Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 30 Jan 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3362291)   #151
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmacnzl View Post
And what about those Camry's.Those TRD engines from the States cant have been cheap? And what about the development of the body panels? If I want to buy and run a TLX Camry, dont tell me it will be more affordable than a ST....
I was talking about running cost. . rather than the cost to build a car. Anyone got the numbers of how many kms a NZV8 clocks up a season compared to a V8ST?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3362316)   #152
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXtreme View Post
As for the TRD motors, yes they are most expensive than the common LS Chevy but no where near the 'rumoured' price that everyone loves to throw around.
Possibly not, but I did say "Rumour has it..."
Old 30 Jan 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3362322)   #153
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
tacmanzl. If you showed up on my door and asked for a Camry TLX, I'd say sure mate and it would cost you the same amount as a Commodore or a Falcon, bar the engine. If on the other hand you showed up and said I want to build/introduce a Audi A6 with a Audi V8, then you would be up for paying for the development costs.
As for the TRD motors, yes they are most expensive than the common LS Chevy but no where near the 'rumoured' price that everyone loves to throw around.

Cheers
Nick
So are you willing to let us know what that cost would be - and give us a range of prices for the different engines?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3362324)   #154
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
I was talking about running cost. . rather than the cost to build a car. Anyone got the numbers of how many kms a NZV8 clocks up a season compared to a V8ST?
Should be able to work it out if nobody is willing to do it for you - number of rounds x distance per lap at each circuit + testing/qualifying. With the enduro events an ST would cover a whole lot more km than an NZV8, but then that gives sponsors much more bang for the buck so you would be justified in charging a higher price for it.

I would bet the Hankook tyres are an excellent option when it comes to running costs.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3362328)   #155
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
MRXtreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Possibly not, but I did say "Rumour has it..."
Yep and we all know people would much rather believe a rumour than the truth. It's far more interesting.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3362329)   #156
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
One of the TLX cars covered over 2500kms last season.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3362332)   #157
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
So are you willing to let us know what that cost would be - and give us a range of prices for the different engines?
There are not enough hours in a day to put that price together.
Put it this way, if someone could align themselves with a Aus team that had already done most of the development that would save a huge amount of coin.
LS3 approx. $11,500
Coyote approx. $14,000
TRD approx. $##,000
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:09 (Ref:3362351)   #158
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ST numbers may have dropped due to sponsorship shortfalls. Still remains a fact that there are 21 (+?) built. Likewise it remains a fact that there are only 6 TLX built.

If I was in the position to want to purchase a NZ top flight V8, i would have a hell of alot easier time getting a ST than a TLX Camry for example, wouldn't I.

Full credit to the NZV8TC lads to slowly rebuilding their TL field, but as has been pointed out, those cars belong in the past.
Forget about numbers built, its numbers on the track that count!

My eyes physically seen 5 NZV8 at Levels & then 10 V8ST's at Highlands the following Sunday, neither being acceptable for our top tier of NZ motorsport.

So in the long term who knows which will turn out to be better. One seems to be going up & the other down in competitor numbers. But there also seems to be a hell of a lot less infighting & technical "discrepancies" in the NZv8's. There are rumours of some V8ST's having different bumpers, rear hubs, engine blueprinting, gearbox parts etc etc and from what I am told the TLX is a cheaper car to run. So in the long term who knows which will turn out to be better

And on the TL's, everyone knows they are old, but they must have some appeal to both classes as both NZV8 and V8ST's both have them as support classes.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3362354)   #159
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many V8ST will be at Manfeild?

Bell - no engine
Evans - no engine (assuming Cromie wants his spare back)

Any of the others coming along? Baird, Booth, Mglaughlin?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3362356)   #160
tacmacnzl
Rookie

tacmacnzl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post

My eyes physically seen 5 NZV8 at Levels & then 10 V8ST's at Highlands the following Sunday, neither being acceptable for our top tier of NZ motorsport.

So in the long term who knows which will turn out to be better. One seems to be going up & the other down in competitor numbers. But there also seems to be a hell of a lot less infighting & technical "discrepancies" in the NZv8's. There are rumours of some V8ST's having different bumpers, rear hubs, engine blueprinting, gearbox parts etc etc and from what I am told the TLX is a cheaper car to run. So in the long term who knows which will turn out to be better

And on the TL's, everyone knows they are old, but they must have some appeal to both classes as both NZV8 and V8ST's both have them as support classes.

Happens in every series where there is actual competition..../

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
How many V8ST will be at Manfeild?

Bell - no engine

Any of the others coming along? Baird, Booth, Mglaughlin?

Surely daddy can buy a new one?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3362362)   #161
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post

In the long term for both, times have already changed quickly. The Falcon and Commodore and the large 4 door sedan are dead(except for higher end marques) or perhaps that type of car is being marginalized over the next few years. Touring car series around the world like DTM and Super GT and others are running 2 door cars. Sportscar racing around the world is doing well with many sportscar series going well.

So while the forces at work since 2007-2008 with the battle for supremacy in the NZ touring car world, the world and the car market has changed around it.

A lot of countries cannot support 2 touring car series and NZ sure cannot, at least doing it well. The sensible thing is to combine the series in some fashion of which there are several ways to do that. There needs to be a cohesive strategy formed because if people are going to put all this effort to put race meetings on for spectators and a TV audience, then the investment needs to be maximized.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 03:13 (Ref:3362367)   #162
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Happens in every series where there is actual competition....
But wasnt that supposed to be one of the advantages of the V8ST.

Identical cars (well chassis) with identical engine & identical gearboxes & identical brakes & suspension and other identical parts so that any competitor didn't have to spend money on development. And so "newbie-Neville" had the same car as say Greg Murphy.

It appears the technical regulations are hazy at least, or just very poorly enforced, so hopefully now V8ST are MSNZ sanctioned they may be able to firmly police their technical regs to stop all the shenanigans.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3362369)   #163
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
According to a post on his(Team 4) Facebook page on the 29/1 the Cromie/Murph engine has been removed & a new one was going in for Manfield. Dominic Storey is supposed to be at Manfield as well.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3362392)   #164
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbutler View Post
According to a post on his(Team 4) Facebook page on the 29/1 the Cromie/Murph engine has been removed & a new one was going in for Manfield. Dominic Storey is supposed to be at Manfield as well.
As a part owner of Team Four [Now officially known as SMEG RACING] I can confirm that Simon will be running at Manfield with a brand new engine.

I am also confident that both Dominic Storey and Eddie Bell will also be racing at Manfield, as will Chris Hanley in the United Video car, ex Craig Baird. Chris did a day's running at Taupo last Wednesday and the team were very impressed with the NZV8 Utes Championship time's and ability to adapt to the car very quickly.

Sadly Angus wont make it, as there is just to much to do, in order to repair his car to as new condition in the very tight turn-around between the 1st and 2nd rounds, However Foggy is confident that once the Pace Innovations team fly into Town, the week after the Bathurst 12 hour, that he will be at the 3rd round.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 06:16 (Ref:3362409)   #165
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Put it this way, if someone could align themselves with a Aus team that had already done most of the development that would save a huge amount of coin.
LS3 approx. $11,500
Coyote approx. $14,000
TRD approx. $##,000
you left out the Nissan?
Old 31 Jan 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3362411)   #166
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
In the long term for both, times have already changed quickly. The Falcon and Commodore and the large 4 door sedan are dead(except for higher end marques) or perhaps that type of car is being marginalized over the next few years. Touring car series around the world like DTM and Super GT and others are running 2 door cars. Sportscar racing around the world is doing well with many sportscar series going well.
high pitched RS-5s, M3s and AMG Coupes probably don't have the same appeal here... as they do in Germany. football is also big over there... here.. not so much
Old 31 Jan 2014, 07:02 (Ref:3362416)   #167
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
you left out the Nissan?
Yes, yes i did Promax. We don't have figure on that engine as yet, but i'd say as we can start with a standard VK56 Nissan V8, we should be able to do the necessary mods that are needed fairly easily.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 07:45 (Ref:3362425)   #168
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Quote:
LS3 approx. $11,500
Coyote approx. $14,000
TRD approx. $##,000
Quote:
you left out the Nissan?
Left out a lot
Old 31 Jan 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3362430)   #169
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Left out a lot
Yes i did. Not my place.
As far as Nissan goes..... Watch 'that' space.....
Old 31 Jan 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3362505)   #170
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
high pitched RS-5s, M3s and AMG Coupes probably don't have the same appeal here... as they do in Germany. football is also big over there... here.. not so much
Bathurst 12 Hour is where it's at - just like the glory days only with prettier cars...

Football is wonderful - going to watch the Phoenix tomorrow night at Eden Park
Old 1 Feb 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3363006)   #171
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia telecast

Highlands Park V8ST are on Foxtel today at 3pm and 9pm according to the guide I am looking at.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3363534)   #172
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
Somewhere around the median of that list.
14 V8ST cars for Manfield, with Foggy that would be 15 cars, unfortunately Angus's car needs a major rebuild and wont make it for this round.

So according to Promax the faithful 5 TLX cars are showing up, with 10 ragtag TL car's of various descriptions left to pad out the NZV8 field.

What will be interesting is the difference in times between the TLX cars and the V8ST cars as I think when the flag drops the bull..... will stop.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3363544)   #173
tacmacnzl
Rookie

tacmacnzl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
14 V8ST cars for Manfield, with Foggy that would be 15 cars, unfortunately Angus's car needs a major rebuild and wont make it for this round.

So according to Promax the faithful 5 TLX cars are showing up, with 10 ragtag TL car's of various descriptions left to pad out the NZV8 field.

What will be interesting is the difference in times between the TLX cars and the V8ST cars as I think when the flag drops the bull..... will stop.

How is this still eligible?

I thought TL spec was limited to AU Falcon and the equivalent Holden model?
Old 3 Feb 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3363552)   #174
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark

you already know the difference in times between V8ST and TLX - in fact it appears to be really important to you.

comparing the two is like apples and oranges

It puzzles me why you continue with this sort of thing - both classes are very separately in both construction, brake package, suspension and engine

Bit like comparing Formula Ford with Formula First.

yes the V8ST is faster - and so it should be - but does speed make it the best - after the display at Highlands with only 9 cars finally running - I do not think so

Both Touring Car groups are struggling and I have yet to see a workable solution for either of them.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3363614)   #175
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
when the flag drops the bull..... will stop.
I'm not hopeful, unfortunately. Would be nice if everyone could agree to differ and simply support for their chosen/both series instead of each trying to bring down the other.