Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Aug 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2277948)   #1
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hybrid LMP car at PLM!

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4732

I hope it hasn't been posted, but here it is!, Very interesting news!, and finally we can see what these Hybrids can do!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2278023)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=4732

I hope it hasn't been posted, but here it is!, Very interesting news!, and finally we can see what these Hybrids can do!
Quote:
The Zytek LMP1 Hybrid
The car is based on a Zytek 07S carbon fiber/aluminum monocoque employing typical wishbone suspension with rack and pinion steering and fitted with a Ricardo six-speed sequential gearbox using a Zytek electronic gear shift system. The car will be powered through a combination of an ethanol-fueled internal combustion engine and a three-phase induction electric motor.

The ethanol-fueled engine is a newly designed Zytek 90-degree normally aspirated 4.5-liter V8 with four overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder with an output of 625 hp. The electric motor is a direct drive Zytek proprietary design powered by an on-board lithium-ion energy storage system with a KERS (kinetic energy recovery) supplemental regeneration system.

The heart of the system is the energy storage/battery system which enables the collection and conversion of mechanical energy to electrical energy permitting use of the electric motor resulting in more efficient power and a lower carbon footprint. The lithium-ion battery used on the car is supplied by Zytek shareholder Continental AG of Germany.
Very Cool
Old 30 Aug 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2278027)   #3
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently the electric bit will give an extra 40bhp, but not continually. According to the article in Autosport, at Road Atlanta they are talking about 10 seconds on the brakes giving eight seconds of extra power, which presumably they'll use on the straights and under acceleration. Will certainly be interesting.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2278049)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just reading the Autosport article too. It sounds great, both parties sound like they're extremely passionate about it. ACO open to ideas and hopefully they'll grant an LM24 invite.

They said the unit weighs only around 70kg which seems good and sounds like it was packaged into the chassis quite easily.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2278065)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
My question is ..... Im surprised that LNT arnt going that route ..... but they havent really announced their race plans yet either . Wonder what that will turn up ?

Is it true that Biela will head the team , with Mowlem & Jeanette ?
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2278066)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think LNT is concentrating on the Ginetta G50 project.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2278076)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think so , they are part owner of Zytek now , and there was a rumour knocking about of a LMP1 plan .

Whats this ?

http://www.endurance-info.com/2008_A...saZytek_01.jpg

Is it the "new" Zytek ?
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2278080)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I know they have shares in Zytek. They have plans to put a Zytek engine in a Ginetta G50.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2278084)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I dont think so , they are part owner of Zytek now , and there was a rumour knocking about of a LMP1 plan .

Whats this ?

Is it the "new" Zytek ?
The ethanol-fueled engine is a newly designed Zytek 90-degree normally aspirated 4.5-liter V8 with four overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder with an output of 625 hp. The electric motor is a direct drive Zytek proprietary design powered by an on-board lithium-ion energy storage system with a KERS (kinetic energy recovery) supplemental regeneration system.

The new car is called the Q10 .

Last edited by The Badger; 30 Aug 2008 at 13:51.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2278105)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whats this ?

Is it the "new" Zytek ?
That is the car, ex-Arena apparently.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2278197)   #11
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The new car is called the Q10 .

when they say new engine, how new is new?......sounds like they have just added the motor system onto the current LMP1 V8, which was roumoured to be beinging bored out to 4.5 litres......40bhp on top of 625bhp (665bhp), with an extra 70Kg is not going to get Audi or intersport worried me thinks, but it sounds like a very interesting project........ lets be honest the ALMS needs some more LMP1 competitors..........full credit to the people having the balls to run this sort of project, I'm currently working on hybrid technology myself, and the more interest projects like this create, the more my shares grow in value!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2278209)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
when they say new engine, how new is new?......sounds like they have just added the motor system onto the current LMP1 V8, which was roumoured to be beinging bored out to 4.5 litres......40bhp on top of 625bhp (665bhp), with an extra 70Kg is not going to get Audi or intersport worried me thinks, but it sounds like a very interesting project........ lets be honest the ALMS needs some more LMP1 competitors..........full credit to the people having the balls to run this sort of project, I'm currently working on hybrid technology myself, and the more interest projects like this create, the more my shares grow in value!
The 70kg is mostly moot though, as the car still comes in at #1880 supposedly. Spec

L.P.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2278213)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
The 70kg is mostly moot though, as the car still comes in at #1880 supposedly. Spec

L.P.
Really, the chassis is still based upon the original Reynard 675 formula, so making the weight shouldn't have ever been an issue. In all probability, it is going to come down to the reliability of the system and transmission.

The car had to be ballasted up, so instead of the ballast, you now have extra power.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2278219)   #14
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, think that chassis will complete 10 years of racing
Old 30 Aug 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2278253)   #15
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I'm confused about, this isn't a Hybrid in the sense of a Prius or Insight, it's merely a petrol engine with a KERS system, correct?

Also, will it run E10 or E85? I've read conflicting stories about it...
Old 30 Aug 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2278437)   #16
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish
E10 according to alms.com.

I'm confused about one thing... since the (2008) regs does not have an article* about KERS, is it simply a case of "when it's not exclusively forbidden, it's allowed"?

Under what rules the Panoz Q9 run back in 1998?

* well actually does have - article 1.13, but it just says "The ACO is currently studying specific rules for LMP1 which will be equipped with a kinetic energy recovery system."
Old 31 Aug 2008, 00:03 (Ref:2278445)   #17
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
E10 according to alms.com.

I'm confused about one thing... since the (2008) regs does not have an article* about KERS, is it simply a case of "when it's not exclusively forbidden, it's allowed"?

Under what rules the Panoz Q9 run back in 1998?

* well actually does have - article 1.13, but it just says "The ACO is currently studying specific rules for LMP1 which will be equipped with a kinetic energy recovery system."
That is why it will run in the ALMS first, they will allow it to run under a waiver.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 03:19 (Ref:2278477)   #18
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish
One thing I'm confused about, this isn't a Hybrid in the sense of a Prius or Insight, it's merely a petrol engine with a KERS system, correct?

KERS is just F1 way of saying hybrid. Combining a gas engine with an electirc engine that recaptures energy and uses it to assist the gas engine makes the car a hybrid.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2278480)   #19
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
That is why it will run in the ALMS first, they will allow it to run under a waiver.
You're sure or just an opinion?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 04:01 (Ref:2278485)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a positive stand on his part, but if they made an exception for the MC12 to run and the GT2S class, I'm sure they could make an LMP1H class. And the continuous advertising for how "green" the series is would make it hard for them to say no thanks to adding a car like that to the series' premiere event.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2278790)   #21
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the ACO are quite keen to see what it can do
Old 31 Aug 2008, 17:04 (Ref:2278836)   #22
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
That is the car, ex-Arena apparently.
Looks like there are some rear-wing changes though. Good to see they haven't stood still with the car.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2279638)   #23
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
You're sure or just an opinion?

According the the in depth piece with Johnny Mowlem on DSC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc
As the extent of the usability of the Hybrid system is still to be determined, according to Scott Atherton, IMSA will be allowing the car to run under a waiver, with the blessing of all involved. “This is a new technology for all involved. IMSA, the ACO and the FIA, as well as some experts in the field, are working to confirm what appropriate technical specifications might be appropriate and will the run computer simulations to confirm. This will be ideal for fact finding of what the real life expectations might be.”
I suspect the ACO would pretty rapidly come up with rules to accommodate it if they seriously wanted to come to Le Mans in June.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2279655)   #24
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting, that Zytek still pushing the hybrid technology. Tehy supplied to engine/generator for the Panoz Q9 over ten years ago, as the first.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2279670)   #25
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
in terms of racing-hybrid this sounds like an evolved version of the Panoz system from 10 years ago, this seems to be partially admitted in the DSC report........ but with the latest technology of batteries, to my knowledge the battery side of things has come a long way in 10 years.

in the road car industry Zytek are really big players in the hybrid world for both retro-fit systems, and clean sheet designs....... they have big links with several major motor manufacturers and I think its now a major source of income for the company, I get the impression the racing side of Zytek is now more of a hobby / name exposere kind of activity.

best of luck me says as this will be a win-win situation for everyone involved........one thing is for sure, the ACO love new technology so you can bet your pants it will be at LeMans 09