hopefully I can persuade her she'd like to do a little more of that.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2541226)   #103
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
In that situation, which would have been the appropriate flag to wave?

The initial car is slow or has stopped, but it appears not to be an 'incident' so should the white flag be shown - for a slow moving car or service vehicle?

After it got hit, of course, it becomes a yellow flag.
May I say, as the lone flag man on the nearest flag point, that I was also the repeater for the chequered flag. I was therefore concentrating on the cars coming towards me and waving the chequered flag. As this means the end of the race, there were a number of cars who were slowing down after having seen the main chequered flag.
I did not realise car 33 had stopped, behind me, until just before the incident and waved a yellow flag immediately afterwards.
I may also add that the driver of car 12 may not have seen my yellow flag, had I waved it beforehand, because he was driving alongside the pit wall, while slowing down, looking at his team, on the opposite side to the track from me. Otherwise, at the speed he was doing, he would surely have noticed that car 33 had stopped sooner.
Fortunately car 12 had slowed down otherwise this incident would have been a lot more serious to both drivers and all the mechanics leaning over the fence.
I don't know what the rules are about cars stopping on the track, in such manner, after the chequered flag, but I think this was a lesson to both drivers and myself.
"It ain't over till it's over..."
Old 15 Sep 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2541311)   #104
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The incident after the LMS finish was a reminder that we marshals must always be vigilant and expect the unexpected.
Especially at Ped Bridge! This was the second meeting that I've marshalled at this post and have had 3 incidents to deal with-every one after the chequered flag!!!

At the Brit F3/GT meeting last year, a FFord took the flag, then decided to 'test his steering', lost the back end and slid down the grass and into the wall opposite the pits. Then, during the VW Cup race, 2 Golfs came across the line side by side, made contact just after the flag sending Sean Edwards into the wall, bouncing off and clobbering the angled wall (by the gap just before the bridge) side on.

Then we had the collision on Sunday

I felt a bit sorry for the 007 Aston though-he took the chequered flag in 3rd, securing the title, slowed down along the pit wall to celebrate with his team....to find absolutely no one there!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2541377)   #105
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Especially at Ped Bridge! This was the second meeting that I've marshalled at this post and have had 3 incidents to deal with-every one after the chequered flag!!!
Now you bloody tell me!!!!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2541456)   #106
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Now you bloody tell me!!!!
Yeah, suppose I should have mentioned that earlier
Old 15 Sep 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2541471)   #107
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks to everybody at Copse over the weekend. Certainly woke us all up first thing on Friday when FLeMans car came out of pits at green flag, lit up his cold tyres and straight into the barrier on the inside! And apologies for not curtseying to his Lordship in Aston 87 when he hit the barriers on the outside on Saturday!

First FLeMans race wasn't too bad but the second was a bit of a procession. No idea what happened in the first Radical race as we were busy snatching two cars (5 spun on lap one and was hit by 42). 42 had no steering and took a good 10 mins to get through the gap. I apologise to the team for my comment "well done guys - nice slick work there!".

Bill certainly appreciated the occasional visit during the main race so he could have a bit of a sit down and rest his arm - and I was glad to do a small bit of blue flagging on my way back from the loo, because my right arm was really twitching. (Note to self - even if it means you can sit down, observing endurance events ain't really your scene.)

And thanks also to Luke, Abby and Sue in Race Control - great job all round and I did speak to them a fair bit over the weekend (especially with open line on lap 1 of each race).

And I reckon on Saturday it was about Gas Mark 8 in the Copse box - so next time anybody wants any pies heating up, they know where to take them
Old 17 Sep 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2542801)   #108
ScuderiaChivs
Rookie

ScuderiaChivs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks again to everybody for their efforts this weekend, including those who didn't volunteer for it but ended up helping out in the pits - where have all the pit marshals gone?

Well done to everybody.
Completely agree! I want to say a huge thank you to everybody who helped out in the pits over the course of the weekend. You were all brilliant and the ACO guys I spoke to at the end of the day were very pleased with our work in the pits! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did and hope to see some of you again in the pits at some point in the near future! Thanks again!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2542942)   #109
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a great weekend, on Farm Inside on friday and Chapel Inside Sat and Sunday.

Interesting to read about the exhaust near Ped Bridge, we had a bit too, wonder if it was the same car? Luckily ours just missed the car behind and bounced onto the grass, got a little concerned when the grass then started smoking though!

Good fun chasing number 40 down Hangar Straight too, he crawled round Becketts only to stop at the very edge of the circuit in front of us, we tried to find a gap but they were pretty non-existent so ran out to push him, he had instructions to steer into the barriers, but as we pushed he got started and drove off....only to stop again just before the bridge. Off we all ran after him, called recovery, along comes Daisy and just as Annie was about to attach the tow rope, off he went again! He wasnt a popular boy
Old 17 Sep 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2543009)   #110
Peter Sinclair
Rookie

France
East Grinstead, West Sussex
Peter Sinclair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual, a fantastic weekend and an interesting one in the pits. Now Le Mans 2010??????????????
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2543039)   #111
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles View Post
Interesting to read about the exhaust near Ped Bridge, we had a bit too, wonder if it was the same carr?
I heard that it dropped another piece halfway round the circuit, so it probably was. The poor guy who hit the piece at ped bridge never stood a chance-he was slipstreaming another car who saw it at the last minute & swerved. Our guy who ran out & picked it up burnt his hand on it, even with welders gauntlets on! Should be a warning to marshals who wear thinner mechanic style gloves.

As for car #40 -he nearly stopped with us twice aswell. He eventually stopped at Vale, in a really dangerous place, and when the marshals tried to push him to safety, he got beached on the kerbs and had to get towed by a fire tender!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2543072)   #112
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had a great weekend, on Farm Inside on friday and Chapel Inside Sat and Sunday.

Good fun chasing number 40 down Hangar Straight too, he crawled round Becketts only to stop at the very edge of the circuit in front of us, we tried to find a gap but they were pretty non-existent so ran out to push him, he had instructions to steer into the barriers, but as we pushed he got started and drove off....only to stop again just before the bridge. Off we all ran after him, called recovery, along comes Daisy and just as Annie was about to attach the tow rope, off he went again! He wasnt a popular boy
Spotted a pic earlier on,would this be your exploits ?
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...70#post1893870
Old 17 Sep 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2543088)   #113
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for car #40 -he nearly stopped with us twice aswell. He eventually stopped at Vale, in a really dangerous place, and when the marshals tried to push him to safety, he got beached on the kerbs and had to get towed by a fire tender!
He was towed, ironically by the rockingham break down as we don't have a fire tender on that side of the circuit. Made us chuckle on flags though as we were debating if we had a breakdown our side at all and what would they do if someone broke down.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2543471)   #114
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I heard that it dropped another piece halfway round the circuit, so it probably was. The poor guy who hit the piece at ped bridge never stood a chance-he was slipstreaming another car who saw it at the last minute & swerved. Our guy who ran out & picked it up burnt his hand on it, even with welders gauntlets on! Should be a warning to marshals who wear thinner mechanic style gloves.
Indeed. Anything that falls off a car should be kicked out of the way as it may be (very) hot. Another reason for wearing stout footwear.
Old 18 Sep 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2543591)   #115
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer View Post
Spotted a pic earlier on,would this be your exploits ?
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...70#post1893870
yep that would be me, great action shot
Old 19 Sep 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2544019)   #116
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzers1986 View Post
the rockingham break down
Daisy? - I know she still carries Rockingham decals but I've not seen her there for ages.

Quote:
yep that would be me, great action shot
Yes great shot, but who is that on the ground? Or have they brided you not to say?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2544041)   #117
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryc View Post
A great weekend's marshalling - thanks to all at Brooklands. It always amazes me how some drivers are so keen / stupid / asleep / that they spin as they leave the assembly area!
The Howmet (No. 11 Gas Turbine in the CER) drove into the gravel twice at Luffield Centre and was hauled out both times by Mark in the JCB. After the second time he declined to rejoin, even though the car was fine. "I give up" was his comment.

We also had the unusual sight of a radical entering the assembly area via the bottom gate rather than by the medical centre. He hit a bump as he came in, which deposited his mechanic off the side of the car onto the ground, then shot straight out onto the track and round to the grid - much to the surprise of all officials.

We won't talk about the checkcalls on Sunday morning will we Mark/Nick? It certainly had Pete lost for words in Race Control, though he recovered well!

Looking forward to next year, hopefully with more cars in Formula Le Mans, or less time given to them.

Gerry
Yes, we heard peter's comment over the radio the second time No11 went in the gravel at Luffield Centre. Ha HA.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2544042)   #118
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I learnt that lesson at the MSVR meeting that was arranged from Donington. Same thing happened. I think its a case of, if in doubt, KICK IT.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2544049)   #119
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post
I learnt that lesson at the MSVR meeting that was arranged from Donington. Same thing happened. I think its a case of, if in doubt, KICK IT.
To be fair, it was during the race that my colleague ran out to retrieve the exhaust (the I/O was waiting for race control to give him the all clear) so he had to pick it up. Plus, it had fallen off the car several minutes earlier so one would have thought it had cooled down a bit!
Old 20 Sep 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2544421)   #120
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair, it was during the race that my colleague ran out to retrieve the exhaust (the I/O was waiting for race control to give him the all clear) so he had to pick it up. Plus, it had fallen off the car several minutes earlier so one would have thought it had cooled down a bit!
Main thing to remember is that the marshal concerned did a great job. This was a fairly lethal piece of debris - I spoke to the guy who hit it! My thanks (as Clerk) and from all Radical drivers to whomsoever moved this piece of exhaust before it caused anyone serious personal damage.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2545979)   #121
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Tickets arrived yesterday, see you all on Friday!
Old 22 Sep 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2545990)   #122
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a bit late?
Maybe a couple of weeks too late?
Old 22 Sep 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2545991)   #123
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Tickets arrived yesterday, see you all on Friday!
Guaranteed camping spot & quite post for the weekend ??

Old 22 Sep 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2546140)   #124
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Along with everybody else.....BSB this w/end
Old 22 Sep 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2546142)   #125
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Along with everybody else.....BSB this w/end
Will my LMS tickets get me in Chris?