Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 21 Feb 2023, 15:16 (Ref:4144380)   #851
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
A few members of my family who have been tell me how good it is round certain points and the noise is something else. Earplugs they tell me are definitely required!
No. Never worn them. I've watched from pretty much everywhere, both legal and not so. Far, near and very near..... I've never felt the need for ear protection anywhere, even back when the cars were much louder than they are these days.
Old 21 Feb 2023, 15:28 (Ref:4144381)   #852
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No. Never worn them. I've watched from pretty much everywhere, both legal and not so. Far, near and very near..... I've never felt the need for ear protection anywhere, even back when the cars were much louder than they are these days.
But you do have radio headphones i think andrew,
Old 21 Feb 2023, 15:50 (Ref:4144383)   #853
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
But you do have radio headphones i think andrew,
To listen to the radio, not to defend my ears.....
Old 22 Feb 2023, 09:16 (Ref:4144474)   #854
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well a lot of people would be lost without Radio Le Mans. And some people can kill two birds with one stone by listening to them on their headphones
Old 22 Feb 2023, 11:31 (Ref:4144495)   #855
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i usually have my headphones on listening to the race but often with one ear pad clear of my ear to listen to those around me and also hear the glorious sound of the cars i hve travelled hundreds of miles to hear.
Old 22 Feb 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4144498)   #856
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do prefer the quieter sound near Ford/Motul Chicane and the acceleration as cars cross the line. Prefer bass sounds- although do remember a week with very little hearing after 3 loud concerts at Hammersmith Odeon in 5 days or so yoiu van have too much bass.

The higher pitched noise further up the straight especially at night when the noise just bounces around off all the concrete did get a bit much for me after 30 minutes or so.

Driving up there for early Saturday Parade laps at Classic (3 plus a extra start finish straight) at Classic in 2018 was brilliant though - quite a few more V8s and V12s than modern field.
Old 22 Feb 2023, 12:11 (Ref:4144499)   #857
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having fun with a slight change to our group, 3 weeks to sort one and then another pops up.

For GE tickets (WE and practice verses GE full week). Is the wisdom for Friday pm that track (trcak walk etc) and stands etc pretty much open to all (including locals with no tickets) for parades and fireworks etc. A no roof GS would be good then - just like for the Patrouille de France.

But that the pretty much overcrowded normally pitwalk requires a full week ticket for access?
Old 22 Feb 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4144502)   #858
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
Having fun with a slight change to our group, 3 weeks to sort one and then another pops up.

For GE tickets (WE and practice verses GE full week). Is the wisdom for Friday pm that track (trcak walk etc) and stands etc pretty much open to all (including locals with no tickets) for parades and fireworks etc. A no roof GS would be good then - just like for the Patrouille de France.

But that the pretty much overcrowded normally pitwalk requires a full week ticket for access?
Not sure about that. Weren't they selling 'week' tickets with no Friday access to limit numbers? Have I remembered that right?
Old 22 Feb 2023, 12:33 (Ref:4144504)   #859
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

On the current schedule for the Friday pitwalk it says:
Quote:
Anyone with an admission ticket valid for the whole week can wander along the pitlane when it opens to the public.
So that implies it is ticketed and also they did start randomly selling tickets which didn't include Friday. For me I don't really think it's been explained yet what that Friday PM entails beyond there's a parade and some TBC concerts. But I'm assuming it's ticketed.
Old 22 Feb 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4144506)   #860
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Can understand restrictions to pitwalk on Friday

but can't see GS and concrete terrace opposite straight/pits etc getting as packed on Friday evening as couple of hours or so before the race on Saturday. Plus you'd expect town to be let in for 100 years anniversary?

Also if you can walk track and that includes Mulsanne car shows etc I can't see how access to track can be restricted on Friday pm? Although track must close 7.30pm? before parades etc and clearing crowds out into non-ticketed stands easier than sending them back to Porsche curves and Mulsanne corner etc.

Have 5 full week tickets plus one with Wed, Thurs & WE tickets and not sure rying to contact ACO and swapping around is worth it?
Old 23 Feb 2023, 14:00 (Ref:4144650)   #861
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Plus you'd expect town to be let in for 100 years anniversary?
No, I don't think I'd expect that....

Quote:
Have 5 full week tickets plus one with Wed, Thurs & WE tickets and not sure trying to contact ACO and swapping around is worth it?
I doubt if it will bear fruit. I had cause to ask about a swap a few weeks back and was met with a point blank 'We're completely sold out, we have nothing to swap with' response.
Old 23 Feb 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4144655)   #862
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The one thing I love about IMSA is the open access with only one ticket. All of these restrictions based on what ticket you bought is ridiculous.
Old 23 Feb 2023, 14:21 (Ref:4144656)   #863
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
The one thing I love about IMSA is the open access with only one ticket. All of these restrictions based on what ticket you bought is ridiculous.
So the ticket gives you parking, entrance, grandstand and camping?
Old 23 Feb 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4144658)   #864
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
So the ticket gives you parking, entrance, grandstand and camping?
Everything except for the camping and infield parking, but they do have free parking available outside the infield. Access to any location on the track and the paddock area is included in the general admission pass.
Old 23 Feb 2023, 15:03 (Ref:4144661)   #865
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Not sure about that. Weren't they selling 'week' tickets with no Friday access to limit numbers? Have I remembered that right?
So if your campsite is within the GE zone and you have a non friday ticket you could have problems, Get there thursday or earlier and leave the circuit and you can not get back in until Saturday. Or stay in the circuit illegally.
Old 23 Feb 2023, 17:43 (Ref:4144683)   #866
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Lots of terms derive from English and European horsey terms.

Nothing like English horse race meetings for multiple classes and enclosure distinctions.
Old 24 Feb 2023, 09:32 (Ref:4144747)   #867
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I am not convinced they will keep the paddock / pit lane access pre race in Daytona the way they did as it was a complete log jam at times and there were Drivers struggling to get through.

I loved the access though - the trouble is, these things can be a victim of their own success as there is no way you could give that access to all 300,000 expected at Le Mans
Old 24 Feb 2023, 13:37 (Ref:4144779)   #868
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I am not convinced they will keep the paddock / pit lane access pre race in Daytona the way they did as it was a complete log jam at times and there were Drivers struggling to get through.

I loved the access though - the trouble is, these things can be a victim of their own success as there is no way you could give that access to all 300,000 expected at Le Mans
Just seems to me that the ACO has done more to increase revenue than to improve on the fan experience. The entire ticketing process has become more of a matter of confusion.

Just for comparison, the Petit Le Mans has over 150,000 spectators and the track is only 2.54 miles around. Fan density is never a problem there. Not all fans at any track flock to the paddock area at the same time. Even at the Petit, when they have the pre-race grid walk, many will stay away in order to avoid the crowds. Seems to be self-regulating. Fan participation is the hallmark of American Le Mans.
Old 24 Feb 2023, 13:50 (Ref:4144781)   #869
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just seems to me that the ACO has done more to increase revenue than to improve on the fan experience. The entire ticketing process has become more of a matter of confusion.

Just for comparison, the Petit Le Mans has over 150,000 spectators and the track is only 2.54 miles around. Fan density is never a problem there. Not all fans at any track flock to the paddock area at the same time. Even at the Petit, when they have the pre-race grid walk, many will stay away in order to avoid the crowds. Seems to be self-regulating. Fan participation is the hallmark of American Le Mans.
The ACO's process this year has certainly not been good - I will not comment of the zones and division of the fans until I see how it works.

Also - whilst the LM track is a lot longer the fan area is restricted largely to the section from Porsche curves to Tertre Rouge The majority of which will be in the section from the Ford chicane to Tertre Rouge which is probably a fair bit less than 2.5 miles
Old 24 Feb 2023, 15:09 (Ref:4144793)   #870
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The ACO's process this year has certainly not been good - I will not comment of the zones and division of the fans until I see how it works.

Also - whilst the LM track is a lot longer the fan area is restricted largely to the section from Porsche curves to Tertre Rouge The majority of which will be in the section from the Ford chicane to Tertre Rouge which is probably a fair bit less than 2.5 miles
Well, it's not like RA's 2.54 mile course is completely available to spectators. Much of the track is heavily wooded area. Not restricted by ticket. Just by mother nature.

https://www.roadatlanta.com/track-in...mrra/track-map

A view of grid walk from last year:
Old 24 Feb 2023, 15:22 (Ref:4144796)   #871
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare Le Mans with the Petit. Just pointing out that the ticketing system is much better at the US tracks. Far less confusing.

Here's an areal shot of RA that I love:

I have to admit, that RA is my "home" track and I love going there. Just can't beat the intimacy of the track. It has a ton of personality for such a small track.
Old 24 Feb 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4144798)   #872
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be fair Le Mans hasn't really been all that complicated in recent years. GE got you a good amount of access (Test Day all track sessions and race. Tues autograph session. Pitlane on Friday. You can go in the paddock most of the time. Also any grandstand you want outside of the race day).

It's just for this year the ACO's head fell off slightly and they decided to make it a bit more complicated. And in the case of the Friday stuff it's not been adequately explained a) what is happening and b) how ticketing will work/be enforced. Most likely because they didn't quite know the answer to any of those questions.
Old 24 Feb 2023, 15:53 (Ref:4144801)   #873
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
To be fair Le Mans hasn't really been all that complicated in recent years. GE got you a good amount of access (Test Day all track sessions and race. Tues autograph session. Pitlane on Friday. You can go in the paddock most of the time. Also any grandstand you want outside of the race day).

It's just for this year the ACO's head fell off slightly and they decided to make it a bit more complicated. And in the case of the Friday stuff it's not been adequately explained a) what is happening and b) how ticketing will work/be enforced. Most likely because they didn't quite know the answer to any of those questions.
OK, so this is a 2023 thing. Just seemed to me that there was WAY too much confusion over ticketing than I would expect.

For years I've thought about making the pilgrimage to Le Mans Meca, but this year has discouraged me to do so. For now, it's IMSA based Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen and the Petit Le Mans. It's been pretty much my staple for a couple of decades now. Don't always make it to all but several are just manditory.
Old 24 Feb 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4144819)   #874
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Yes.... this.

Quote:
For years I've thought about making the pilgrimage to Le Mans Meca, but this year has discouraged me to do so. For now, it's IMSA based Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen and the Petit Le Mans. It's been pretty much my staple for a couple of decades now. Don't always make it to all but several are just manditory.
2024 might be a better bet, although it's anyone's guess what the ACO will do next year. I seriously hope they'll revert to the previous set up. I guess it depends upon whether this year's seemingly shambolic and completely unexplained affair (in most spectators' eyes) is a success - for them (and those who have paid vast amounts of money to benefit from what has been lost by the paying customers....).
Old 25 Feb 2023, 08:58 (Ref:4144849)   #875
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
If it’s mainly safety related then can’t see change in 2024 apart from more parking as this could be a traffic/parking disaster this year.

Revenue from GSs down as manufacturers freebee packages. GE and everything sold early bird so expect this to be more limited.

Pushing camping away allows for bigger trade village and going forward a few years - premium camping sites closer in with EV charging options.

Fan zones further out just mean more control over beer and food.

Hope it doesn’t really backfire after 2024 when manufacturers and fan interest starts to wain.
Closed Thread