Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 2 Apr 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1567880)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will Simmons Replace Dana at RLR??

The Indy Star reported this morning, and ESPN.com reported yesterday, that Jeff Simmons may be the driver that will replace the late Paul Dana in the third Rahal-Letterman car for the rest of the season.

Simmons responded that this is "premature<' but that he would welcome the opportunity to drive the car, if it is offered.

The sponsor, Ethanol, will have the final say in who does get the seat, and they will meet with Rahal when he returns from Asia, where his son, Graham, is competing in an A1 GP.

An announcemen may come as early as Tuesday.

The story also stated that Simmons was one of a number of drivers that Rahal has considered or placed forth to the sponsor.

Could get interesting this week.

Stay tuned.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Apr 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1568012)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeff would be a great choice, he's showed real promise already. Truth be told, he's probably a better driver than Dana was.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1568114)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Simmons would make an excellent choice.
Old 2 Apr 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1568127)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO the line up wouldn't seem as solid as last year when it was Rice, Meria and Danica.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1570719)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its official. http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=6284
Old 4 Apr 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1570742)   #6
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
The Indy Star reported this morning, and ESPN.com reported yesterday, that Simmons may be the driver that will replace the late Paul Dana in the third Rahal-Letterman car for the rest of the season.

Simmons responded that this is "premature<' but that he would welcome the opportunity to drive the car, if it is offered.

An announcemen may come as early as Tuesday.
Could get interesting this week.

Stay tuned.
Wow..putting the Rock Legend Gene Simmons in Paul Dana's car would be a BRILLIANT MARKETING STROKE!

He did a fabulous job in winding up the crowd with the 'Start Your Engines' command last Sunday at St. Pete...who knows what sorts of flashy antics he might come up with within the grid, especially if he dons his KISS costume and makeup while driving?!

I hadn't heard of this before...but count me IMPRESSED.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1570759)   #7
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if that was meant to be a joke or not, but it's Jeff Simmons, not Gene
Old 4 Apr 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1570783)   #8
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
it's Jeff Simmons, not Gene
Oh...THAT Simmons...

Nevermind then.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1570956)   #9
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
...and it WAS actually my (most recent) attempt al lame humor...Gene Simmons made a pathetic display of his Race Start announcement...
Old 5 Apr 2006, 00:23 (Ref:1571014)   #10
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
eh, I think having him do it is better than some random executive from the race sponsor like usually happens in NASCAR.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1571098)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's official!
IRL website reports it. I couldn't agree more with the choice; after all that's what IPS was meant to be for.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1571418)   #12
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
eh, I think having him do it is better than some random executive from the race sponsor like usually happens in NASCAR.
Point taken.

I was actually pondering the thought of a Kiss-themed race team...Smmons could bite the head off a rat if he ever made podium...cutting blades attached to the wheels a' la Ben Hur...pit crew in black capes, etc, etc.

Carried a bit further, Helio could go full-bore into the Spiderman theme...throw a 'web' of ropes out to trap the other cars, swing into his car from the start stand at the call for 'Drivers to cars', shoot silly string at the others on podium...Danica could go for a 'Wonder Woman' thing...with an invisible car and driver suit..oops - off topic - sorry. Think of the possibilities!

HEY perhaps such a development could draw fans away from Stock Car racing!
Old 7 Apr 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1573053)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leaving the Crazy Crazy Night Races aside, Jeff's a great choice - one of the most capable young US drivers around, waiting in the wings for a long time. Agreed that he's not as strong as Meira, but at least Vitor has a good ride as well. All we can do is move on from what's happened and hope Rahal can make the best of a difficult time.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1573067)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I can't quite remember but didn't Jeff race last year for someone if so how well did he do? Sorry my memory has gone lately.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1573256)   #15
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
he didn't race in Indycar in '05, but he did do the Indy 500 for Mo Nunn and a race at the end of the season as one of the parade of drivers in the Patrick car after Lil' Al retired in '04.