Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 21 Nov 2003, 21:32 (Ref:791049)   #26
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did a meeting at snett in oct, 3 of the championships backed up formula palmer practice on the saturday, with a double header entry fee of 275 pounds,the atmosphere was such it might as was well be run behind closed doors if it took 30-40 pounds of the entry, it might have improved the day!
Old 22 Nov 2003, 15:46 (Ref:791497)   #27
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by vaughan jones
did a meeting at snett in oct, 3 of the championships backed up formula palmer practice on the saturday, with a double header entry fee of 275 pounds,the atmosphere was such it might as was well be run behind closed doors if it took 30-40 pounds of the entry, it might have improved the day!
My point exactly.
So many club meetings run with a quantity of spectators that can be counted with the fingers of one hand (not including thumbs!) that any reduction in entry fee would be welcome.
For example Rockingham on 4th October; no more than 2 people in the grandstand.
Dispite running with about 25% of the required marshals, the marshals still outnumbered the spectators!!
Old 22 Nov 2003, 23:24 (Ref:791708)   #28
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by johnw
What about the drivers taking responsibility for the promotion, and pocketing the gate money? It's a risk, but if it worked it would offset the increased entry fees.

If we are not willing to do it, why expect anyone else to?
John,
I'm working on a business plan that covers just this, and the figures are very enlightening.
If you can get 5,000 spectators at a tenner each = £50k income. Even deducting the costs of a decent (if relatively basic) marketing programme, there's still £30k profit available. Which would make a major dent in the cost of putting on the meeting in the first place (average cost of a day meeting is £40-50k).
The key question is really, can you get 5,000 paying spectators? Well, Castle Combe can, and I believe the potential is for closer to 15,000.
The next question is how? Well as that's the heart of the business, I'm sorry but I can't tell you till you pay me! But I've worked in marketing for long enough to know that these sorts of figures are very achievable. We'll be approaching potential partners/clients in the next few months, so if we can get them to listen, we would expect to run some trials next season.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 02:55 (Ref:791807)   #29
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HiRich
Understand that you want to keep your initiative secure, but can you explain the one day meeting cost breakdown please?
Cheers
John
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:22 (Ref:792070)   #30
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's a lot to get through the gates for a 'clubbie' meeting. They only manage 14k for BTCC.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 12:17 (Ref:792101)   #31
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are all labouring under the missaprehension that those involved in the organisation of our sport are in the slightest bit interested in how many spectators it attracts.
This is understandable as with the present arrangement it makes no difference to them financially.
It seems logical to me that if spectators are to be invited to the circuit by the circuit operater, then they should pay the costs of insuring them.
As it is now the competitors are subsidising their profits.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 12:31 (Ref:792103)   #32
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could easilty get 5,000 for clubbies at brands if the weathers good. I reckon the 750MC two day meeting could do that on both days - but its not being promoted in the right way... bear in mind 30 minutes from brands you've got wimbledon bangers and the last meeting was a 10,000 sell out...
Old 23 Nov 2003, 17:18 (Ref:792257)   #33
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnw,
Sorry, I was working from memory. The actual figure is about £25k for a day meet. Give or take a bit, this breaks down as:
50% on track hire
10% insurance
15% on timekeepers, medical, and general admin
25% on 'other'
The figures are from the Association Of British Motor Racing Clubs and would indicate that applying restrictions to reduce insurance costs ain't going to have a major impact on entry fees.